DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 17, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #303 of 22,021
Experts have confirmed they preference on the type of balanced jack is strongly correlated to personal dimensions in the nether regions.

Unfortunately, those very same experts failed to take into account that many of the devices under-endowed with inadequate 2.5mm TRRS balanced jacks actually happen to be purchased by a substantial proportion of customers who, themselves, apparently feel the need to compensate for inadequacies, by purchasing high-margin products in a vain attempt to 'Be the Best'

Perhaps it is one of life's sad ironies...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #304 of 22,021
I gotta admit, having 3.5mm TRRS would let down some people who has invested in cable but looking at those tiny connectors clinging to a small socket just doesn't make me feel comfortable especially as someone who has some background in engineering and not to mention the small number of L shaped jack for 2.5mm TRRS.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #305 of 22,021
On a serious note...

Since iBasso is proposing that the amp section be modular, then I see no reason why a balanced amplification module could not be created that has both:

1x 2.5mm TRRS

and

1x 3.5mm TRRS

alongside each other.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #306 of 22,021
  On a serious note...

Since iBasso is proposing that the amp section be modular, then I see no reason why a balanced amplification module could not be created that has both:

1x 2.5mm TRRS

and

1x 3.5mm TRRS

alongside each other.

Interesting. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #307 of 22,021
I find balanced to be a gimmick on DAPs and an annoying one at that, making you juggle with different cables.

There is no benefit in a balanced configuration on a DAP if you implement SE well, as the guys at chord explained very well on the Mojo thread. The only reason people think there is a true benefit is that on a given DAP, the balanced is sometimes better than the SE, often because the output power is superior. And on some DAPs, the balanced connection measured noticeably worse!

As far as I am concerned if you need to use the balanced out for a DAP to sound it's best, it means they are just withholding on the SE. My favorite portable sources, i.e. Lotoo Paw Gold and Mojo sound better than any AK DAP I have heard balanced.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #308 of 22,021
I'm not personally pushing for balanced.

All I'm saying is that if balanced is implemented (and it seems iBasso have decided that that is the case), then, under those circumstances, 2.5mm TRRS should probably not be the only connection offered, considering the absolute nightmare some people have experienced with 2.5mm. It's just too small to be robust and reliable, longterm.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #310 of 22,021
More those of us who had heard and compare a lot of gears, we won't see balanced output as priority. Nonetheless as a company competing in the DAP space full of AK type marketing propaganda for balanced output it will be hard for any makers to skip this on their flagship/top/serious/expensive model(s). To make things worst we are now seeing DAPs like the Onkyo DP-X1 where the SE output is so much worse than its Balanced output most who had little experience with balanced will just firmly believe balanced=performance. I had a hard time believe they cannot make their SE output just as good as the balanced out, but they just choose to implement it this way. I don't see iBasso had much choice but to follow suit.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #311 of 22,021
... I don't see iBasso had much choice but to follow suit.

I think you are right. There are a number of posts over the course of this thread requesting a balanced output so I think the wider market has fallen for this particular marketing gimmick hook, line, and sinker.

Personally, I wouldn't be so bothered if we got a decent connector to go with it, but I think that ship has sailed too.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #312 of 22,021
I doubt anybody that has heard and compared a lot of gears, would argue that the 901S is among the best daps - single ended. Yet it improves significantly balanced. The same is true of the Plenue S. 

The precision in soundstage, the more holographic and 3D imaging, is not 'a gimmick'. I let my friends that have zero audiophile experience listen to the difference, and they are mindblown. It's that obvious and easy to hear. I can't speak for the AK daps of course.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #313 of 22,021
All of this balanced vs non-balanced discussion seems moot, to me.

We are talking about a modular amp scenario, much like the HM901(s), in which case, everyone should quite easily be able to have what they prefer, with no penalty.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #314 of 22,021
Totally agreed with @flinkenick

Me also used to be a non-believer for balanced connection/scheme...tried a lot of balanced gear (AK lineup, Theorem, Alo RX mk3B, RSA RS71B, etc) never impressed me and sometimes i feel SE is better..

But when i tried HM901S balanced (with balanced amp card), its really shocked me right away...compared with its SE, the improvement is not subtle at all...

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #315 of 22,021
Nobody is suggesting that balanced can't be great. I have a balanced desktop setup and have ordered a DP-X1, so if the equipment designer chooses that route I'm reasonably happy to follow.

I believe it is becoming a marketing gimmick on some equipment however, and I am certainly not happy about having to use a 2.5mm TRRS connector. If balanced is supposed to be about quality then use a quality connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back