DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #8,836 of 22,021
Many thanks for the replies, my issue is I only have a Macbook and no PC, so I can download firmware, unzip it and put it on SD card to update firmware but can I add apps such as Spotify? directly on the DX200 via wifi?
Thanks again.
yes. like i wrote in my post, you have a browser in android mode. with wifi on, search on the browser one site with apk apllications. find spotify for example and install in the android.
for example: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/spotify-ltd/

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #8,839 of 22,021
For those who enjoys Neutron Music unique ability to play up to 24/192kHz bit perfect: with firmware 2.5.141L1 Neutron can play DSD in DoP (i.e. natively, without conversion to PCM) up to DSD256, and PCM up to 32/384! I'm sure not so many people need it, but those who need now have it :) No additional efforts are required: just select an appropriate track in Neutron and listen to it. Be sure you have turned Generic Driver on and Direct USB Driver off in its Audio Hardware settings.

Note: this firmware automatically switches XMOS chip modes for different audio formats. It may require some time, up to a couple of seconds, and sometimes may confuse Android... Most of the time it works flawlessly. In rare conditions, Neutron switches to pause immediately after mode switch, and additional push of play/pause button is required.

But, I believe, it is better to listen favorite music now than to wait for Neutron official support for DSD on DX200 :wink: even if it would come next day...

For those who is sick and tired having to turn DX200's display on to resume playback after a small pause in any player on DX200: try to launch the new USB Audio and leave it at the background! That is, nothing more, and it will start monitoring music playback in any application, preventing Android to enter deep sleep for some additional minutes, that you can control in USB Audio settings.

Lurker0, first of all, thank you for all the effort you've put in to these custom firmware builds and the USB Audio app. You're really expanding the functionality and usability of the DX200 and bringing it to another level!

I've been quite happy using USB Audio / UAPP in 2.5.141L0, where the cracking on 44.1 sample rate files was noticeable but something I could get over. I've now downloaded Neutron so I can try it natively. But just to make sure I understand you right, when I use Neutron natively for bitperfect playback via the generic driver *without* starting the USB Audio app interface, is the DX200 DAC chip (XMOS) going to be in the same mode the USB Audio app interface would switch it to? I'm hoping the Neutron generic driver gives all the performance I got using your USB Audio app interface while eliminating the 44.1 sample rate cracking.

Thanks again!

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8,840 of 22,021
Well, the general consensus seems to be that the AMP3 is the best of the lot. I haven't tried it yet, but I think my postman/woman has a crush on me because things like these keep arriving on my doormat:

Initiating burn-in procedure.. :p
By the time that's done, my balanced to SE adapter should have arrived, along with my MMCX to 2-pin adapters, meaning my Katana can join in the fun!
And then... "let the carnage begin!" :D
That quote popped into my head when I was picturing all those things together in my grasp. It's from the comedy clip below; just came to mind and made me smile:

Wonder if anyone else remembers/likes this? :D

What are you burning in? Cables?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,841 of 22,021
What are you burning in? Cables?

Speaking of cables. . . . Any good recommendations on cable pairings with the DX200? Preferably ones with minimum microphonics. I have Rhapsodio Silver Litz, but the ergonomics and microphonic effect are quite noticeable unless you aren't moving at all. I need something more portable, but won't sacrifice on resolution, soundstage, etc once I get my AMP3. . . .

Thank you in advance for recommendations. . .

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #8,842 of 22,021
Speaking of cables. . . . Any good recommendations on cable pairings with the DX200? Preferably ones with minimum microphonics. I have Rhapsodio Silver Litz, but the ergonomics and microphonic effect are quite noticeable unless you aren't moving at all. I need something more portable, but won't sacrifice on resolution, soundstage, etc once I get my AMP3. . . .

This is what I recommend

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #8,843 of 22,021
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #8,846 of 22,021
when I use Neutron natively for bitperfect playback via the generic driver *without* starting the USB Audio app interface, is the DX200 DAC chip (XMOS) going to be in the same mode the USB Audio app interface would switch it to?
No. The new Neutron uses the same Android API extension as Mango Player in Android uses. So, like MangoPlayer, Neutron plays 44.1kHz recordings cleanly.

But this, normal, mode is limited to 24/192. MangoPlayer switches XMOS chip for DSD and very high res (same mode that USB Audio forces) by itself. Neutron does not care, and sends DSD and very high res, but they can't be played by the stock firmware. With my changes in 2.5.141L1, mode switch is done by me for Neutron at very low Android level (libtinyalsa), when such music stream is detected, and switches the mode back to normal, when it is not required.

It also saves battery, compared to USB Audio: when XMOS chip in USB OTG mode, DX200 drains more power. Same in Mango playing DSD, of course.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #8,847 of 22,021
What are you burning in? Cables?...

I'm burning in the new AMP3 lol. Also in the photo. You had a 50-50 chance, but unfortunately on this occasion you guessed wrong :p
I'm not sure that cables would require burn-in, but I'll probably give them a short burn-in, because I have nothing to lose and I'm already burning in the AMP3 anyway so it doesn't inconvenience me at all :)

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #8,848 of 22,021

I haven't tried them myself, but based on reputation and his personal recommendation, @jerick70 's suggestion looks good.
In terms of appearance, there's only one of them that I like (this one: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/473...-copper-litz-iem-cable?ref=shop_home_active_7 ), but that copper looks beautiful :)

However, what I *have* personally tried is the CB13 cable. I did feel there was an improvement in clarity and soundstage when using this cable. I'm hoping to do a more rigorous test once I get some adapters through, but yeah, these cables are gorgeous, extremely well made, and with typical iBasso care over choosing the best materials and manufacturing methods and offering them at a price which is far less than that of comparable rivals. Also, I've found there often is (perhaps unsurprisingly) a good synergy when using products from the same manufacturer together.

One question though; what IEM's (or headphones) are you planning to plug these cables into? And what kind of sound signature would you prefer overall?

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #8,849 of 22,021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back