DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 11, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #5,131 of 22,021
Oh this is good to know. Sorry I didn't read through all 341 pages of posts, so I am sure I missed a lot of info. Thanks.
btw, do you all use Mango as the AP? or do you use some other software?
I also find the screen to be very insensitive. I have to press really hard to get it to respond.

Another question.
I am using the Shure KSE1500. I first tried using the Line Out from the DX200 into the Shure Amp, but the volume was very low even if I have Gain on High, and Volume on the Shure amp up all the way. It doesn't feel right to use Phone out and crank up the volume.... is this normal? 

Which firmware are you using? Latest beta FW is very responsive, but I believe one before, which I skipped, did make screen rather unresponsive. I have not changed the screen protector but do try to keep it nice and clean to help avoid any phantom swipes.
Line Out has an adjustable volume which is remembered separately from the phone out volume (which is great, I accidentally blasted my ears too many times on my DX90!). Make sure it is set to 150. I do not think the gain should have any effect on line out.
I use Mango OS rather than the Mango player on Android mainly because the album order is correct, although some people report they also hear the better sound quality. The UI is very responsive except for delay in swiping between screens horizontally, which Paul has said will soon be fixed in FW update. To change to Mango OS select it as option when powering off in Android mode.
Hope this helps.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #5,132 of 22,021

OK, just finished and published my DX200 review, HERE.  A long read, including lots of comparison to other flagship DAPs and pair-up analysis with a ton of iem/full size.  Will have it officially on head-fi next week once I have everything polished.

great review , as always
beerchug.gif

btw i want to ask something that caught my eye

you say when comparing sources

DX200 vs Micro iDSD – with iEMatch on Micro the hissing could be completely eliminated, but when it’s disabled – the hissing level is on par with DX200. Very similar soundstage expansion. Micro sounds a little brighter while DX is a touch smoother in comparison. In terms of detail retrieval, resolution, transparency, and sound layering they are very similar.

so , if i have idsd micro already i assume that getting dx200 (sound-wise only) would be reduntant ?

Micro iDSD is one great DAC/amp, but it's obviously not a portable DAP or a pocketable DAC/amp.  So, if you have DX80 (per your PM) and don't mind a transportable rather than "portable" setup, as well as don't care about streaming, DX200 vs DX80/Micro iDSD is indeed redundant.  I just did a quick test of DX200 vs DX80/MIcro iDSD and the same comparison holds true to my original assessment of DX200 vs Micro iDSD (w/laptop).  Btw, great pair up of DX80 with Micro iDSD (spdif, optical connection).

Also, got a number of comments with people asking me why no comparison of DX200 to AK380 or WM1Z.  I previewed both DAPs at CanJam NYC, but to have a proper comparison you need more than 10min of listening session in a crowded showroom.  I need a good 30-40min of listening in a quiet environment, volume matched and playing the same audio files, otherwise it will be just an anecdotal opinion.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #5,133 of 22,021
I experienced my first ghost swipes today after having the unit for almost 2 weeks with no problems.
Was testing some cables at CanJam when the ghost swipes kept ocurring till i gave up and used my AK380 instead for the test.
It was extremely irritating.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #5,134 of 22,021
I experienced my first ghost swipes today after having the unit for almost 2 weeks with no problems.
Was testing some cables at CanJam when the ghost swipes kept ocurring till i gave up and used my AK380 instead for the test.
It was extremely irritating.

Make sure to thoroughly clean the screen, not just wipe it but clean it.

I'm actually thinking that a decent tempered glass screen protector can mitigate these occasional problems.  I have been using DX200, almost daily, for 6-7 weeks and the only time I had this issue when I smudged the display with dirty hands.  Cleaned it with an eyeglass spray solution, and never happened again.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #5,135 of 22,021

I'm actually thinking that a decent tempered glass screen protector can mitigate these occasional problems.  I have been using DX200, almost daily, for 6-7 weeks and the only time I had this issue when I smudged the display with dirty hands.  Cleaned it with an eyeglass spray solution, and never happened again.

You found the dx200 to be technically better than the opus 2? :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #5,136 of 22,021

Yes, I did have the tempered screen ordered and should be expecting to have them early next week. Hopefully it does solve this problem.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #5,137 of 22,021
I am using the KSE1500 too. In a previous firmware, 1.3.xx, the line out of the DX200 is full volume and my KSE1500 volume at 8-9 is very loud for me. The new firmware 2.xx allows line out volume to be variable and hence you might want to crank up the volume of DX200 line out to max. One more thing, when at max volume of DX200, absolutely no hiss or statics was picked up by the KSE1500 without the need for delimiter to be set at -10db or -20db.

Cool! I am currently using v1.5.69, should I upgrade to the v2.0.78Beta?
What is the point of a Line out if vol isn't fixed?! 

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #5,138 of 22,021
Which firmware are you using? Latest beta FW is very responsive, but I believe one before, which I skipped, did make screen rather unresponsive. I have not changed the screen protector but do try to keep it nice and clean to help avoid any phantom swipes.
Line Out has an adjustable volume which is remembered separately from the phone out volume (which is great, I accidentally blasted my ears too many times on my DX90!). Make sure it is set to 150. I do not think the gain should have any effect on line out.
I use Mango OS rather than the Mango player on Android mainly because the album order is correct, although some people report they also hear the better sound quality. The UI is very responsive except for delay in swiping between screens horizontally, which Paul has said will soon be fixed in FW update. To change to Mango OS select it as option when powering off in Android mode.
Hope this helps.

Thanks. Right now I am on v1.5.69, should I upgrade to the v2.0.78Beta?
Hmmm no harm trying. Let me try now...

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5,140 of 22,021
So does anyone know what Line Out level correspond to -10dbV or +4dbU? 

No idea, sorry. I have always set it to max and don't get any noise or distortion on my Valhalla 2. But I did have to turn it down a bit when I used it in the car. Let me know if you find out something different and there is a better level to use. I am too non tech!

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #5,141 of 22,021

You found the dx200 to be technically better than the opus 2?
smily_headphones1.gif

Very similar, but DX200 is more neutral and a little brighter in comparison to Opus#2, which gives DX200 a perception of more transparency and airiness.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,143 of 22,021

Very similar, but DX200 is more neutral and a little brighter in comparison to Opus#2, which gives DX200 a perception of more transparency and airiness.

I was pretty impressed by the bass body and dynamic impact of the opus, does the dx200 do that as well?

After 300+ hrs I have on #2, the bass settled in, more neutral to my ears, though still has a little more impact than DX200.  As I mentioned in my review, DX200 has a more accurate rather than enhanced reproduction of the bass.  You gotta check out DX200 at Music Sanctuary, Calvin should have one on display.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #5,144 of 22,021
After 300+ hrs I have on #2, the bass settled in, more neutral to my ears, though still has a little more impact than DX200.  As I mentioned in my review, DX200 has a more accurate rather than enhanced reproduction of the bass.  You gotta check out DX200 at Music Sanctuary, Calvin should have one on display.

I shall my Friend :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #5,145 of 22,021
I seem to have a strange issue with the DX200. After its regular nightly burn-in session, using the supplied cable, it seems that I need to crank the volume higher to reach the same listening levels as before. I used to listen with the Vegas in the 30s, now I need to go to high 40s/low 50s, which would have been eardrum busting with the Vegas before. This is strange and I am wondering if the burn-in actually burned something? I also feel like the sound is missing dynamics compared to before. I am on balanced.
Does anyone have the Vegas on balanced? What volume do you use for regular listening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back