DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 7, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #5,671 of 22,021
I reseated the amp module. Did it effect the brightness a little? Maybe. The sound from the unit is as though it is a 3 way speaker with poor driver integration. Like a cohesive but not particularly organic bass and mid crossed over to a ratty metal dome tweeter.

So I finally received a balanced cable. Wow. The thing can finally drive the Audeze Sine. The unbalanced out simply cannot. It is anemic and weak with that phone through that output. Now it shouts. Literally cutting volume from 150 to 100 territory. The cable isnt broken in, but the sound still is not very (if at all) organic.

It is now cooking. The DX90 still has an effortlessly organic sound - what I recognized and loved from the start. I suspect (know?) it uses completely different op amps in its output.

The Dx200 retrieves lots of detail. "Look at that detail over there" kind of sound. Unfortunately, that has absoultely nothing to do with music. The 90 has a cohesive organic fully formed rendition of the performer sort of sound.

The sort of sound that a guy who attends concerts of unamplified instruments and runs '42 NOS Sylvanias, WE 300Bs and '44 military VT4Cs in his home amps likes.

But that's not the sound of the 200 so far. It sounds like solid state inorganic hifi at the moment. I note the thread now reports amp module #2 is pending. I think thats a good thing, because my ears and suspicions tell me the amp in this thing is the weak link. I think amp module #2 should use the same op amps as the 90.

And if its not that, it must be the migration to the android environment.

That would be unfortunate.

I think there must be something wrong. I have the WM1Z and enjoy it and the DX200 and don't consider the 200 any less organic, just a little different. I listen to a lot or live music and that is my gauge. I can't stand a hifi type of sound so I know where you are coming from on that. I mostly use balanced for everything because I prefer it and everything from my PortaPro to the Utopia are balanced but even single ended on the DX200 I don't get the type of sound you describe. I use good aftermarket cable and Furutech Rhodium plugs. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #5,674 of 22,021
DX200 beats LG V20. Hands down. Be it in detail, soundstage, sound quality etc.

DX200 is a powerful dap ..at least on spec sheet.
But i needed something like parallel comparison on parameters like SQ ..characteristics ..etc ..all that one would see in a Proper Review

After all its not a battlefield ...so 'beating' kinda leaves everything to imagination ..lol

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #5,675 of 22,021
It will be really tough to compare by words. Take noe you are comparing a phone that act as a DAP to an actual DAP that is TOTL.

Best way is to audition both side by side my bro.

But i needed something like parallel comparison on parameters like SQ ..characteristics ..etc ..all that one would see in a Proper Review

After all its not a battlefield ...so 'beating' kinda leaves everything to imagination ..lol

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #5,676 of 22,021

DX200: Neutral(subjective), bass is very impactful and not boosted, slightly dry, analytical, quite easy to pick out details
The soundstage on single-ended is average, very wide on balanced though not as deep as let's say the LPG.
It highly depends on the synergy between iems and headphones. Some might be too dry a pairing.

Nonetheless, You could google out some reviews out there to help you on this :)

For V20, I tried them for like 5mins. V-shaped sounding and was very sibilant to my ears :frowning2:

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #5,677 of 22,021
I am still enjoying the iBasso DX200 well after the honeymoon and post review period.

My review has got well over 6000 views on Head-fi so there seems to be a lot of interest in it.

566f055120a5fa7e9dfefc251ea6d285.jpg

What IEMs are they?

Also that looks like FBI silver litz cable. I have a balanced one on order too for my 64Audio u8 :)

I also found a silver cable that I bought from Ted about 2 years ago. I was using it with an old pair of IEMs and forgot all about it. I replaced the stock cable on my U8s with the silver one and the difference is night and day. Wider soundstage, deeper bass etc. Kind of wish I hadn't tried this cable now and just waited until I recieve my new silver balanced one lol

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #5,678 of 22,021
What IEMs are they?

Also that looks like FBI silver litz cable. I have a balanced one on order too for my 64Audio u8 :)

I also found a silver cable that I bought from Ted about 2 years ago. I was using it with an old pair of IEMs and forgot all about it. I replaced the stock cable on my U8s with the silver one and the difference is night and day. Wider soundstage, deeper bass etc. Kind of wish I hadn't tried this cable now and just waited until I recieve my new silver balanced one lol

Andromeda

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #5,679 of 22,021
Apr 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #5,680 of 22,021
DX200: Neutral(subjective), bass is very impactful and not boosted, slightly dry, analytical, quite easy to pick out details
The soundstage on single-ended is average, very wide on balanced though not as deep as let's say the LPG.
It highly depends on the synergy between iems and headphones. Some might be too dry a pairing.

Nonetheless, You could google out some reviews out there to help you on this :)

For V20, I tried them for like 5mins. V-shaped sounding and was very sibilant to my ears :frowning2:

Thank you :smiley:
V20 indeed is bright , sibilant..not warm but extremely detailed VERY revealing
Much unlike the veiled warm sound that most people prefer.
And when left and right channel amp. is max it bwcomes V shaped...they are meant for Open back headphones..coz wider soundstage evens them out significantly
For IEM ..i keep those amplifications at zero..it becomes flat
:blush::blush:

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #5,682 of 22,021
Apr 7, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #5,683 of 22,021
seriously... can we just get a firmware update that will play album tracks in the correct order?... sometime soon? trying to listen to the new Arca record... kinda a concept album where tracks flow into each other. unfortunately, I can't listen to it as it was intended because the dx200 won't play the tracks in the correct sequence. annoying... x10.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #5,684 of 22,021
seriously... can we just get a firmware update that will play album tracks in the correct order?... sometime soon? trying to listen to the new Arca record... kinda a concept album where tracks flow into each other. unfortunately, I can't listen to it as it was intended because the dx200 won't play the tracks in the correct sequence. annoying... x10.

Use pure mode for now prior to their update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back