DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #14,463 of 22,021
I'm on the iBasso site now. It indicates that there is a 14 day money back policy. Does anyone know if installing Lurker's firmware will void the possibility of return?
I doubt that you will get it voided, because it is an opened platform and Ibasso meant to do so. For how much Ibasso love and care about us and our hobby, I seriously doubt that they would pull such cheap “trick”

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #14,464 of 22,021
I'm on the iBasso site now. It indicates that there is a 14 day money back policy. Does anyone know if installing Lurker's firmware will void the possibility of return?
what if it takes 7 days to shipto you and another 7 days to ship back?:)

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #14,466 of 22,021
I picked up an AMP4 today (fully run-in) and compare briefly to my AMP 8 which had burn-in for 24 hrs with pink/white noise. I can understand why people like the AMP4 so much. To me, it sounds more musical and more coherent. The AMP8 on the other hand is more precise more clinical, the bass is more deeper than when I listened to it without burn-in. I guess if you don't need the power AMP4/AMP4s would be a good choice for most people. I listened mostly with SACD converted dsf files and POP/Jazz music.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #14,468 of 22,021
Amp4s still for sale:smile:

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #14,472 of 22,021
Jul 6, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #14,473 of 22,021
Jul 6, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #14,474 of 22,021
I picked up an AMP4 today (fully run-in) and compare briefly to my AMP 8 which had burn-in for 24 hrs with pink/white noise. I can understand why people like the AMP4 so much. To me, it sounds more musical and more coherent. The AMP8 on the other hand is more precise more clinical, the bass is more deeper than when I listened to it without burn-in. I guess if you don't need the power AMP4/AMP4s would be a good choice for most people. I listened mostly with SACD converted dsf files and POP/Jazz music.

I don't think AMP8 is anywhere near burnt-in at 24h, if you've had ZX2, WM1A or Z you know those capacitors need quite some burn-in time and changes are going to be significant along the way...

Anyway, AMP4 has been my favorite since it was out, followed closely by AMP5 which is warmer but also very dynamic. To me AMP4 is musical with a neutral, lean and clean take. Yes, it's very coherent. But even not burnt in I would not describe AMP8 as clinical although it's true it has more precise imaging other than that I would describe it in terms of tuning as somewhere in between AMP4 and AMP5 (and probably not too far from AMP4S from what I have read). That means musical and organic despite being a great technical performer but I am listening with the Phantom and VE8...

I wonder which IEM or headphone you're running AMP8 with?

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #14,475 of 22,021
I think I'm starting to get a feel for how AMP8 sounds. It's bass is easily the best out of all the previous AMP modules. It's a better take on AMP3's sub-bass dominant sound. With the Hyla CE-5, the rumble is not only cleaner, but even more authoritative. The Oriolus is where it gets interesting though! With AMP4 and the Ares II+, I sometimes felt the upper bass and lower mids were a little too thick. With AMP8, the bass is MUCH tighter and more suitable for faster metal (listening to Meshuggah right now). I actually think these have better synergy over the Hyla's now.

The treble seems smoother and more detailed due to a slightly recessed lower treble and forward upper treble. Both the Z1R and CE-5 have an emphasis on this range, so the AMP actually emphasizes that sparkle more (can be good or bad). It's now perfect on the Oriolus though!

Mids are hard to describe. I think there's a slight upper mid emphasis due to some songs having more presence/sibilance compared to AMP4, but the lower mids are still very present. It might be due to the tighter upper bass. The mids are leaner and tighter on the Oriolus for sure. Great detail!

So, the synergy with the Oriolus is amazing. Hyla needs more listening before I decide how I feel about it. Same for the Z1R when I get home. I might still be interested in hearing the AMP4S for the Hyla if it's smoother than AMP8. Lower mids are the Hyla's biggest weakness. (Or maybe I should buy AMP7 if it's an improved AMP5)

Edit: Nah, I don't really need AMP4S. Think I'll finally stop trying to turn the Hyla into an Oriolus. The Oriolus are now absolutely golden with AMP8. The Hyla make a perfect complement for other music anyway. I no longer feel the need to upgrade my IEM cables either lol (except my Ares that's still in 2.5mm).

I also wonder how much of this will change after burn in.

it's from Valentinum, you can order and or contact him through Etsy.
if you don't see anything you like, contact him, he can build a case based on your input.

Right now there is this one for sale:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/626364447/ibasso-dx20o-leather-case-cases-for?ref=shop_home_active_1

Is that... Pink stitching? Looks like I made the wrong decision when it came to grey stitching lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back