DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 11, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #6,211 of 13,478
Yes, HQplayerPro is great, but to really enjoy on the live conversion you will need a very beefy built that is dedicated to music. But there will be many things involved to make it sound good. The DX220 is totally capable of being used as external DAC - DSD512 from a good Build. Do I still prefer Xivero ? Yes, Offline conversion is better than on the fly ....however, you will be trading for a lot of memory.

I have just bought a DX220 and then an AMP8 from a fellow headfier. Currently using Neutron. I love tinkering with file processing and your post piqued my interest. I read a bit around DSD/PCM and started looking around for convertors.

I have a Mac so choice is a little more limited (freeware at least). My most common format is 16bit FLAC ripped from CD via XLD. I curated an 8 song playlist for conversion to .wav using vlc (a hassle as you have to name each file separately). TASCAM Hi-Res Editor only accepts PCM as .wav and will convert up to DSD256. I definitely noticed a larger soundstage, crisper and more detailed highs but also some digital distortion at the higher frequencies. THRE will only do 1 track at a time which is a pain but hey it's free.

I plan to rerip the CDs directly to .wav and then reconvert to DSD just in case the FLAC to wav conversion has introduced some noise.

Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome.

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #6,212 of 13,478
Jul 11, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #6,214 of 13,478
I have just bought a DX220 and then an AMP8 from a fellow headfier. Currently using Neutron. I love tinkering with file processing and your post piqued my interest. I read a bit around DSD/PCM and started looking around for convertors.

I have a Mac so choice is a little more limited (freeware at least). My most common format is 16bit FLAC ripped from CD via XLD. I curated an 8 song playlist for conversion to .wav using vlc (a hassle as you have to name each file separately). TASCAM Hi-Res Editor only accepts PCM as .wav and will convert up to DSD256. I definitely noticed a larger soundstage, crisper and more detailed highs but also some digital distortion at the higher frequencies. THRE will only do 1 track at a time which is a pain but hey it's free.

I plan to rerip the CDs directly to .wav and then reconvert to DSD just in case the FLAC to wav conversion has introduced some noise.

Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome.

The algorithms is the heart of any digital music. I never liked Tascam program, I always recommend Xivero for an affordable conversion. If you want more , you can opt for AUI converter, but to me, the only 2 that has real differences is Xivero, and step up would be HQplayerPro

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #6,215 of 13,478
I presumed other will dont mind, since still come from the same brand.

Verizon means is Snapdragon right ? Wish u get hand of the Enyxos version, because the DAC used (CIRRUS, CMIIW) in it is better then the Snapdragon... but this DC01 is an option...

Anyway... Great review as always

Yes, my S9 has Snapdragon 845.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #6,216 of 13,478
Would be great for amp9, to get a clear view of NuTube eyes, but tpu with extra dx220 heat could mean some premature discoloring of a clear case.

I'm also waiting for MITER to send me their final dx220 case for testing.

Pictures show it is a rim, no back. So heat might not be an issue ?

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #6,218 of 13,478
Pictures show it is a rim, no back. So heat might not be an issue ?

Totally missed that looking on my phone; now can see it better on laptop :wink: Indeed, it's just to enhance the grip with a rim around the DAP. I like it!

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #6,219 of 13,478
I am getting a fair amount of microphonics and I'm wondering if its normal
I think all the cases you've described are normal. At least I experience mostly the same, and also...
Simply listening, with the case on, and the player in my pocket and there's no problem.
... as well. Moreover, I don't use case, and I often listen outdoor, in transport etc, and experience no problems as long as the player sits in my chest pocket.
Or should I be expecting more from the damping?
Nutube is directly-heated with very long heater, which is like a string, and it sounds like a string. So, it is by design and can't be totally eliminated.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #6,221 of 13,478
Anyone knows if its possible pair the DX220 with a phone and manage it on some way? This could be a perfect feature to add on a future firmware because for example I always start my playback and then I put on a bag which is a little bit hard start to pull out and then put inside again and so on, so if you pair at the beginning with your phone and then you always interact with the phone instead of the dap, this would be marvellous :) @Paul - iBasso

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #6,222 of 13,478
The algorithms is the heart of any digital music. I never liked Tascam program, I always recommend Xivero for an affordable conversion. If you want more , you can opt for AUI converter, but to me, the only 2 that has real differences is Xivero, and step up would be HQplayerPro

Thank you. Can Xivero rip straight from CD or do you have to present it with ripped FLAC or .wav files? Do you think FLAC or .wav would offer less noise/artefact?

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #6,223 of 13,478
Picture of dc02

2452_xuanvu_audio_ibasso_dc02.jpg

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #6,224 of 13,478
Nice find! Only problem is I rather have the back cover for more protection..i'm trying to order one and I'm having problems with understanding the language to be able to checkout. Google translate not really working.

I have managed to add it in the cart and make an account. But I can not figure out how to add my address! Lol. Help!

Edit: I was able to place my order. FYI There are YouTube vids to help you order.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back