Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Mar 3, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #511 of 3,012
  Uhh, at $115, it's not that cheap. 

Haha, let's just say I'll take this over my $300 Westone 3s. My next purchase is the Fidue A83 to test against :). And that reminds me, a shout-out of thanks to Massdrop for pushing this down to $90. After hearing these now, I'd gladly pay the same price I did for the Westones. And this is pre-burn-in. 
L3000.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #513 of 3,012

I'd like to see DUNU set the Titan 1 price at $99 --- it's an aggressive price point that will appeal to a lot of people.

Yeah, a lot of people set their budget at $100, but keep in mind the crazy price/performance of the T1 already. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #514 of 3,012
  Uhh, at $115, it's not that cheap. 

They've been as low as $90, and for the SQ you get - they are amazing value for money

Definitions of cheap will vary - but I would consider them cheap.  It all depends on your disposable income.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #515 of 3,012

Haha, let's just say I'll take this over my $300 Westone 3s. My next purchase is the Fidue A83 to test against :). And that reminds me, a shout-out of thanks to Massdrop for pushing this down to $90. After hearing these now, I'd gladly pay the same price I did for the Westones. And this is pre-burn-in. 
L3000.gif

I don't know if its any major achievement, Titan give my SE535 a hard time. 

I do have a soft spot for the Shures still.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #517 of 3,012

For someone who owns an army of gear like you H20, your feedback on those two says a lot. The Titan does live up to its name. 
etysmile.gif

I think what's even scarier or questionable regarding Titan.

Both DN-1000 and DN-2000 (which I have here currently) hold that balanced armature timbre / sound, they're a fraction coloured in tone, and especially the 2000 to my ears is a little smooth, glossed over or forgiving when it comes to detail aggression. If the naturalness of a dynamic driver and timbre is something you prefer I could even understand someone taking Titan over both the hybrids models.

This actually happened to me the other night when I was juggling all three, I ended up staying with Titan, because it had more attack its mid-range compared to the smoother 1000 > 2000. But this was really a spontaneous thing that could change with genre or the my next listening session. Just some thoughts on having those 3 Dunu here atm.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #518 of 3,012
I think what's even scarier or questionable regarding Titan.

Both DN-1000 and DN-2000 (which I have here currently) hold that balanced armature timbre / sound, they're a fraction coloured in tone, and especially the 2000 to my ears is a little smooth, glossed over or forgiving when it comes to detail aggression. If the naturalness of a dynamic driver and timbre is something you prefer I could even understand someone taking Titan over both the hybrids models.

This actually happened to me the other night when I was juggling all three, I ended up staying with Titan, because it had more attack its mid-range compared to the smoother 1000 > 2000. But this was really a spontaneous thing that could change with genre or the my next listening session. Just some thoughts on having those 3 Dunu here atm.

Sweet! Can't wait to get my dirty mitts on the 2kJ's which, from reading its thread and Tom's impressions, should compliment the T1s well. And of course, thanks to you, the A83s are in my crosshairs.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #519 of 3,012
Awesome writeup, thanks! :smile_phones:

I usually don't have a problem with a mild v-shape (to the contrary, I actually like how it creates a sense of distance), but with the Titans I too feel some of the emotional disconnection you describe. Strange... technically, I can't really fault them, yet they don't quite move me like some other phones do.

Btw, I've sent my Titans (+ e-Q8 and Heaven VII) @shotgunshane
, so we'll probably get the verdict of one of the most treble-sensitive guys on the forum soon. :wink:

I like to think of it as treble-picky; perhaps a connoisseur treblenaire. :p

Looks like they'll be in house perhaps by Thursday.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #521 of 3,012
I first thought that the Titans were a bit much in the treble for my tastes, but after about a hundred hours of use and many tip changes, my opinion has changed. I now find it to be tonally well-balanced. Tip rolling makes more difference with the Titans than any other IEM I have owned. They scale up very well with source improvements, something that not all inexpensive phones do. In my experience, better sources usually magnify any shortcomings in the phones, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Titans.

With my current tips, they sound much like my (now-sold) Dita Answer only without the treble peaks. Pretty impressive performance for a phone in this price category!

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #522 of 3,012
I first thought that the Titans were a bit much in the treble for my tastes, but after about a hundred hours of use and many tip changes, my opinion has changed. I now find it to be tonally well-balanced. Tip rolling makes more difference with the Titans than any other IEM I have owned. They scale up very well with source improvements, something that not all inexpensive phones do. In my experience, better sources usually magnify any shortcomings in the phones, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Titans.

With my current tips, they sound much like my (now-sold) Dita Answer only without the treble peaks. Pretty impressive performance for a phone in this price category!

+1, I also thought they were tipped too much to the treble and light on the bass. Triple Flanges improved the sound, Comply TX200s made it sublime! Wonderful, fast, tuneful bass, extended but smooth highs, a really, really great modestly priced IEM.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #523 of 3,012

Awesome. I'm glad I'm not insane for liking these so much. Or, I'm just glad we're all insane in this together lol

+1, I also thought they were tipped too much to the treble and light on the bass. Triple Flanges improved the sound, Comply TX200s made it sublime! Wonderful, fast, tuneful bass, extended but smooth highs, a really, really great modestly priced IEM.

I'm very happy with the red core stock tips, but I have some Comply tx500's. I don't know if they will fit, but I'll maybe try the mod that was mentioned in here and try them out.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #524 of 3,012

which tips are you using :blush:

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #525 of 3,012
Awesome. I'm glad I'm not insane for liking these so much. Or, I'm just glad we're all insane in this together lol

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:My vote is for group insanity:flushed:!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back