DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 15, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #2,881 of 13,478
As an example, iBasso said they tested different DACs, yet decided to keep the same one as in their 2 year old model because to their ears it still sound great; it's their preference.
They did? What was the DAC in question?

May 15, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #2,882 of 13,478
Ok, but what if like say you got the mod done and you didn't like the sound like the person who originally modded the amp? It's entirely possible. Not saying it doesn't sound different, but until I or you actually hear it, we don't know.

Or maybe my hearing isn't adequate to pick up the differences because they are more minor than first thought. Now if we have a large consensus of people raving about the mod, well then we might have something and could assume they're were definite changes of some kind.

No offence to the modder, he's happy and notices a difference- that's all that matters.

@Whitigir 's mods should've been around for a good period of time. Is there a consensus on them? I suppose for the caps we'd have to wait for more impressions if others decide to follow suit, if they do at all.

@rutter do you think manufacturers just pick whatever they find on the shelf and "glue" it together? They go through tedious R&D process to pick'n'choose component to make their product sound to their liking.

This rutter ^

I think you're too trusting. None of us know what happens and for what reason every decision is made.

Yeah, pretty much in line with the reasons I had in mind. To stay true to the ibasso house sound.

That's not what he said. What he said is that they made certain decisions to be more accommodating, not to sound best with the "predominate IEMs or headphones being used".

Something may sound different or more to your liking with a different capacitor or op amp because of the predominate IEMs or headphones being used but we need to make AMPs that sound and work well with many different drivers.

May 15, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #2,883 of 13,478
Does anyone have any SP1000 (M) and DX220 comparisons?
I compared my DX208 with these DAPs, and I decided not to buy both SP1000 and M (with relieve). Basically no difference with SP1000M and very little difference with SP1000. Not worth the 3x price difference. I performed the comparisons with CA Andromeda. But, of course, if I had a lot of money I'd by the SP1000.

By the, way has anyone compared DX208 vs DX228? Opinions? Thanks!

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #2,884 of 13,478
@Whitigir 's mods should've been around for a good period of time. Is there a consensus on them? I suppose for the caps we'd have to wait for more impressions if others decide to follow suit, if they do at all.

I think you're too trusting. None of us know what happens and for what reason every decision is made.

That's not what he said. What he said is that they made certain decisions to be more accommodating, not to sound best with the "predominate IEMs or headphones being used".

Honestly once I get mine I'll probably try those Panasonic caps, and see what happens. That is after I check off some other must do stuff. I'm curious now.

May 15, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #2,886 of 13,478
@rutter Just think that what @Whitigir is an alternative that he mod to get the better way based on his path and experience, its not wrong, its option.

I believe some big manufacturers have some principle that goes like never fixed something that aint broken.

btw, I haven't read ur impression for stock AMp1Mk2 with Amp8. or I miss it

May 15, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #2,887 of 13,478
I thought someone did compare that WM1A would not be the same league as even DX200/amp8.

That someone is most likely Whitigir. Frankly, at this point I'm not even sure he has been comparing with the stock stuff. He's the same person who said the DX200/amp1 sounded like "garbage". His exclusive DX200ti with his modded amp8 is where it's at. If he has a fresh comparative impression of the stuff we have I'll read it, too lazy to look for it. But he does believe the DX220 with stock amp8, I'm sort of assuming, is better sounding than the WM1A. At this point I'm reluctant to take him too seriously on the not even in the same league stuff. Jmills8 is someone else you might be thinking of, insofar as he just posted a comment regarding Sony daps within the last three pages. His style is to make emphatic pronouncements in almost sentence fragment form with zero detail like he's the Audio Pope. The most elaborate and specific thing I've encountered him saying is that Sony daps are "underpowered", which in fairness I'm inclined to agree with.

btw, I haven't read ur impression for stock AMp1Mk2 with Amp8. or I miss it

With zero burn-in I think amp1mk2 is seriously behind amp8 spatially. However, I thought single-ended it may have been clearer than amp8. Initially I also thought it did a better job with mids and highs with my IER-Z1R, which needed them, but I'm not sure this impression has lasted. Recently I got a $20 4.4 to 2.5 adapter to try the balanced output. Burn in of around 20 hours, was left with no notable positive impression, went back to amp8. Frankly aside from space it sounded kind of like amp8, if my brain isn't too addled. I don't have amp1mk2 burned in to give a good impression and don't feel inclined to start unscrewing and screwing stuff and trying to pick something out again. I was mostly looking for whether amp1mk2 did something notably different from amp8 in a good way, and after 20 hours balanced I decided to just go back to amp8. I think amp8 can do a better job with clarity and I recall more precise imaging with the ZX300, that for some reason struck me as kind of exquisite, sort of delicate in its precision, and enjoyable. But the DX228 is definitely bigger, more expressive, and more tonally correct than the ZX300 with my iem so it's not like I'm pining for the ZX300. But now I am curious about the WM1A. Might even consider switching if I was given good reason.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #2,888 of 13,478
I thought someone did compare that WM1A would not be the same league as even DX200/amp8.
What? I just A/B tested over 10 TOTL daps including DX208.
Outside of DMP-Z1, the next one that won out on pure SQ was the WM1A followed by SP1000cu. Followed by WM1Z.
All tested with the RHA CL2.

May 15, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #2,890 of 13,478
I liked the DX200 stock better than any of the Sony daps. They sounded congested to me.
Must be your iems. Sony has one of the most open soundstages and excellent instrument separation.
Above all, the timbre of instruments is spot on. Sony gets the true to life tonality like no one else.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #2,891 of 13,478
Outside of DMP-Z1, the next one that won out on pure SQ was the WM1A followed by SP1000cu. Followed by WM1Z.
Everyone is different and also what you listen with. Had the 1A and have the 1Z and prefer the 1Z. The DX220, IMO is better than the 1Z and I have also compared it to the very good SP1000 and prefer the 220. My preference comes from listening to live music and using it as a barometer.

May 15, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,892 of 13,478
Must be your iems. Sony has one of the most open soundstages and top of the class instrument separation.
Above all the timbre of instruments is spot on. Sony gets the true to life tonality like no one else.
Everyone is different and also what you listen with. Had the 1A and have the 1Z and prefer the 1Z. The DX220, IMO is better than the 1Z and I have also compared it to the very good SP1000 and prefer the 220. My preference comes from listening to live music and using it as a barometer.
Subjectivity sucks huh :joy:

May 15, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,893 of 13,478
A lot goes into it, including synergy with iems. I thought the DX208 was boring and lifeless, kind of flat.
Did not do my CL2 any favors. Might be a different story with other headphones.

May 15, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #2,894 of 13,478

And this is where impressions get interesting. Kitechaser is just as big [of a fanboy] on the WM1A as Whitigir is on the iBasso stuff (generally speaking). Jmills8 is more of an enigma. He's like a self-aware strong independent flying Japanese sword. He wafts gracefully through the omnipresent breeze swiftly sundering falling apples, not only cutting to the heart of the matter but showing you its entire profile in one fell swoop. At least that's the impression I get.

The DX220, IMO is better than the 1Z and I have also compared it to the very good SP1000 and prefer the 220.

With what amp?

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #2,895 of 13,478
And this is where impressions get interesting. Kitechaser is just as big [of a fanboy] on the WM1A as Whitigir is on the iBasso stuff (generally speaking). Jmills8 is more of an enigma. He's like a self-aware strong independent flying Japanese sword. He wafts gracefully through the omnipresent breeze swiftly sundering falling apples, not only cutting to the heart of the matter but showing you its entire profile in one fell swoop. At least that's the impression I get.
Thats not very nice :/

Thought I have to admit the back part was hilarious :joy:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back