DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #5,641 of 22,021
also... new 2.1.94 firmware... playing albums in native mango still results in some tracks within an album being played out of order. track files are labeled with track number first in file name, and all tracks have track number meta data. annoying that such a seemingly simple yet important function of an audio player is still not fixed.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #5,642 of 22,021
  Honestly guys.  Tried again tonite after 24 more hours (475 hour zone).  This thing is a poor alternative to the DX90.  Wiry, inorganic and gutless hifi.  The 90 is wildly better if you have any idea how live vs reproduced music sounds.  I hope they come out with a  new amp module. Or that balanced utterly transforms it. Otherwise, this thing is a paperweight to me.

Please remove the amp section and put it back in place. Possibly the contacts need to be resseated. The sound you are describing is not normal.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #5,643 of 22,021
Honestly guys.  Tried again tonite after 24 more hours (475 hour zone).  This thing is a poor alternative to the DX90.  Wiry, inorganic and gutless hifi.  The 90 is wildly better if you have any idea how live vs reproduced music sounds.  I hope they come out with a  new amp module. Or that balanced utterly transforms it. Otherwise, this thing is a paperweight to me.

LOL if you're serious, then I would definitely see an audiologist. Saying this unit is sub-par to the DX90 is the equivalent of saying that a StarTak phone was more powerful than an iPhone. Now I don't know how long you've had the DX200, or if you even have the correct firmware installed. What I do know is that many of us have owned some of the highest end DAP's ever produced and find it comparable to them. The DX90 is in no way better than the DX200 according to thousands of users. The DX90 is in no way better than the DX80 according to thousands of users. Both the DX80 and DX90 are not even in the same league as the venerable DX100. That being said, the DX200 has brought the tonality, sound quality, and dynamics of that DX100 to an entirely new level.

If you have truly burned this unit in for 475 hours and have poor quality sound, tell Paul from iBasso and have them send you a new unit. I assure you that you have a lemon. Lets put it this way...on just about every single audiophile website, people are raving about this unit. I personally compared it to the AK380 and found it in league with it. I also compared it to my DX80, DX90, DX100, Cowon, and FiiO units side by side. I was not the only one amazed at this DAP. (BTW I didn't get a "free' unit, and I certainly don't work for them). But you don't have to believe me, you can hear from members here or read the many reviews online.

Seriously, speak to Paul and look into getting a replacement unit. There is something wrong with the one you have.
That the majority thinks DX200 is better is not really proof of anything. Maybe he just doesn't like the tonality of the DX200. With my current iems and the current amp card, the DX200 is not really doing it for me emotionally. I refrain from insisting too much on this typically because of reactions like this who will jump on anyone who does not agree.

I am still keeping the DX200 to try other pairings. Don't get me wrong, I still think it sounds good, just not the type of sound I am looking for, at least at this stage with my current iems.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #5,644 of 22,021
mmmm. I have the dx90 and dx200 (dx80 too). I love the dx90 and paired with my chord mojo, I considered it to be the ultimate travelling rig. For me the dx200 is pretty obviously an improvement in every area.

At this level, I think it's a bit misguided to be taking about a sound signature concerning the dx200. It is very neutral and I think this is what you'd expect of a reference level dap, Its level of detail retrieval, balance and airiness  .....soundstage/depth etc are the things that set it apart and raise it to a reference level. Some people don't like that....they want coloration added bass/ warmth. I don't think a reference level DAP should be adding those things. It should be aiming to provide the most accurate representation of the source file/recording.

I'd suggest headphone selection is the more appropriate way of obtaining  coloration/ emphasis on your sound. 

I've been very impressed with the dx200. It does everything I want it to do ....and paired with the right headphones (in my case ether flows and dh800's) sounds exceptional. 

sbb

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #5,645 of 22,021
mmmm. I have the dx90 and dx200 (dx80 too). I love the dx90 and paired with my chord mojo, I considered it to be the ultimate travelling rig. For me the dx200 is pretty obviously an improvement in every area.

At this level, I think it's a bit misguided to be taking about a sound signature concerning the dx200. It is very neutral and I think this is what you'd expect of a reference level dap, Its level of detail retrieval, balance and airiness  .....soundstage/depth etc are the things that set it apart and raise it to a reference level. Some people don't like that....they want coloration added bass/ warmth. I don't think a reference level DAP should be adding those things. It should be aiming to provide the most accurate representation of the source file/recording.

I'd suggest headphone selection is the more appropriate way of obtaining  coloration/ emphasis on your sound. 

I've been very impressed with the dx200. It does everything I want it to do ....and paired with the right headphones (in my case ether flows and dh800's) sounds exceptional. 

sbb
So not agreeing with this consensus is necessarily misguided...interesting. I shall stick to the message of the Party from now on :D

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #5,646 of 22,021
That the majority thinks DX200 is better is not really proof of anything. Maybe he just doesn't like the tonality of the DX200. With my current iems and the current amp card, the DX200 is not really doing it for me emotionally. I refrain from insisting too much on this typically because of reactions like this who will jump on anyone who does not agree.

I am still keeping the DX200 to try other pairings. Don't get me wrong, I still think it sounds good, just not the type of sound I am looking for, at least at this stage with my current iems.

I think his unit is either defective or the amp module isn't seated correctly as Paul mentioned. His unit is not behaving anywhere near normal and from my interpretation of what he wrote, it's more than just what his ears are hearing. I wasn't jumping on the guy, I was merely stating facts as I know them. Nothing more Mim. I don't think the DX200 is for everyone, never did. There are those who want a different sound and that's fine. My point of contention was that the DX90 is not in the same league as the DX200. It's the Yankee's playing against a farm team...and of course, there's going to be someone saying the farm team played better. Personally, I'm a fan of the entire DX line, especially the DX100, and the house sound has always been very appealing to me. However, I also acknowledge the fact that it's not for everyone. Going back to my initial point...I truly think he has a defective unit.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #5,647 of 22,021
I think his unit is either defective or the amp module isn't seated correctly as Paul mentioned. His unit is not behaving anywhere near normal and from my interpretation of what he wrote, it's more than just what his ears are hearing. I wasn't jumping on the guy, I was merely stating facts as I know them. Nothing more Mim. I don't think the DX200 is for everyone, never did. There are those who want a different sound and that's fine. My point of contention was that the DX90 is not in the same league as the DX200. It's the Yankee's playing against a farm team...and of course, there's going to be someone saying the farm team played better. Personally, I'm a fan of the entire DX line, especially the DX100, and the house sound has always been very appealing to me. However, I also acknowledge the fact that it's not for everyone. Going back to my initial point...I truly think he has a defective unit.
Fair enough.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #5,648 of 22,021
Anybody here pairing DX200 with portable amps?

May I know your insight for your amp pairing?

Looking to pair DX200 with IBasso PB3 for headphone balanced config using 2.5 TRRS.

Tried using the stock amp on DX200 but I still need more punch for my 300 Ohm headphone.

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #5,649 of 22,021

Looking to pair DX200 with IBasso PB3 for headphone balanced config using 2.5 TRRS.

Tried using the stock amp on DX200 but I still need more punch for my 300 Ohm headphone.

Thanks.

I sometimes pair with Lisa L3 for HD800.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #5,650 of 22,021

Thanks.

hi friend.

I am using DX200 + PB3 everyday. :)

it's great sound. wohoo!!

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #5,652 of 22,021
hi friend.

I am using DX200 + PB3 everyday. :)

it's great sound. wohoo!!

Wow this is what I am targeting for. Nice set up bro!

What heapdphone are you driving with PB3. I suppose this is a balanced config headphone correct?
Do you think PB3 is necessary to drive this headphone or DX200 alone gets the work done too?

How was it with PB3? Is it better sounding or dynamics gets really heard? How is the improvement?

Please tell us more as IBasso fans will be looking for this setup .... like me! ☺️and thank you for sharing!

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #5,653 of 22,021
Wow this is what I am targeting for. Nice set up bro!

What heapdphone are you driving with PB3. I suppose this is a balanced config headphone correct?
Do you think PB3 is necessary to drive this headphone or DX200 alone gets the work done too?

How was it with PB3? Is it better sounding or dynamics gets really heard? How is the improvement?

Please tell us more as IBasso fans will be looking for this setup .... like me! ☺️and thank you for sharing!

Thank you bluesnote :)

my headphone is Master&Dynamic MH40. and I arranged this headphone to balanced mode.

64audio A18 and this MH40 are both balanced to 2.5mm connector.

PB3 is not necessay on your DX200, but You need i think.
Because PB3's balanced power turns into an incredibly powerful one!!

Sound field more wide and deep.
The localization of the sound image is further improved.
And it comes to be wrapped in the sound shower as much as anything else.

It makes me feel like I'm listening to binaural recording music.
I can not live without this already! LOL.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #5,654 of 22,021
Thanks.

What headphone do you drive with Lisa L3 set up?

Do feel that DX200 alone can drive your headphone or it'll be more satisfying with external amp ?

Use with hd800. It is more pleasant with amp.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #5,655 of 22,021
Use with hd800. It is more pleasant with amp.

Thanks I am using a similar one, HD800S. And I tried HDVD800 lately and I am amazed that the sound potential is maximized using amp to be paired with our headphones. But I don't have the dough for this. Plus I need a portable one so I am planning to get PB3 for balanced out as well, thank you artpiggo. :grinning:

Thank you bluesnote :)

my headphone is Master&Dynamic MH40. and I arranged this headphone to balanced mode.

64audio A18 and this MH40 are both balanced to 2.5mm connector.

PB3 is not necessay on your DX200, but You need i think.
Because PB3's balanced power turns into an incredibly powerful one!!

Sound field more wide and deep.
The localization of the sound image is further improved.
And it comes to be wrapped in the sound shower as much as anything else.

It makes me feel like I'm listening to binaural recording music.
I can not live without this already! LOL.

Thanks KK-Android! Great set of gears you have there.

I appreciate your insight with this combination.

Looking forward to the same setup. I am using HD800s 300 Ohms , do you think PB3 can power this to its potential?

I tried HDVD800 lately and it is meant to be paired with HDVD800s and potential is maximized.

I am hoping that PB3 can power HD800s as well but the Information online says only 480mW not sure at which impedance this is rated.

again thank you guys :hugging:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back