DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 29, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #9,136 of 22,021
I'm still slowly burning in my AMP3 so I can't give a definitive answer here yet (well, as 'definitive' as any purely subjective answer can be lol).
For me so far, I can simply say that it sounds excellent.
I would add that it also sounds a bit *different*.
The sound is somewhat more organic, warm and musical than AMP1 to my ears.
Normally, I don't like warm sound signatures so much, preferring a more neutral, reference, transparent tone.
But the AMP3 shows that these need not be mutually exclusive and sounds terrific to me regardless.

I'd also add that the AMP1 that comes as standard with the DX200 is certainly not a bad choice or a poor cousin.
You've got the choice of both balanced and single-ended outputs, and can even use both at the same time (great for sharing with friends and family!).
With AMP1, I feel there's a step up in quality with the balanced output, compared with the single-ended (but I also was using upgraded cables on balanced only, which could have affected my judgement).
But then you've got AMP2 and the forthcoming AMP5 if single-ended is your game :wink:

I could tentatively say that the general consensus seems to be that AMP3 is the best (so far), but I would say that all of the amps so far have great things to offer both in terms of functionality and also in terms of subtle differences in their sound signatures.
So, as with most things in this audio hobby, whilst there's a lot to be gained from reading the reviews of others, your own subjective preferences will influence which AMP is actually the best one for you :)
If you can find anyone in your area (dealer, Head-Fi member, CanJam etc) that has other AMP modules that you can try, that would be the best way I imagine :)

I also feel that Amp1 is an excellent performer, and personally, prefer it to Amp3 (balanced vs balanced of course). I gave both amps a complete burn in over 200 hours, and for me Amp1 had a magic that Amp3 just didn't reproduce. I think it could come down to my CIEMs. I use AAW W500s which are some of the most bass-heavy reference ciems around. They are best described by an L shaped signature, so the immense clarity and layering the DX200 Amp1 can produce seems a perfect match. The bass is punchy and DEEP while the mids sound oh so real and the highs get a tiny boost that I felt was missing with other gear, including the Chord Mojo I previously had. Nothing bad to say about the Amp3, but it all comes down to synergy for me.

And honorary mention goes to the Null Audio Brevity S balanced cable I've settled on. I have no connection to Null Audio, but I've bought pretty much their entire range of cables, from the 8-braid Vitesse Cryo 7N copper that came with my W500s to the Lune V3, Arete V2 and original Brevity along with a couple of stock 2-pin cables from 64 audio and JH audio, all single ended. Among all those cables, there were subtle differences but the original brevity (by far the least expensive) stood out for bringing a true sense of depth to the sound. Every other cable sounded like the vocals were right on top of the drummer, instead of the drummer being set further behind. While I loved the sound and price of the original brevity (it was only like $35 USD!!!) the ergonomics made me hate it. The cable was rubbery and sticky, so it got caught on everything, and being so incredibly thin, it was springy and seemed to have a mind of its own. Null has since fixed all that with the S model. Now it comes with a nice feeling Y split made of metal, low profile balanced connector if you want to go balanced, and a multi-filament sheath on the lower half of the cable which I love. It's still unbelievably thin, but it behaves so much better, and most importantly, retains the magic sound of the original.

So back to my original point, I'm happy everyone is loving the Amp3, but don't dismiss the Amp1 until you've given it a chance. Against all odds I found that for my personal setup and tastes, Amp1 is the one that I can't stop listening to. For others, perhaps especially those using full sized cans with brighter signatures, Amp3 is likely the perfect choice for them.

Happy listening!

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #9,139 of 22,021
I also feel that Amp1 is an excellent performer, and personally, prefer it to Amp3 (balanced vs balanced of course). I gave both amps a complete burn in over 200 hours, and for me Amp1 had a magic that Amp3 just didn't reproduce. I think it could come down to my CIEMs. I use AAW W500s which are some of the most bass-heavy reference ciems around. They are best described by an L shaped signature, so the immense clarity and layering the DX200 Amp1 can produce seems a perfect match. The bass is punchy and DEEP while the mids sound oh so real and the highs get a tiny boost that I felt was missing with other gear, including the Chord Mojo I previously had. Nothing bad to say about the Amp3, but it all comes down to synergy for me.

And honorary mention goes to the Null Audio Brevity S balanced cable I've settled on. I have no connection to Null Audio, but I've bought pretty much their entire range of cables, from the 8-braid Vitesse Cryo 7N copper that came with my W500s to the Lune V3, Arete V2 and original Brevity along with a couple of stock 2-pin cables from 64 audio and JH audio, all single ended. Among all those cables, there were subtle differences but the original brevity (by far the least expensive) stood out for bringing a true sense of depth to the sound. Every other cable sounded like the vocals were right on top of the drummer, instead of the drummer being set further behind. While I loved the sound and price of the original brevity (it was only like $35 USD!!!) the ergonomics made me hate it. The cable was rubbery and sticky, so it got caught on everything, and being so incredibly thin, it was springy and seemed to have a mind of its own. Null has since fixed all that with the S model. Now it comes with a nice feeling Y split made of metal, low profile balanced connector if you want to go balanced, and a multi-filament sheath on the lower half of the cable which I love. It's still unbelievably thin, but it behaves so much better, and most importantly, retains the magic sound of the original.

So back to my original point, I'm happy everyone is loving the Amp3, but don't dismiss the Amp1 until you've given it a chance. Against all odds I found that for my personal setup and tastes, Amp1 is the one that I can't stop listening to. For others, perhaps especially those using full sized cans with brighter signatures, Amp3 is likely the perfect choice for them.

Happy listening!

If you like AMP1 SE you will really love AMP2 SE only, a little deeper bass and extended highs

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #9,140 of 22,021
So, for the ultimate conclusion and part finale of Dx200+Amp3 Vs WM1Z. Your take :D. Here is how I see them

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-993#post-13753229
I would say that for me, the 2 players are like different venues. The WM1Z in a slightly less reverberant space, with a little less transparency but a warmer feel to the sound. On timbre I think they both do extremely well as it is easy for me to tell the different types of string instruments etc., i.e., the qualities of different violins. For me the DX200 creates a little clearer view into each instrument and depending upon mood and recording, the WM1Z or the DX200 will get me closer to the performance. This is in balanced using either good IEM's or my normal at home headphones, the Utopia balanced with Whiplash Twau V2 8 braid. Excellent summary you have done!

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #9,141 of 22,021
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #9,142 of 22,021

Happy listening!
reaaly thanks. you have cleared my doubts. i have a focal elear that is more oriented to low frequencies. so my doubt if amp3 was best solution

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #9,143 of 22,021
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #9,144 of 22,021
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #9,145 of 22,021
20170930_213423.jpg
Challenge Aune x7s and Amp3 :)

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #9,146 of 22,021
Really curious

Several people have mentioned already that new firmware is coming up. When will this happen?

I am not complaining, really happy with my DX200 and AMP3, but a few last things can be improved,
(for me the biggest wish is better resposiveness of the interface in pure Mango mode)

Also curious what will happen with the sound signature. So far it has mostly improved with updates, (Same thing counted with the DX90 updates)

@Paul: when is new firmware to be expected? (give or take a few days?)

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #9,147 of 22,021
Guys, I see B&H Photo have these at $919. I'm ready to buy, but are there other places that people are getting them from (for a better deal) and is that place an official distributor? Read: warranty is honored by Ibasso. Also is the 2-year/3-year squaretrade worth if for $138 and $189 respectively?

I'm presuming that the DX200 is a substantial upgrade from the DX80 given price and of course understanding diminishing returns?

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #9,148 of 22,021
Guys, I see B&H Photo have these at $919. I'm ready to buy, but are there other places that people are getting them from (for a better deal) and is that place an official distributor? Read: warranty is honored by Ibasso. Also is the 2-year/3-year squaretrade worth if for $138 and $189 respectively?

I'm presuming that the DX200 is a substantial upgrade from the DX80 given price and of course understanding diminishing returns?

B&H is an authorized dealer. You can find the others at the iBasso website. Amazon is another. When I was searching, $919 was the lowest price I could find. iBasso itself sells the unit for $869, but then shipping kicks it up to $919 or more and B&H and Amazon don't charge for shipping.

I can't speak to the warranty as that is more of a personal choice.

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #9,149 of 22,021
I ordered thru iBasso and picked whatever the cheapest shipping was to Canada. It still arrived within like 4-5 days if I recall. Same when I ordered the Amp3 a few months later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back