DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 29, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #3,421 of 22,021
New here. I was wondering if anyone has tested it with Hip Hop music. Usually I hear old school from the 80s and 90s. Would it be worth an investment for Hip Hop heads? Thanks

I listen to a lot of hip hop. Although it's sounds very good, if you want a DAP with more bass, there are other options. Not a knock against the DX200, it isn't a very colored dap. Most seem to prefer that. Even with the eq enabled, the difference isn't large.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,422 of 22,021
(Not a problem but would be nice)

So, when playing songs via the 'all music' tab, when a new song comes on, it would be nice if when you swiped left to go back to all your songs, it would take you to the song that is currently playing. That way, if there's a song on the same album that you'd like to listen to, you don't have to go scrolling through. Make sense?

Good suggestion! It works that way when playing albums, would be very convenient if it would do that for 'All Music' also. Should be an easy fix in the next firmware update. Perhaps Paul can add this suggestion to his growing list.

The DX90 does what you suggest although by a touch rather than a swipe, so I suspect that the DX200 was also supposed exhibit the same behaviour but doesn't.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,423 of 22,021
I listen to a lot of hip hop. Although it's sounds very good, if you want a DAP with more bass, there are other options. Not a knock against the DX200, it isn't a very colored dap. Most seem to prefer that. Even with the eq enabled, the difference isn't large.

There are a number of free Android players that have bass boost options as well as pretty effective EQ's. Should be easy to find a free one to meet your sound preferences.

I have been downloading different apps to my phone to try them out and if I find a free one I want to try, I then download the .apk to an mSD card that I devote to app files. I can then install it on my DX200 at my leisure. There aren't many pay apps that I care about installing anyhow, as Tidal was my biggest concern and it is working just fine.

There's not much point in loading a lot of different apps early on as they all get deleted by the factory reset when updating firmware. I am just saving most of my possibles until the firmware updates incorporate the suggestions submitted previously throughout the thread.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,425 of 22,021
While I don't use my DX200 as DAC from my computer, I was pleased to find that it is working perfectly via USB output to my portable DAC/Amp. While it does have optical and coax outputs, my small DAC/Amp only has a micro USB input as does the Shozy REI that is enroute to me.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,428 of 22,021
​That's for the info, do you have any desktop amps? curious on how the DX200 fares with the 650 compared to desktop amps.

I have tried DX200 with HD650 both directly and via line out to a Schiit Valhalla 2. I previously used the same set up with a DX90.
Both the DX90 and DX200 drive them fine on high gain (single ended). There is obviously much more power at hand going through the Valhalla, but you do sacrifice a small bit in terms of detail retrieval.
With the DX90 and the HD650s, I did find bass lines were slightly muddied, and although the midrange was absolutely wonderful and I am quite sensitive to sibliance, I could have done with a bit more sparkle in the top end. I am pleased to report the DX200 dramatically improves things. The bass clarity and detail is great, and there is a more lively treble, making for a more airy, spacious sound. The midrange is as wonderful as the hd650 midrange always is. I also find timing with this combination to be excellent (that toe tapping feeling), the DX200 has so much control.
Do I need the Valhalla 2 or would the DX200 be fine on its own? I'm not sure yet. I need to get some more hours on the DAP, and do some more listening. I can say that with the Valhalla and DX200 running hot on my bedside table, it's like having a cosy radiator next to me through the cold English winter nights!

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,429 of 22,021
I have a couple questions regarding the 'interchangeable amps' feature:

- Is there any projected time-frame for the release of other amp cards?
- Will other amp cards be 'add-ons' in addition to the one currently offered, or will versions of the DX-200 w/ different amps?
- Will there be a lower-powered but still balanced amp suitable for IEMs?
- MOST IMPORTANT (for me) would I be making a mistake to purchase a DX-200 with the current amp given that I use CIEMs only?

I searched this thread -- found lots of speculation but no authoritative information. Probably no definitive answers available, but appreciate any input.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,430 of 22,021
I have tried DX200 with HD650 both directly and via line out to a Schiit Valhalla 2. I previously used the same set up with a DX90.
Both the DX90 and DX200 drive them fine on high gain (single ended). There is obviously much more power at hand going through the Valhalla, but you do sacrifice a small bit in terms of detail retrieval.
With the DX90 and the HD650s, I did find bass lines were slightly muddied, and although the midrange was absolutely wonderful and I am quite sensitive to sibliance, I could have done with a bit more sparkle in the top end. I am pleased to report the DX200 dramatically improves things. The bass clarity and detail is great, and there is a more lively treble, making for a more airy, spacious sound. The midrange is as wonderful as the hd650 midrange always is. I also find timing with this combination to be excellent (that toe tapping feeling), the DX200 has so much control.
Do I need the Valhalla 2 or would the DX200 be fine on its own? I'm not sure yet. I need to get some more hours on the DAP, and do some more listening. I can say that with the Valhalla and DX200 running hot on my bedside table, it's like having a cosy radiator next to me through the cold English winter nights!

The 650 needs a high voltage swing amp, i have the dx90 and i can tell you it can't drive the 650 at all and nor does any of the portable amps, even good solid states struggle.

If you think the 650 is being driven by the dap then you have to listen to it on a OTL tube amp.

The dap is good for portable stuff iems and efficient cans like the fostex is own , but i do not understand why would you even run the 650 with a dap.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,431 of 22,021

The 650 needs a high voltage swing amp, i have the dx90 and i can tell you it can't drive the 650 at all and nor does any of the portable amps, even good solid states struggle.

If you think the 650 is being driven by the dap then you have to listen to it on a OTL tube amp.

The dap is good for portable stuff iems and efficient cans like the fostex is own , but i do not understand why would you even run the 650 with a dap.

Huh? Where does that com from? My HD650's are one of the easiest driving can's I've ever tried. From the DX80, to the Cowon J3, to the DX100 and above...I have never needed any high voltage amp to drive these things. I've had them for about 5yrs and they're my go to can's for just about anything. Do you have any product other than the DX90? I am currently testing the DX200 against the DX100, the DX80, and RWAK100. and the AK380. To say this DX200 is only good for iem's and efficient can's like..of all things...Fostex. (Which of course are the base for the MrSpeakers Alpha Primes which are power pigs). 

I don't understand where you're getting this misinformation.

As for portable amps....the Tralucent T1 drives the 650's fantastically and if you want even better....look up the C&C BH amp. This little thing from China is fantastic and can drive just about anything on the market. So that's another statement busted. a

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,432 of 22,021
its not misinformation its from my own experience. its not about volume but when you hear the 650 on a proper setup you will understand what I mean.

if you are happy with your setup i am glad. But its just what i can say that a dap can't power the 650 even good amps can't. but maybe you have a different set who knows.

hear the 650 on a Crack or a LD if you get the chance.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,433 of 22,021
From my experience, the DX90 and DX80 sound good with a 650, but they are not driving that headphone to its fullest potential.  The DX100 is a little better, but also short of what I've heard a 650 sound like through a good amp.  I can't speak for the DX200 as I don't have one. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #3,434 of 22,021
Passed the 160 hour mark with the DX200.

It is interesting the various changes it has gone through.

Fresh out of the box, 50 hours, 75 hours 100, 150.....

I am interested in other impressions and comparisons with their totl daps as the hours of burn in go by.

I am mainly using only two IEMs during this process so I pick up the general changes.

I am looking forward to the reaching the recommended 200 hours to see what iBasso's intended final sound signature is.

It is fairly neutral now, bass is fast and tightened up as expected, excellent detail and instrument separation, the resolution over all is fantastic- without any fatigue.
Soundstage, I am still exploring.

It has great depth, a full sound without being bloated or muddy.

The clarity is beautiful.

It seems to hit all the right spots so far. Usually one dap is good at this, another at that - the DX200 seems to be ticking all the boxes soundwise...still another 40 hours to go though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back