DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #8,926 of 13,478
iBasso didn't call the Mango OS Pure DAP for nothing.
Agree, there's some work to be done in the ui, but nothing much...

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #8,927 of 13,478
iBasso didn't call the Mango OS Pure DAP for nothing.
Agree, there's some work to be done in the ui, but nothing much...

I’m finding the Mango app to be a little laggy and the Android version isn’t. The Android version is smooth like butter. You would think the App would be the better performer since it’s suppose to be dedicated without any interference from the Android OS. What freaking gives?

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #8,928 of 13,478
That listing also says to 3.5mm 4pole connector

I don't want to confuse the OP but here's a thought/question for those with Amp8 insight (@Whitigir @edwardsean @chaiyuta )

Come to think of it, 4.4mm connector does allow the 5th GND connection (shown below) unlike 2.5mm that is 4 pole only. So technically, you can wire L+, R+, and GND to 3.5mm stereo plug assuming GND is properly connected to common ground of the amp and L- and R- can be left floating for the amp.

Is the Amp8's 5th pole connected to common ground? I don't think this is a universal requirement.

9321871_thumb[1].jpg
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9321871_thumb.jpg

I always looked at this GND to allow sleeve/shield for the cable itself. Just talking out of curiosity here :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #8,931 of 13,478
That listing also says to 3.5mm 4pole connector

Thanks I didn't even notice that part. So it is for the 3.5mm Balanced and not SE. Using that with a pair of SE headphones would of only caused issues.

I seriously don't know why they made a 3.5mm balanced possible, All it does it lead to confusion.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #8,932 of 13,478
Always the option to buy one of the balanced cables to 4.4mm or 2.5mm for your iem earphones
and get the Amp8ex
and then an adapter if needed (if you buy 2.5mm).

decent cables can be quite affordable these days

@highfell

Hmm - now you have opened up a can of worms for me ........ :)
I do have a balanced cable for my Sennheiser 600s, but it has one of the old Ibasso hirose connectors. I am not sure I would prioritise my Shure SE846s even though they are my most expensive headphone compared to my overear ones when looking to match the AMPex 8, but maybe I should

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #8,933 of 13,478
Hmm - now you have opened up a can of worms for me ........ :)
I do have a balanced cable for my Sennheiser 600s, but it has one of the old Ibasso hirose connectors. I am not sure I would prioritise my Shure SE846s even though they are my most expensive headphone compared to my overear ones when looking to match the AMPex 8, but maybe I should

That’s just reminded me, I bought a Brainwavz CandyCane 2.5 balanced cable for my 846s. Anyone recommend a 4.5 male to 2.5 female adapter available in UK through Amp3 or Amazon?

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #8,934 of 13,478
I’m finding the Mango app to be a little laggy and the Android version isn’t. The Android version is smooth like butter. You would think the App would be the better performer since it’s suppose to be dedicated without any interference from the Android OS. What freaking gives?

...like i said still some more work to be done. i cannot & will not compare ultra fast android against another platform such as the Mango os. For normal browse, i.e. My music - now playing, all music, directory, etc. for my playback req't is acceptable. There are some things that i'd like to see, but i'm holding off for now.
They're working on it that's for sure, while i'm enjoying the music...

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #8,935 of 13,478
@Ojisan Perhaps I know just a clue. I ever heard that some modders make a ground circuit to DAP chassis on 5th GND pole of 4.4 mm jack, or the 5th GND pole might be utilized on a certain SONY DAP (not 100% sure). Currently there is no 4.4 mm DAPs (apart from SONY?) utilizes the 5th GND pole. The good for 5th GND pole might be DAP device -> Portable AMP device via 4.4mm connection cause it make mutual ground or something. For direct push to earphone/headphone the 5th GND pole is nothing improve SQ if my assumption is correct.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #8,937 of 13,478
+1 - it's a solid performer. I don't know what the cable itself is made of - maybe SPC?

I have also ordered the penon adapter which is hybrid copper/SPC.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #8,938 of 13,478
+1 - it's a solid performer. I don't know what the cable itself is made of - maybe SPC?

I have also ordered the penon adapter which is hybrid copper/SPC.

Off topic but is your username a nod to Brigsby Bear? :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #8,939 of 13,478
I've never seen that film but it looks interesting.

It's a character from Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #8,940 of 13,478
@Ojisan Perhaps I know just a clue. I ever heard that some modders make a ground circuit to DAP chassis on 5th GND pole of 4.4 mm jack, or the 5th GND pole might be utilized on a certain SONY DAP (not 100% sure). Currently there is no 4.4 mm DAPs (apart from SONY?) utilizes the 5th GND pole. The good for 5th GND pole might be DAP device -> Portable AMP device via 4.4mm connection cause it make mutual ground or something. For direct push to earphone/headphone the 5th GND pole is nothing improve SQ if my assumption is correct.

@chaiyuta thanks for your insights! It doesn't surprise me that Sony might be the only one doing something special. Sharing common ground doesn't seem like an approach anyone would take based on normal audio device design principles. I thought that there might be an advantage for some of the full sized headphone cables with shielding to use the 5th pole as the RF/EMI shield. Anyways, it's a non-issue for me and we can put this to rest that Amp8 doesn't have the 5th pole connected.

My (normal) Amp8 arrived today so it's time for me to burn this is, enjoy it for a while, compare with Amp1Mk2 and Amp9, then doing the EX mod myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back