DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Aug 17, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #7,516 of 13,478
Spent some time ABing my DX220 against the A&K SE100, as I had an opportunity to get it for the same price as the iBasso. Testing was done SE using Amp1mkii, with the Campfire Vega.

In the end I thought the DX220 had a slight edge over the SE100. Just seemed to have a bit better seperation and a more natural, neutral tonality, compared to what I perceived to be a slightly bright sound from the SE100.

The SE100 did win out in design and how it felt in the hand, definitely feels like a more premium device. But I actually preferred the screen quality of the DX220, the SE100 screen seemed a bit washed out in comparison.

Very happy knowing that I have no reason to 'upgrade', since even at the same price I still preferred the DX220. Just shows what amazing value it is :)

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #7,517 of 13,478
Quite a number of us here have A/B'd the DX220 with the TOTL DAP's on the market and found it to be fighting way above its price point. Add that to the fact that you can mod the DX220 and improve the sound quality and you have a crazy ROI. There is maybe one DAP that I've found to "outperform" the DX220...and it isn't made by AK...lol.

Aug 18, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #7,519 of 13,478
Quite a number of us here have A/B'd the DX220 with the TOTL DAP's on the market and found it to be fighting way above its price point. Add that to the fact that you can mod the DX220 and improve the sound quality and you have a crazy ROI. There is maybe one DAP that I've found to "outperform" the DX220...and it isn't made by AK...lol.

Well you can't just tease us like that... What was it?! Have you compared dx220 to the n6ii?

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #7,520 of 13,478
After auditioning of all TOTL Daps, I found one to beat 220 with amp8 and amp9 in sound quality and was seduced by seller with big discount) Now I’m waiting for dx220max.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #7,521 of 13,478
Well you can't just tease us like that... What was it?! Have you compared dx220 to the n6ii?
I have compared n6ii and 228, n6ii has tighter and punchier bass and thats all, in other aspects 228 is better imho.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #7,522 of 13,478
I have compared n6ii and 228, n6ii has tighter and punchier bass and thats all, in other aspects 228 is better imho.

How about 221? Solaris supposedly hisses a lot with 228?

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #7,523 of 13,478
Can someone please help? I'm on lurker fw. I installed neutron and the sound is very good. But whenever I try to play dsd, no sound out. And after that, the player also cannot play flac until restarted.
I tried Poweramp and uapp. The same occured to uapp. On Poweramp, the sound is very small.
I already set DOP and Follow Source Frequency on neutron. Thanks

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #7,524 of 13,478

Yes, I like the Nii but it's not as good as the DX220...especially now that I have one of the few DX220-EX's with the AMP8EX. The Nii doesn't come close.

The one I was speaking about is the Sony DMP-Z1. I recently auditioned it on Long Island and was blown away.

Yes, it's that good. Is it worth the money though...? That's debatable. It's not something you can carry with you on a trip, or back and forth to work, but to me, it might be the best sounding DAP I've ever heard.

However, at $9k after taxes...that's not even realistic. If you have that much money to burn on a quasi-portable unit...imagine how much you'd spend on the home audio?

Ahhh...dare to dream...lol

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #7,530 of 13,478
Yes, I like the Nii but it's not as good as the DX220...especially now that I have one of the few DX220-EX's with the AMP8EX. The Nii doesn't come close.

The one I was speaking about is the Sony DMP-Z1. I recently auditioned it on Long Island and was blown away.

Yes, it's that good. Is it worth the money though...? That's debatable. It's not something you can carry with you on a trip, or back and forth to work, but to me, it might be the best sounding DAP I've ever heard.

However, at $9k after taxes...that's not even realistic. If you have that much money to burn on a quasi-portable unit...imagine how much you'd spend on the home audio?

Ahhh...dare to dream...lol
Ah yes,that Sony. It’s £8000 here. And for me the nearest I would get is the pictures on the internet. It’s beautiful,it’s not portable. And,on your other point,much to my chagrin,I found that with first class active speakers you didn’t need separates if they were paired with a quality dap. Just an opinion but based on abandoning a 12000 pound system lovingly put together for daps linked to active speakers and preferring it. So...I could see someone doing this with the Sony. Fortunately,for me,the ibasso is fantastic,fully justifies its price point. That adds to my enjoyment as when I listen to it I know I managed to feed the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back