DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 3, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,891 of 13,478
May 3, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,892 of 13,478
Lol, this is why I have trouble telling whether people are trying to make fun of me or are being serious. I won't be making anything as I may as well be technically illiterate. I just want as much meaningful knowledge of this device as I can get easily so I can decide its fate. Don't other daps run into the same potential issue, if there really is any here to begin with?

May 3, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,893 of 13,478
The DX228 is starting to open up again for me. Overall I'd say around 30 hours of burn-in with a clear setback after the 5 hours I wasn't playing music through it. The sound is bolder and bigger. Curiously the width of the soundstage isn't increasing to my ears, it's more of a depth. I could perceive layering when the device sounded poorly but it was more a matter of recession and flat clumps on a z axis than anything to praise. Now the depth is more naturally filled out. Things sound less grainy and dull too, more vibrant and clearer. This is the progress I was referring to earlier. What I'd like to see is further refinement, clearer, more defined, and more vibrant sound. I would also really like to see the soundstage expand in width. Hopefully the burn-in effects aren't mostly front-loaded. Also, vocal presence has improved on the ier-z1r with burn-in. This is an encouraging checkpoint. I'd say that the expected nature of amp8 with the DX220 is big and bold sound.

I briefly compared the Mango app in Android OS with Mango OS. Don't think I heard much of a difference but I can give more extended listens later. Currently listening to Otto's Journey by Mylo (M4A 16 bit 44.1 khz 128 kbps so lower quality file [was burned from a CD which I still have, don't know how to burn to FLAC]) and it sounds good, engaging, there is some holographic space (which is notable as normally holographic space is not something I hear, and I've put as much as around $4000 of value in a grouping of good full-size headphones, dac, and amp and I also heard no holographic sound with the Campfire Solaris and ZX300), bass is controlled, some good expression in higher frequencies which is an area of concern with the ier-z1r for me. Overall this is certainly encouraging and I can tell this sound is on another level from the Sony ZX300 I had experience with previously.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,894 of 13,478
There's also Cayin PH-4X 4.4mm or MEE Audio 4.4mm

MusicTeck: https://shop.musicteck.com/products/cayin-ph-4x-4-4mm-trrrs-to-2-5mm-trrs-balanced-adaptor
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cayin-PH-4X-4-4mm-Balanced-Adaptor/dp/B07MZBG5HT

0558428834_1024x1024.png

MEE Audio
https://www.meeaudio.com/BalancedAdapters/

ADPTR-BAL-44MM__54174.1530643389.630.630.jpg

Along the same line, for those of us who now have 4.4 balanced cables with our Solaris (and other earphones), anybody want to recommend good 2.5 male to 4.4 female balanced adapters?

It would be nice if there was an adapter that did not include a cable.

May 3, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #1,895 of 13,478
I am curious how iBasso don't either do the best job or don't at least incorporate improvements but it doesn't seem like what these two guys do is against rules. In fact, I recall Whitiger claiming iBasso even encourages or at least accommodates this sort of thing. I certainly won't jump to anyone's third-party firmware without having some key questions answered though and people vouching for the effect and safety.

May 3, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,897 of 13,478
May 3, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,898 of 13,478
May 3, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #1,899 of 13,478
Dunu has finished cable with similar connectors like that for 299USD, kinda pricey: https://penonaudio.com/dunu-hulk.html

Expensive but but looks like a better build quality. One issue with what I posted is there are no markings, so you might have to look at the connections on the internet use a method (for example, using a multimeter) to find out which cable should be connected to which pin.

Is it possible to convert a 3.5mm cable to 4.4mm balanced cheaply and actually?

Unfortunately you cannot use an adaptor for converting a 3.5mm single ended a balanced connection, as you need to separate the common pole of the single ended connection. If you trust in your skills and OK with modifying your original cable, you can either use something like I postet and be able to use your cable for nearly every scenario. Or maybe you can just buy the connector you want and solder that. Maybe you can find a service/shop that would do it for you.

May 3, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #1,900 of 13,478
If you never used Rockchip software (AndroidTool, FactoryTool...) before, you may have to install Rockchip drivers for the loader mode. But if your device is recognized as ADB, it means, the device does not enter the Loader mode, and this does not depend on drivers.
Just an update. I installed the Rockchip driver just to see if it would work and it sure did. So that's what was missing.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #1,901 of 13,478
Expensive but but looks like a better build quality. One issue with what I posted is there are no markings, so you might have to look at the connections on the internet use a method (for example, using a multimeter) to find out which cable should be connected to which pin.
the one (cable multi adpater) from Fiio seems budget friendly, but no where to be found.. it supposes launch together with M11...

Edit : It was not multi adapter... I was fail to understand by the wording...

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #1,902 of 13,478
Unfortunately you cannot use an adaptor for converting a 3.5mm single ended a balanced connection, as you need to separate the common pole of the single ended connection. If you trust in your skills and OK with modifying your original cable, you can either use something like I postet and be able to use your cable for nearly every scenario. Or maybe you can just buy the connector you want and solder that. Maybe you can find a service/shop that would do it for you.

He’s taking about terminating the SE cable to balanced, which answer is yes SUBJECT to wire configuration.

However as you mentioned, you cannot convert single ended connection to balance. You will fry the circuit.

May 3, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,903 of 13,478
He’s taking about terminating the SE cable to balanced, which answer is yes SUBJECT to wire configuration.

OK, my bad. I thought cable meaning "wire plus the connector".

the one (cable multi adpater) from Fiio seems budget friendly, but no where to be found.. it supposes launch together with M11...

That's right, there was something like that, but couldn't remember from where. There is also this one I saw:

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Balanced-Adapter/dp/B076PWSSSJ

May 3, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,904 of 13,478
May 3, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #1,905 of 13,478
Hey ! Just got my DX220, what a beautiful device.

A few questions about burn-in: ATM I can only stream low-res file from soundcloud, and at low volume. Does that affect the burn-in by any means ? Is the file quality related or is it all about the current going through the components ?

Is the low volume going to affect the time it would tike to burn-in on the long term if I only play at low volume ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back