DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 26, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #9,048 of 22,021
To everybody, I said i liked single ended than balanced better before. I take that back. Did not really try to listen more than few secs with balanced due to preference of ease to plug my iem to mobile phone, hence did not really paid any real attention to it.

This past week i have had serious listening with balanced on amp1. Iem being used is my old and only trusted iem: fitear tg334(got rid of layla ii because they're too huge for my ears and can't tolerate it anymore. Auditioned and placed order for fourte and now awaiting 2 to 3 months for arrival.)

From what i gather from this past week.. I can only say this: Just crazy. Crazy stunned by the synergy of dx200 and tg334. Everyday of the week i was just confirming what i found out on the first day over and over again, just to make sure it was not just a brain burn in or placebo effect. I can confidently say this now: Tg334 never sounded this beautiful ever on anything i had before on these daps: qp1r, ak240, x300r, and not a dap, hugo. Nothing come close to the dynamics and resolving power from the dx200(maybe only hugo, but there was a lot of hissing and its not really portable or practical to use for iems, it suits headphones better).

Dx200 maintains all that resolution, dynamics, transparency and energy while being smooth all the time and i find it grainless on the vocals. I pay special attention to vocals because thats where the tg334 shines and why i love it. Yet control on the overall spectrum is just nothing short of amazing on it. The bass is just tight and so resolved/textured. The highs.. well tg334 highs never was it's plus point yet i never heard it like this too on anything else, so clear and resolving. I can go on and on praising about this amazing dap but for you guys who are interested on dx200.. just do yourselves a favor, go and have a try/audition. Bring your favorite iem you're familiar with closely and hear for yourself. Also consider that this dap change dramatically after the burn in and gets better and better, so it would be better if you audition one that is burned in well.

About burn in.. This i did not really believe back then when i got it new and thought for the sound this dap was a bit overhyped on this thread. That was back then. The single ended performance improved greatly after burn in but i have no idea how much the balanced end improved. I just know now that it is for a fact much much better than SE. And also.. this past week i have tried auditioning balanced and compared with balanced qp2r, opus#3, ak240, ak380. Nothing come close in term of balanced sweet spot of max resolution while maintaining musicality. Best overall value in my opinion. Opus#3 was quite interesting to be honest.. it is smooth.. very smooth and musical. But the resolution and control are not as good as dx200. Qp2r is a control monster. But it's not as musical against opus#3. Dx200 have the sweet spot on the middle. Just right on everything and cant find any weakness.

This is the best DAP i ever purchased and the price is such a bargain to boot for the performance. I was going to replace my x300r and was considering a few choices back then(opus#2, opus#3, wm1a, ak380). Then thanks to you guys i found this thread and decided to go ahead and get the dx200 instead(without the means to audition first on any of the daps considered). Was a bit weary for disappointment at first because back then i got burned by the katana and encore hypetrain, did not like at all when i got them(purely subjective sound preference, they're very technically good iem but i cant stand the sound sig). Boy oh boy am i glad now i decided to get the dx200. I hope ibasso will continue this pursuit for quality on their future releases. Cant wait how they will develop dx300. Thanks ibasso for upping the portable audio game and bringing true value to the price point.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #9,049 of 22,021
Alao. By serious listening.. i compared 320kbps mp3s, flacs 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, dsd64, dsd128, dsd binaural.

Yes i can confirm its easily noticeable difference between files quality especially when the mastering is excellent between those files. I love the hi-res 24 LP converts and dsd. The sounds are just so organic and the dynamic range are amazing compared to compressed 16/44.1 flacs masterings, difference is even more apparent on mp3s.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #9,050 of 22,021
I have used DX200 once or twice with iDSD BL, very nice sound as well. I don't even know which I like more personally, the DAC in DX200 is really hood, but the one in iDSD is really good as well. The amp section is slightly more U shaped in iDSD BL, but that is fun for me as well :darthsmile:
I have the iDSD BL too. It's a great combo with the DX200. I change between the iDSD and CDM at work. The iDSD is a "fun" sound and the CDM is more neutral. The thing I like about the CDM is you can change the sound with different tubes.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,051 of 22,021
Mod Comment

Rather than having to PM many of you - I'd prefer to do this as a single post.
  1. It is OK to post an opinion regarding equipment in a thread (good or bad) as long as it is done respectfully. Opinions are personal.
  2. It is not OK to troll - an example is when someone disses a product, but doesn't give reasons, and/or repeatedly states the same things in order to provoke responses.
  3. If you think someone is trolling - DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM. The Moderators will. Simply flag their posts.
  4. It is never OK to personally attack someone - regardless of whether they are breaking the rules. Two wrongs do not make a right.
I have removed a number of posts in this thread. Thread is now (IMO) back to a standard that meets our rules. Pllease do not reply to this post (its not up for debate) - just note it andcarry on with discussion about the DX200.

Thanks

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #9,052 of 22,021
Currently, a stock pair ( PHILLIPS ). However, I have about 7 to 8 different brands. Tested a different pair once awhile. I have CV5 tube amp to pair with qp1r and apple products as well on the go.
Haven't test DX200 with CV5 or Rx or oppo HA2 or RSA Intruder. I just love tube amps sound.
I like the Mullard tubes the best. They give you a fuller sound. I have a few others too.

I had the CV5 but sold it because I was going all balanced with my mobile/work rig. It is a very nice amp. It's perfect for on-the-go because of it's size, it's tiny.

Another portableish tube amp that I have tried is the Fostex HP-V1. This is my favorite portable tube amp. The sound is exceptional with everything I've tried it with.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #9,053 of 22,021
I got my dx200 a few weeks ago and I have been enjoying it. I do have a concern. I noticed that if I leave it sitting for a day or two, the battery drains to empty, even when it is not in use. Is this normal? None of my other DAPs have had this issue. When left idle, their batteries would drop a few percent over several days but none of them ever discharged at the rate the dx200 is discharging..

I suppose that I can shut off the dx200 and restart it next time I want to use it, but this is a bit of an inconvenience.

Cheers

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #9,054 of 22,021
Hi,
Wondering if warranty still good if I open amp1, amp2, amp3 to see the difference between them?

I don't think that you're going to keep the warranty if you open the AMP modules, but I also remember that there are photos of the internals around the internet, just not very sure where.

I am almost positive that there were a few on Facebook, in some audio related groups, and that at least one reviewer did open some of the amp modules, showing a very neatly layout inside, but I cannot remember who or where since it was a few days ago and I have a lot of new info to read every day. If I'm not mistaken, the capacitors in AMP3 were quite large :smile_phones:

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #9,055 of 22,021
I got my dx200 a few weeks ago and I have been enjoying it. I do have a concern. I noticed that if I leave it sitting for a day or two, the battery drains to empty, even when it is not in use. Is this normal? None of my other DAPs have had this issue. When left idle, their batteries would drop a few percent over several days but none of them ever discharged at the rate the dx200 is discharging..

I suppose that I can shut off the dx200 and restart it next time I want to use it, but this is a bit of an inconvenience.

Cheers

Is the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on while it's on standby? That will drain the battery even if the DX200 is otherwise on standby.

It's normal for mine too. With Wi-Fi on and the dx200 unplugged overnight, it was 89%, down from 100%, this morning.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #9,056 of 22,021
I like the Mullard tubes the best. They give you a fuller sound. I have a few others too.

I had the CV5 but sold it because I was going all balanced with my mobile/work rig. It is a very nice amp. It's perfect for on-the-go because of it's size, it's tiny.

Another portableish tube amp that I have tried is the Fostex HP-V1. This is my favorite portable tube amp. The sound is exceptional with everything I've tried it with.

The only brand I don't have is Mullard.
Bought the unit after that brand was sold out.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #9,057 of 22,021
Alao. By serious listening.. i compared 320kbps mp3s, flacs 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, dsd64, dsd128, dsd binaural.

Yes i can confirm its easily noticeable difference between files quality especially when the mastering is excellent between those files. I love the hi-res 24 LP converts and dsd. The sounds are just so organic and the dynamic range are amazing compared to compressed 16/44.1 flacs masterings, difference is even more apparent on mp3s.

When you compare against different formats, are you sure you are comparing the same master as the source? If not, then you are not really comparing the formats but rather you are comparing the masters. Take the master you like best and then convert it to different sampling/formats then compare.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #9,058 of 22,021
Is the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on while it's on standby? That will drain the battery even if the DX200 is otherwise on standby.

It's normal for mine too. With Wi-Fi on and the dx200 unplugged overnight, it was 89%, down from 100%, this morning.

Both Bluetooth and WiFi are off and I am still seeing very significant battery drain with the dx200 on standby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back