DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #662 of 22,021
  What did bass boost ever do to you... just an innocent little switch trying to make its way in the world
frown.gif

It's not the switch that bothers me - it's the potential of unnecessary components on the circuitboard, polluting the purity of the circuitry and the signal, and/or complicating the efficiency of the firmware.

Totally unnecessary (and bad for your hearing, especially if you listen with sealed IEMs/CIEMs, as increased bass leads to increased excursion of the eardrum, and increased physical stimulation of the cilia in the cochlea).

May 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #663 of 22,021

It's not the switch that bothers me - it's the potential of unnecessary components on the circuitboard, polluting the purity of the circuitry and the signal, and/or complicating the efficiency of the firmware.

Totally unnecessary (and bad for your hearing, especially if you listen with sealed IEMs/CIEMs, as increased bass leads to increased excursion of the eardrum, and increased physical stimulation of the cilia in the cochlea).

At least we die happy, bleeding from our ears 
basshead.gif

May 31, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #666 of 22,021
Tell you what. The market is becoming quite congested with DAP's lately. What the hell is going on. I mean it's a small market considering most people use their phones these days and there are only so many people who want the latest and greatest. Lot's of new gotta get on the hype train scenarios whilst perfectly fine DAP's released not so long ago are no longer popular yet they have the same primary features ie the ability to reproduce music satisfactorily.

It's crazy!!

May 31, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #667 of 22,021
Tell you what. The market is becoming quite congested with DAP's lately. What the hell is going on. I mean it's a small market considering most people use their phones these days and there are only so many people who want the latest and greatest. Lot's of new gotta get on the hype train scenarios whilst perfectly fine DAP's released not so long ago are no longer popular yet they have the same primary features ie the ability to reproduce music satisfactorily.

It's crazy!!

Well, mate, it's a crazy worl we're living in.

But your critique is pretty much on point. It's something I should really learn - enjoy what I allready have instead of desperately waiting for what I could still get..

May 31, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #668 of 22,021

It's crazy!!

And that is a reason why Android DAP releases getting so much attention (DX200, X7, DP-X1, i5) - many people like the convenience of combining the best of a standalone DAP with a smartphone wireless/streaming functionality.  Sure, smartphones can play music, but can they drive demanding headphones?  They can implement the best DAC, but do they have room to partition properly digital vs analog circuit while keeping noise coupling under control?  They are super thin, which means not enough room for quality power filtering capacitors or implementing a proper analog amp section.  And just think how fast your phone battery drains with 3G/4G wireless radio on, and with a constant music streaming you will drain the battery even faster.  Smartphone solution - OTG usb dac, but that means strapping another piece of equipment to the back of your phone, making it less pocketable/portable.  And if you are dealing with a small usb DAC without battery - you will drain your phone's battery faster, while with a bigger usb DAC with a battery built-in - you are adding even more bulk and rubber bands which are covering your touch screen.

There are plenty of pros and cons.  In my opinion, Android DAP still make a lot of sense if they combine the best of the summit-fi DAP and the best of your smartphone (minus the wireless radio).  And I also think small dedicated DAPs also make a lot of sense where you get a basic touch screen functionality and a long battery life (plenue D got it right, but I heard from others the sound quality is meh).  Personally, I would have loved in addition to DX200 to see something like DX30 at half the size of DX80 and at least double the battery life
wink.gif

May 31, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #669 of 22,021

May 31, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #670 of 22,021

And that is a reason why Android DAP releases getting so much attention (DX200, X7, DP-X1, i5) - many people like the convenience of combining the best of a standalone DAP with a smartphone wireless/streaming functionality.  Sure, smartphones can play music, but can they drive demanding headphones?  They can implement the best DAC, but do they have room to partition properly digital vs analog circuit while keeping noise coupling under control?  They are super thin, which means not enough room for quality power filtering capacitors or implementing a proper analog amp section.  And just think how fast your phone battery drains with 3G/4G wireless radio on, and with a constant music streaming you will drain the battery even faster.  Smartphone solution - OTG usb dac, but that means strapping another piece of equipment to the back of your phone, making it less pocketable/portable.  And if you are dealing with a small usb DAC without battery - you will drain your phone's battery faster, while with a bigger usb DAC with a battery built-in - you are adding even more bulk and rubber bands which are covering your touch screen.

There are plenty of pros and cons.  In my opinion, Android DAP still make a lot of sense if they combine the best of the summit-fi DAP and the best of your smartphone (minus the wireless radio).  And I also think small dedicated DAPs also make a lot of sense where you get a basic touch screen functionality and a long battery life (plenue D got it right, but I heard from others the sound quality is meh).  Personally, I would have loved in addition to DX200 to see something like DX30 at half the size of DX80 and at least double the battery life
wink.gif

Yeah, I'm all for Android based DAP's but they are not really the full on Android experience. A modded version unless I'm mistaken by the DAP manufacturer and at the mercy of their firmware upgrades as opposed to full on OTA updates. In addition they are still a little laggy compared to the CPU's and amount of RAM found in smartphones.

As for USB OTG I'm using a dedicated Galaxy S3 so the only negative for me is the stack. After the mobile plan on each Phone expires it will be relegated to a source for the DAC/AMP I have at the time.

May 31, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #671 of 22,021
DX90 is old news, daps have since advanced in their circuit design, now days daps use a CPLD for audio processing instead of the CPU which has to run the OS, this improves audio quality by no small amount, all newer daps have progressed in this direction. HM801, DX90, X5, AK120, etc, that general era of daps relied on the CPU for everything. The next gen of daps QA360, AK240, N6, X5ii, DX80, M2, QP1R, etc, etc, all use an intermediary chip for audio processing. If you just want a dap that works well then DX90 is fine, but if you don't want outdated tech, then skip dx90.

edit: above edited their comment and now my comment is no longer relevant, heh.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #672 of 22,021
  Yeah, I'm all for Android based DAP's but they are not really the full on Android experience. A modded version unless I'm mistaken by the DAP manufacturer and at the mercy of their firmware upgrades as opposed to full on OTA updates. In addition they are still a little laggy compared to the CPU's and amount of RAM found in smartphones.

As for USB OTG I'm using a dedicated Galaxy S3 so the only negative for me is the stack. After the mobile plan on each Phone expires it will be relegated to a source for the DAC/AMP I have at the time.

Anyone want to experience an Android smarthphone with the ES9028 DAC you can try the Vivo X6Plus now.  Too bad it's quite bulky at 5.7 inch and it's also a shame any smartphone being used as a DAP goes out-of-date more quickly than a non-smartphone DAP, plus you don't look like an audiophile using a smartphone player
wink_face.gif

As an aside I hope the DX200 is priced in the right range perhaps double the price of the the DX80? Anywhere higher than that and I am leaning toward an AK300 at this time already.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #673 of 22,021
OK then...because the waiting (for DX200) takes so long, I decided to treat myself on a used DX100 in the meantime...

...and I must say that I'm very impressed with its sq (I prefer it over DX90) so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Now the waiting continues (while listening)
wink.gif

cookie-monster-waiting.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #674 of 22,021
  OK then...because the waiting (for DX200) takes so long, I decided to treat myself on a used DX100 in the meantime...

...and I must say that I'm very impressed with its sq (I prefer it over DX90) so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Now the waiting continues (while listening)
wink.gif

DX200 actually going to be just two DX100's glued together, for balanced out you plug one ear into each and hit play at the same time.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #675 of 22,021
  DX200 actually going to be just two DX100's glued together, for balanced out you plug one ear into each and hit play at the same time.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

I don't think I could handle the awfulness of the DX100s firmware multiplied by 2!
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back