DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 19, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #8,822 of 22,021
My Chinese isn't good enough to know what they're all saying. Hopefully the reaction was as positive as mine.
But this user seemed to have a comically violent reaction :D

Use google chrome as browser. It comes with auto google translator.

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #8,824 of 22,021
Fairly simple query: does the DX200 allow/give digital out via usb? ie can I use it as a source through usb? Thanks...

It can, if you install Lurker firmware and USB audio player pro. However, it isn't the best at it, you can use Spdif/Coax out and that is one of the very best feature about it :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #8,827 of 22,021
Can firmware updates and app downloads be done via wifi without the need to connect to a PC?
Yes but ...
In fact, you can download from wifi.

For application, if you sideload application executable through wifi, no problem to install from DX200 explorer. See explanations in first post.

For update, the problem is that the update file is inside a zipped folder. Some explorer do manage zip files but not the default manager in DX200. And I would add that it is not really as practical than on a computer.
I remember that once a member of the forum had uploaded the OTA file once unzipped on the internet. I downloaded it from DX200 through wifi, moved it from download folder to root folder and launched the update without using a computer (obviously someone had done it for me, though).

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #8,828 of 22,021
Oh its alot more simpler than i was anticipating.

I also noticed a positive improvement after letting it burn in for a while, using iBasso's cable.

Now that is my to-go cable for burning in things, a big Thank You to ibasso for including it in the package!!

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,829 of 22,021
Sep 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #8,830 of 22,021
I also noticed a positive improvement after letting it burn in for a while, using iBasso's cable.

Now that is my to-go cable for burning in things, a big Thank You to ibasso for including it in the package!!

I may sound strange, but I rather burn-in using the old and classic way to connect dx200 with a Headphones. Headphones impedance changes upon respond curves, just like ripples on the water surface which changes depend on the energies applied. In this case, the impedance of Headphones will change upon the demand of the Headphones itself and the respond curves of the amp module and every components inside. To burn in under this method, each components will burn-in properly as the flows of electron and the leakage are harmoniously changed and burned in.

That is just me....lol

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #8,831 of 22,021
I may sound strange, but I rather burn-in using the old and classic way to connect dx200 with a Headphones. Headphones impedance changes upon respond curves, just like ripples on the water surface which changes depend on the energies applied. In this case, the impedance of Headphones will change upon the demand of the Headphones itself and the respond curves of the amp module and every components inside. To burn in under this method, each components will burn-in properly as the flows of electron and the leakage are harmoniously changed and burned in.

That is just me....lol

I use your method in the daytime.. the cable, like a vampire, only comes out at night (at least back when I still had one). And unlike a vampire, it doesn't suck :p

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #8,833 of 22,021

That is just me....lol
+1 ditto

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,834 of 22,021
Part 4: how does Dx200 out of line-out and amp out compare to a real Desktop DAC that utilizes Dx200 own SPDIF/Coax as a source ?
IMG_1899.JPG

I conducted a test feeding Dx200 straight into my KG GG Stax amplifier and SR009, and before you are in, all the cables are of "high-quality" such as Silver wires, good connector that is not magnetic and shielding....etc...whatever the heck....even powercord.

The differences are very very pronounced, and if you read my Part 3 where dx200 Coax out did out perform my WM1Z USB Out ? My personal preferences....then you already know how capable the Dx200 Coax out is to be ? A sweet reminder is that it is simply Plug and play with Mango, Native DSD out, and allow charging together with USB C

So, how does Dx200 compare within itself ?

First: we are comparing a full blown out desktop DAC to a portable smaller device that is 20x times less in form factor....and using inferior ES9028Pro instead of ES9038Pro (dual configurations on both units)

Sound signature: amp out, the DX200 has that emphasized sub bass in Mango mode without turning on EQ, and again...I have to, and always prefer to turn on this functions, the sound will be smaller to allow EQ adjustment, but then Sub bass is no longer emphasized. Obvious thing is that the amp out has a pretty noisy floor noises, but it still offer that huge and expansiveness, details and separations are there, but the noisy back ground is higher than WM1Z. So the immersiveness and engaging are not there....suddenly it became very...boring

In comparison to the Coax out to Desktop DAC, the noise floor is like "extinct!" A total blacker than black back ground that everything is so fine, the needling details will surface, which is much more satisfying than Wm1z in USB mode.

Soundstage is much wider with Coax out, and more holographical, more lively

Bass is more controlled with much better depth layering and dynamic resolution, punches, energies are all well defined. There are no emphasizes anywhere but pure Dynamic in bass slams and punches. Compare to Phone out, there are emphasizes into sub bass and lower bass region while mid body is not as dynamic.

Vocal is very very vivid, smooth, detailed, lively, full of emotions. In comparison, the vocal was boring, more upfront and not lively in Amp3 Phones out

Treble is very fine, very vivid with high resolution, needling details, yes, the first time I observe this kind of trebles that is so authentic and gives me goose bumps. It extends nicely, authentic timbres, sharp but not harsh, not grainy, 0 sibilants, it is just pure satisfaction. An example of a real cymbal splash, and it carries a very sharp metallic details with nice extends and thick, vivid body but no sibilant, this is it, the Coax out into Desktop DAC. In comparison to amp out , the trebles is grainy, the body timbres is a little soft and not as well defined, sharp but not well defined and potentially harsh with sibilants (not horrible, but in comparison ....it is there)

Now, the bad is only when connecting phones out into external amplifier.

The goods !!!

Line Out !!! It is all about Line Out !!! In comparison to my Desktop DAC ? I can tell you all that the only 2 things it is lacking is that sweetness into Trebles details and sharp resolutions as it may tends to be a tad bright and harsh (not overwhelming but for comparing to Desktop DAC), then the Dynamic slams and punches within the tonal timbres are not as satisfying in comparison. However, if you ask me personally ? I would be fair and say this. Dx200 and Amp3 Line Out dropped my jaws on the floor and broke it...that I couldn't even get it back together. It offers an unbelievable performances for form factor - price - performances . Could it replace desktop DAC ? Judging from what it measures up to my desktop DAC ? Yeah, it very well be, unless you want heavy weights champs and then add in all those good quality Ic cables and power cord :)

Black back ground, holographic staging, expansive and immersive, great treble ! It is the phones out into your headphones quality :D

IMG_1900.JPG

Conclusion:

Coax/Spdif for digital transport, DX200 is a winner over WM1Z

Phone out into amplifier, Wm1z is a winner, it was able to carries the high quality output from headphones into the amplifier, while Dx200 acted strange and seems be a bit far behind in this connection. Somehow Sony successfully integrated Lineout together with headphones out...idk..probably the double amping are in places here and created negative affect

Line Out is a better performer and superior as the noise floor is lower, which has a very good sound signature from the Amp3 + Headphones connection with it. My recommendation for anyone that want to use the Dx200 and Amp3 as their DAC/Preamp into their system is to use "Line Out" it is totally superior to Phones out into external amplifier. It carries on the typical Amp3 to your Headphones signatures ! The best is that Line Out is volume controls variable **

Headphones straight connection, Dx200 and Amp 3 will ties with WM1Z, and upon personal preferences to choose one from another: 1z is romantic and mellow, dx200/Amp3 is expansive, immersive and energetic.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #8,835 of 22,021
Many thanks for the replies, my issue is I only have a Macbook and no PC, so I can download firmware, unzip it and put it on SD card to update firmware but can I add apps such as Spotify? directly on the DX200 via wifi?
Thanks again.

Yes but ...
In fact, you can download from wifi.

For application, if you sideload application executable through wifi, no problem to install from DX200 explorer. See explanations in first post.

For update, the problem is that the update file is inside a zipped folder. Some explorer do manage zip files but not the default manager in DX200. And I would add that it is not really as practical than on a computer.
I remember that once a member of the forum had uploaded the OTA file once unzipped on the internet. I downloaded it from DX200 through wifi, moved it from download folder to root folder and launched the update without using a computer (obviously someone had done it for me, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back