DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #5,236 of 22,021
Tralucent makes excellent IEMs. The sq of this device is phenomenal. I'm actually writing my review...comparing it to the DX80, DX100, and the AK380. The sq beats the former two and gives the 380 a run for the money.

Hi icefalkon,

I am looking to buy a DAP and an AMP and HD650 but, I am confused between dx80 and Fiio X5 3. If dx200 is really ahead of dx80 and X5 3, I would stretch my budget and go for dx200. I am currently using Cowon Z2 with Fiio A3 amp, I am very much used to the JetEffects of Cowon and like the Cowon sound signature. As you own Cowon J3, can you tell me how Cowon compares to ibasso?

Please help me, I really can't decide.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,237 of 22,021

Tralucent makes excellent IEMs. The sq of this device is phenomenal. I'm actually writing my review...comparing it to the DX80, DX100, and the AK380. The sq beats the former two and gives the 380 a run for the money.

Hi icefalkon,

I am looking to buy a DAP and an AMP and HD650 but, I am confused between dx80 and Fiio X5 3. If dx200 is really ahead of dx80 and X5 3, I would stretch my budget and go for dx200. I am currently using Cowon Z2 with Fiio A3 amp, I am very much used to the JetEffects of Cowon and like the Cowon sound signature. As you own Cowon J3, can you tell me how Cowon compares to ibasso?

Please help me, I really can't decide.

Hey DSRK,

Well, to be honest...for years I loved the Cowon sound signature also...it's very very appealing. However...years ago when I found iBasso I was floored by the sound of the DX100. For years I thought there was no way iBasso could top it. But they have. The iBasso sounds better on every level, honestly. Pull the trigger.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #5,240 of 22,021
Whenever I install APKs for system wide EQs they sound awful. Does anyone know why is this different in this regard in comparison to other Android devices? 

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5,242 of 22,021
Please contact me at paul@ibasso.com and we will get this resolved.
Please let me know how this goes. You can contact me at paul@ibasso.com

There are times when the 3rd party app can be an issue. We are working on everything but if it is caused by an interface of the app we can not always prevent problems. We will always approach the problem though and do what we can. We will have another FW in not too long.

We am trying to figure out why some programs will cause a few issues on one DX200 and not on another one. It may be how the app was loaded etc. I am glad you are enjoying the DX200. That is what we want and desire for everyone. We will constantly work towards this.

Ok, i will stay Patient Paul :)
Again thanks for your constant Support!!!

And be sure that i love my device, first DAP and not regreting one $

Beautiful Sound quality!!!

Together we will make the UI great and everyone will be pleased!

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5,243 of 22,021
I've been looking for reviews and comparisons on these two models with no luck , great comparison pal :beerchug: help me a lot as I was looking at the DX200 or AK300
[COLOR=000000]Astell & Kern AK300 vs iBasso DX200.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]I think we need to view this mini comparison from multpile angles to be fair.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Areas like design are important to people, I feel deep down despite AK300 being slightly harder to hold with its sharpish corners (especially without the case) AK have developed some extremely appealing/modern looking players, I do prefer the appearance of AK300 personally overall, it does look closer to what a player should in 2016. Looks aside, I feel the iBasso is easier to wrap your hand around and hold without feeling awkward, especially when accessing the volume wheel and side controls. DX200 has very similar form factor to a (thickish) smartphone which leans in favour for an everyday device, but remember its quite a bit larger than the AK300 (see photo) .Sometimes when you hold an AK unit you can't help feel if you're doing it incorrectly or the units going to slide out of its case unless babied but it will fit inside most pockets. Visually yes, it won me over on day-1. The AK players are well designed.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]We need to consider DX200's amp modules, full Android capabilities, web browsing, (not that I would) installing apps (even Angry Birds if you're crazy enough), this gives the iBasso a huge advantage in features and versatility at roughly the same price, AK300 does have Tidal to be fair but so can DX200! As much I think AK300's UI is pretty consistent without any bugs its also quite simple looking, straight forward, while the Android mode DX200 player is faster, more colourful and I  personally feel the swiping motions on DX200 are quicker to use than a back arrow located onscreen. Overall, I can't call an 'obvious' winner on the user interfaces but would lean on the appearance and speed of DX200's Android player, especially those swiping motions. It really is quite fast to use.. I must add though DX200 will need the ability in future firmware for on-screen volume adjustments within the app (we must have this soon).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]And the sound...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]AK300 has a unique house sound with a slight warm tilt to its mid-range, its relatively flat overall which doesn't lend any favours in energy but its timbre and atmosphere makes it sound quite classy, expensive to some degree, I'll always like that about the AK. it does however, always sound too relaxed for me, overly smooth around its mid-range and lacks high levels of detail. DX200 has a very big advantage for people who prefer resolution, clarity, and high energy presentations, AK300 has the kind of mid-range I'm always turning up the volume trying to achieve detail levels my DX90 can practically do, what you end up with is a slightly veiled or under-performing (call it what you will ) mid-range that's lacking vibrancy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]As an example, if you've ever plugged a portable amp into a source and thought it sounded a bit smoothed over, lacking transparency or missing detail this is how AK300 sounds to me with my Tralucent IEMs, like there's always a light veil over the sound, and it simply cannot keep up with DX200 in this regard. Soundstage wise and air AK300 can hold ground, also its layering but its just missing so much energy and authority compared to DX200 its a little laughable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000](I'm not sure what I'll do with my AK300 atm, its volume wheel is partly faulty, it sounds too relaxed for all my current IEMs and apart from looking pretty awesome and getting used from USB Audio out to my Tralucent DAC doesn't have much of a life here)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]My DX200 has about 20-30 hours on it, so things would have only improved from here. When we consider DX200 is being compared to other flagship players its not really surprising this is the case. What's more interesting is these two players pricing, they're both around the same price in USD yet one strongly pulls away reaching into a higher realm.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Astell & Kern AK300 vs iBasso DX200.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]I think we need to view this mini comparison from multpile angles to be fair.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Areas like design are important to people, I feel deep down despite AK300 being slightly harder to hold with its sharpish corners (especially without the case) AK have developed some extremely appealing/modern looking players, I do prefer the appearance of AK300 personally overall, it does look closer to what a player should in 2016. Looks aside, I feel the iBasso is easier to wrap your hand around and hold without feeling awkward, especially when accessing the volume wheel and side controls. DX200 has very similar form factor to a (thickish) smartphone which leans in favour for an everyday device, but remember its quite a bit larger than the AK300 (see photo) .Sometimes when you hold an AK unit you can't help feel if you're doing it incorrectly or the units going to slide out of its case unless babied but it will fit inside most pockets. Visually yes, it won me over on day-1. The AK players are well designed.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]We need to consider DX200's amp modules, full Android capabilities, web browsing, (not that I would) installing apps (even Angry Birds if you're crazy enough), this gives the iBasso a huge advantage in features and versatility at roughly the same price, AK300 does have Tidal to be fair but so can DX200! As much I think AK300's UI is pretty consistent without any bugs its also quite simple looking, straight forward, while the Android mode DX200 player is faster, more colourful and I  personally feel the swiping motions on DX200 are quicker to use than a back arrow located onscreen. Overall, I can't call an 'obvious' winner on the user interfaces but would lean on the appearance and speed of DX200's Android player, especially those swiping motions. It really is quite fast to use.. I must add though DX200 will need the ability in future firmware for on-screen volume adjustments within the app (we must have this soon).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]And the sound...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]AK300 has a unique house sound with a slight warm tilt to its mid-range, its relatively flat overall which doesn't lend any favours in energy but its timbre and atmosphere makes it sound quite classy, expensive to some degree, I'll always like that about the AK. it does however, always sound too relaxed for me, overly smooth around its mid-range and lacks high levels of detail. DX200 has a very big advantage for people who prefer resolution, clarity, and high energy presentations, AK300 has the kind of mid-range I'm always turning up the volume trying to achieve detail levels my DX90 can practically do, what you end up with is a slightly veiled or under-performing (call it what you will ) mid-range that's lacking vibrancy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]As an example, if you've ever plugged a portable amp into a source and thought it sounded a bit smoothed over, lacking transparency or missing detail this is how AK300 sounds to me with my Tralucent IEMs, like there's always a light veil over the sound, and it simply cannot keep up with DX200 in this regard. Soundstage wise and air AK300 can hold ground, also its layering but its just missing so much energy and authority compared to DX200 its a little laughable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000](I'm not sure what I'll do with my AK300 atm, its volume wheel is partly faulty, it sounds too relaxed for all my current IEMs and apart from looking pretty awesome and getting used from USB Audio out to my Tralucent DAC doesn't have much of a life here)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]My DX200 has about 20-30 hours on it, so things would have only improved from here. When we consider DX200 is being compared to other flagship players its not really surprising this is the case. What's more interesting is these two players pricing, they're both around the same price in USD yet one strongly pulls away reaching into a higher realm.[/COLOR]

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,244 of 22,021
I was definitely getting frustrated with my DX200 with all the glitches and phantom touches and restarting apps every few minutes or so... turns out my device's problem was hardware, not related to firmware or dirty screen issues. Thanks to Paul's help I received a replacement unit and everything has been working perfectly, and it may be my brain playing tricks on me but I think it may sound better.

iBasso needs to give Paul a hefty raise - I'm sure he's responsible for many of us sticking through this rough initial patch, thanks to him we get to stick around long enough to enjoy the DX200 the way we're supposed to.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #5,245 of 22,021
...........................................SNIP............................................

iBasso needs to give Paul a hefty raise - I'm sure he's responsible for many of us sticking through this rough initial patch, thanks to him we get to stick around long enough to enjoy the DX200 the way we're supposed to.

+1! The customer service from iBasso is truly outstanding! Very few threads have a manufacturer presence such as we have here. We are very fortunate.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #5,246 of 22,021
I'm getting a bit of lag swiping on the mango player/OS on the dx200. Will the most recent firmware fix this issue? 

Swipes on the android OS is quick and responsive. The mango OS not so much.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #5,247 of 22,021
  I'm getting a bit of lag swiping on the mango player/OS on the dx200. Will the most recent firmware fix this issue? 

Swipes on the android OS is quick and responsive. The mango OS not so much.

There is a slight lag in Mango. I think they said somewhere they will work on this. I really don't even notice it. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #5,248 of 22,021
Hi, I only come to comment that fantastic service support from paul and ibasso of course.

In just 10 days I got my amp replacement, it is a good time considering that I send from Chile. (The time is the first contact for support until the reception of the new amp in my home)

Best regards

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #5,249 of 22,021
Dear paul, I think the poping sound from switching music is caused by the buffer is not fully initialized and at the same time the player try to play the music, caused invalid content is played and the pop sound appears.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #5,250 of 22,021
Dear paul, I think the poping sound from switching music is caused by the buffer is not fully initialized and at the same time the player try to play the music, caused invalid content is played and the pop sound appears.

The popping sound only appears when the next song has different sampling rate than the previous song. At least on my unit. My guess is that the player has to clear the queue/buffer and resets it before in loads the next file which creates pop sound. 

But I'll let Paul, iBasso give the details about it. Maybe optimizing the system (CPU, memory usage) may help. Probably @Lurker0 is already looking into it. A native Rockbox port is another option. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back