DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #8,011 of 22,021
Yes, I've noticed it myself.
But I had hard time interpreting these graphical displays. Particulary when I see similar lines, one with the peak toward left side, the other one peak in the center.
I then listened to the same song with different filters and noticed nearly zero difference...Alas. Thank you for your advise.

Forget about the filters, enjoy the music :wink:

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #8,013 of 22,021
Yes, merely searching for a point of settle down and just enjoying the music. Good day.

You will reach this point after you're done with your next purchase and take a break from Head-fi :) That's the only way to enjoy what you have without a stress of what you're missing :wink:

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,014 of 22,021
Been almost 10 days owning the dx200 and having it either burned in or short listening sessions.. total time burning in should be around 200 hours now including sometimes the unit resets itself and had to reactivate player. Hopefully ibasso will keep updating the firmware so we can have a 100% stable one in the future. I can report the burn in effect is very real. Loving the sound very much. Am not an expert in picturing sounds into words but best i can come up with is the dx200 is a detail monster without sacrificing musicality, transparent and effortless, and super clean clear sound with much power while maintaining smoothness. I love it better than everything i owned before: qp1r, xdp300r, ak240, akjr, hugo.

Playing around last night switching between balanced and SE, high and low gain, found that i love SE better.. either with high or low gain(more on this later). While balanced have more energy and air(brightness), i find SE a tad smoother for my taste. And for practical purpose too since i dont have to switch cable to use the iems on my phone.

My experience is based on only two iems: jh layla 2 and fitear tg334. And the layla makes up about 90% of the time trying out the dx200. Between high and low gain.. with trying to match volume as best as i could, i found both very enjoyable with low gain having a tad more smoothness in vocals and high gain having more energy and fullness in vocals, bass and highs(sibilance a bit more apparent). Both are very resolving though. I also found that the layla needs more volume than the tg334. I guess the 334 is the more efficient one.

Can't wait to see-i mean hear what's it like after 300 hours burn in. Oh yeah.. i prefer filter 2.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #8,015 of 22,021
Anyone have experience with the Aeon Flow planar headphones and the DX200?

I do have the aeon flow but the best source I have tried with it is the Hugo. It's not that DX200 is bad, it's just all DAPs I have tried (DX200, QP2R, AK240SS) doesn't convey a sense of space/depth of the music better than the Hugo. And between the DAPs I mentioned QP2R comes 2nd to Hugo. I find DX200 (with Amp1) a little bit harder sounding and piercing no matter which filter I used.

Perhaps it because of Amp1 more than the ES9028Pro DAC. I tried the Aeon with my benchmark DAC2 HGC and it sounded similar if not close to the Hugo.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #8,016 of 22,021
I do have the aeon flow but the best source I have tried with it is the Hugo. It's not that DX200 is bad, it's just all DAPs I have tried (DX200, QP2R, AK240SS) doesn't convey a sense of space/depth of the music better than the Hugo. And between the DAPs I mentioned QP2R comes 2nd to Hugo. I find DX200 (with Amp1) a little bit harder sounding and piercing no matter which filter I used.

Perhaps it because of Amp1 more than the ES9028Pro DAC. I tried the Aeon with my benchmark DAC2 HGC and it sounded similar if not close to the Hugo.

I would try the AMP3.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #8,017 of 22,021
I have the 71b but haven't compared them. If I have time I will give it a listen.

Oh yes please! Looking forward to read your impression with both. Thanks!

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #8,020 of 22,021
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #8,021 of 22,021

I have never had my DX200 sound piercing. I would have it checked out. We all hear things differently of course but one thing I can't stand is a top heavy or over energized high or upper mid freq. range.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #8,022 of 22,021
I have never had my DX200 sound piercing. I would have it checked out. We all hear things differently of course but one thing I can't stand is a top heavy or over energized high or upper mid freq. range.

I wouldn't say that DX200 is piercing either, it has a clean and well defined sound with lots of details, but nothing like a piercing sound or the like.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #8,023 of 22,021
New owner of dx200 here. serious great stuff. I own many desktop DAC, portable as well, like Algo db+ with Alo rx3b, mojo, nothing could match dx200.Strong point of dx200 is focus imaging, non fatigue detail, airy and not over sweet high. All freq spect render with texture, e.g. you could hear the detail in bass, mid bass, mid vocal and high in proper seperation (doesn't muddle each other even you turn up the vol). Some say bass is not deep enough, I say bass is accurately deep and transient is there, not boom boom boomy type which I hate. IF one think this is too thin, likely the headphone or iem you use is not your taste. I personally prefer dynamic driver IEM over BA, and recently I think hybrid is best. (e.g KZ ZS5) For full size I use HEK and HD600 moded.

I onw Chord dave, this dx200 really a run for my money compare to Dave and all the upstream transport ($$$$$)

By the way some have issue scan their SD card. I did not have a problem till I reset to factory setting one day, and after which I couldn't complete a scan which I could before. I took out the sd card and repair it under windows and there's error. My guess is during factory reset, write cache was not fully written to the card. Its better to eject your card in settings before you do factory reset.

oh also, some claim no sound benefit with custom cook rom. I use windowsX rom, it does upgrade the sound as mention above. Not to open another can of worm here, if you don't feel worth your time to try or even spend money on please don't, you will only get "thinner" sound.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #8,024 of 22,021
Just received AMP3. Out of the box - what a difference from AMP1! Know if only DX200 gets rid of bugs...

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #8,025 of 22,021
Just received AMP3. Out of the box - what a difference from AMP1! Know if only DX200 gets rid of bugs...
Care to describe how?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back