DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 1, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #8,341 of 13,478
Really? I find the difference between my iPhone 6s Plus (which I find a bit better audio-wise than my wife’s S9) to be a much worse audio device for all my headphones - from the IEMs (easily driven CA) and particularly the harder to drive Planar, but even the Meze 99 classics (which are very easy to drive) sound a lot better with the Amp1mkII. Not just more power/louder, but more open, more detail, clearer. Tidal HiFi as the source for both. The Amp9 has a different flavor, but the Amp1mkII remains pretty excellent. And that’s just using SE output - balanced (for the HiFiMan and Meze, which I have a balanced cable for) and the difference is really immense.

I have a Amp9 coming by the end of the week. How would you describe the sound? Is it a keeper for you?

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #8,342 of 13,478
Headphones I tested with AMP1mk2's balanced and single ended outputs:

Aeon Flow Closed ($800) (balanced)
Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless ($700) (used with its single ended cable)
Beyerdynamic t5p gen2 ($800) (single ended)
Audio Technica ATH-m70x ($300) (single ended)

So far I couldn't hear anything better than my Galaxy's headphone jack output. Some certain songs even sound worse on the DX220...

People often call DX220 neutral but it is certainly not. I can't find the words to describe it but the sound is wrong, congested and unnatural.

I still have my bets on the incoming AMP8
I would have the 220 checked out. Something just doesn't seem right if the sound is off that much.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #8,344 of 13,478
Sadly I don't have access to returning or selling the product.

With which headphones it sounded very good? If you used the big boys aka. Utopia or Abbys 1226 the sound should be good regardless of the DAP. These very TOTL cans often sound good so they are not ideal for testing source gears' quality.

A TOTL headphone is precisely what you would use to test the quality of source

My 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #8,345 of 13,478
In my opinion, DX220 with its stock amp is a garbage product. Many published data about the device is also fradulent ( 8-9 hours of battery?) . In Europe you can't publish wrong fradulent statistics about a product (if you do you gonna be punished) but it is China, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #8,347 of 13,478
Other misleading fradulent datas on their website:

"Charges to 70% in just an hour" - no it doesn't please just try

"The DX220 is the first portable player to support two-way Bluetooth 5.0, which provides native support for LDAC and aptX" : This sentence claims that LDAC and aptX is avaible for two-way transmission. But LDAC and aptX can only be used for sending Bluetooth, they cannot be used for receiving Bluetooth (only SBC works there)

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #8,348 of 13,478
Other misleading fradulent datas on their website:

"Charges to 70% in just an hour" - no it doesn't please just try

"The DX220 is the first portable player to support two-way Bluetooth 5.0, which provides native support for LDAC and aptX" : This sentence claims that LDAC and aptX is avaible for two-way transmission. But LDAC and aptX can only be used for sending Bluetooth, they cannot be used for receiving Bluetooth (only SBC works there)
What cable are you using? You need one that can handle the amperage and that would be best with a USB 3 cable. They could have been more clear on the aptX etc., but it does support it. I have used it to Bt headphones with LDAC and it is very good.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #8,349 of 13,478
I see that you have DX220 + AMP8 + AFC . I am on the same boat, I am waiting for the AMP8 to arrive.

So far I am not satisfied with the AFC+ DX220 w/AMP1mk2 setup. The sound is overly thin. How would you describe the sound of your DX220 +AFC with AMP1, AMP8 and AMP9 ?
I really have no idea why you would say the DX220 + amp1mk2 sounds "overly thin"

I too had the DX200 and sold it to get something faster (R6). But the R6 has died on me and i'm still contemplating sending it in to get fixed.
I also had the M11 and the UI/speed was terrific. I took a blind chance on the DX220 and i'm glad I bought it. I haven't touched the M11 ever since the DX220 arrived.

I'm getting around 4hours listening to FLAC/Amazon HD and don't mind it much anymore since the sound coming out of it is terrific. Any IEMs I throw at it, I can hear the improvement over the M11.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #8,350 of 13,478
I really have no idea why you would say the DX220 + amp1mk2 sounds "overly thin"

I too had the DX200 and sold it to get something faster (R6). But the R6 has died on me and i'm still contemplating sending it in to get fixed.
I also had the M11 and the UI/speed was terrific. I took a blind chance on the DX220 and i'm glad I bought it. I haven't touched the M11 ever since the DX220 arrived.

I'm getting around 4hours listening to FLAC/Amazon HD and don't mind it much anymore since the sound coming out of it is terrific. Any IEMs I throw at it, I can hear the improvement over the M11.
That’s interesting. I own both the M11 and the 220. I find in android mode the 220 is no better than the M11 . Having said that the M11 can’t play Amazon HD . But,if playing music from your sd card the differences are not so great. Using Mango OS...well you enter a different world. Sublime. I don’t use IEM,full scale headphones,both devices drive most of my headphones with ease. Battery life with the 220 seems to be an issue. I get longer than 4 hours though,6 to 7 I would think.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #8,351 of 13,478
That’s interesting. I own both the M11 and the 220. I find in android mode the 220 is no better than the M11 . Having said that the M11 can’t play Amazon HD . But,if playing music from your sd card the differences are not so great. Using Mango OS...well you enter a different world. Sublime. I don’t use IEM,full scale headphones,both devices drive most of my headphones with ease. Battery life with the 220 seems to be an issue. I get longer than 4 hours though,6 to 7 I would think.
On Android mode with both playing Tidal.
The first IEM I tested with the DX220 was my audiosense T800, which seemed to be lacking bass with the M11. Once I plugged it into the DX220, it came alive.
Next was Andromeda, and it was the same way. Vocals were much more lush.
Same conclusion for all of my IEMs on both SE and balance.

With that said, if the DX220 had similar speed as the M11, it would be the perfect DAP for me.

My Amp8 gets delivered today, so I can't wait to hear it.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #8,352 of 13,478
It’s of value to hear different perceptions. I really rate the M11, think it’s exceptional. I don’t use it for streaming though,I use amazon hd with the ibasso. And you use iems,I use headphones and there may be a difference there. But,as said,using Mango OS is a revelation it is a pure delight. I do miss the fact I can’t read lyrics and the like but the sound more than compensates for that. On balance the 220 is my favourite dap,and I own too many,but the M11 gets plenty of use,especially when using Bluetooth. My own perception is that ibasso and fiio are leading the way in providing audio excellence without raping bank accounts.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #8,353 of 13,478
It’s of value to hear different perceptions. I really rate the M11, think it’s exceptional. I don’t use it for streaming though,I use amazon hd with the ibasso. And you use iems,I use headphones and there may be a difference there. But,as said,using Mango OS is a revelation it is a pure delight. I do miss the fact I can’t read lyrics and the like but the sound more than compensates for that. On balance the 220 is my favourite dap,and I own too many,but the M11 gets plenty of use,especially when using Bluetooth. My own perception is that ibasso and fiio are leading the way in providing audio excellence without raping bank accounts.
I do like Mango as well but I stream about 50% of the time.
I still think the M11 is the best bang for the $$

Hiby should be added to the list of excellent chi-fi companies leading the way. :ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #8,354 of 13,478
Actually you are right. Hiby should be added. If I had the money I would buy the R6 pro tomorrow. I have had a play with it, the 220 sounds better,but it sounds great and the UI is simply the best. Yes,some awesome daps out there. Hope you enjoy the amp 8. I like it,but I like the stock amp too. On a side note I have to say I am impressed with Amazon HD,opened my mind to new music as well.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #8,355 of 13,478
Actually you are right. Hiby should be added. If I had the money I would buy the R6 pro tomorrow. I have had a play with it, the 220 sounds better,but it sounds great and the UI is simply the best. Yes,some awesome daps out there. Hope you enjoy the amp 8. I like it,but I like the stock amp too. On a side note I have to say I am impressed with Amazon HD,opened my mind to new music as well.
Amazon HD has been great. I cancelled Tidal because of it.
I hope Amazon/FiiO has a fix for Amazon HD soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back