Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Apr 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,686 of 3,012
  Got to this thread after seeing the Titan 1 in the top IEM list.

Finally ready to try them out. How would they compare against my RE400/600? And what exactly is the difference with the 1ES model that is selling for cheaper?

The Fiio EX1s (which are just rebranded Dunu Tinan1s... and at half the rpice) and the re400s are nothing alike. IMO the EX1s are WAAAYYY more fun.

If you are looking for a similar sound to the re400s... I wouldn't bother. The re400s are accurate, great resolution, pretty neutral... but poor bass. The EX1s are warm, U shaped, HUGE HUGE soundstage, more musical. The Ex1s have a decent level of resolution too, but the mids are held a little further back and blend a bit with the bass, that is not to say you won't hear them. Both will allow you to pick out things in music you never have, but different things with both. The ex1s massive sound stage does great with groups like Queen, Beatles, ELO, Beach Boys as the harmonies are ridiculously good... they jump about all over your head and beyond. in fact anything with wide stereo sounding songs or music will be a joy.

I enjoyed the re400s but they got boring after a while. Their accuracy is second to none at it's price point, so if you wish to hear songs a la the studio stick with them. If you want a bit of life in songs choose the Titans/ex1s.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,687 of 3,012
Again, just in case you are unsure... the Fiio Ex1s are the exact same earphones as the Titan 1s. I bought both to compare, only some aesthetics have changed... the sound is the exact same.

Dunu titan 1s - £90

Fiio EX1 - £50

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,688 of 3,012
  Damn these Titans!

They have simply spoiled me.  I am trying to find an on-ear headphone that I can use at work, but nothing touches the sound of the Titans.  

There are times I would like more isolation, and I will admit there are times I would like more bass quantity (though it seems that often comes with some lack of quality).  I guess I'll just have to accept that I am not going to find anything that matches the wonderful Titan 1, I am truly in love with them.  Actually thinking I better order another pair to have a backup if the pair I have fail :)

I'm in a similar boat, i love the sound that much that everything else sounds boring. I'm desperately trying to find a full size headphone (on ear or over ear, open back or closed) that can get close to a similar sound.

I'm currently looking at Dt990, Creative A Live!, the V-MODA XS and Philips Fidelio L1.

Anyone that can help, much appreciated. I'm aware there are massive differences between in ear and full size.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,689 of 3,012
I'm in a similar boat, i love the sound that much that everything else sounds boring. I'm desperately trying to find a full size headphone (on ear or over ear, open back or closed) that can get close to a similar sound.

I'm currently looking at Dt990, Creative A Live!, the V-MODA XS and Philips Fidelio L1.

Anyone that can help, much appreciated. I'm aware there are massive differences between in ear and full size.

you can write off the xs, it had somewhat of a loose bass that i thought was quite disappointing.

midrange was a lot more forward, and filler, and the treble was a bit fuzzy

soundstage was nice though, and its portability is fantastic, and i personally like the design a lot

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,690 of 3,012
I had a pair of Berydynamics T90 briefly, hopping that what people described as "bright" might give me the sound signature I love so much with the Titan's. They did not! They were bright, but vocals were waaaay in the background compared to the Titan's. I also listened to the Beyer DT1350, but they didn't do it for me either.

My full size cans are Soundmagic HP150, which I also love, but they do NOT sound like the Titan's. Being a closed set, they have much more bass quantity, and I don't think it is boomy or fuzzy, but still not as clean and clear as the Titan's. I do think they do a good job with keeping vocals out in front as I like them.

Please keep us posted if you find something!

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #2,692 of 3,012

If you are looking for a similar sound to the re400s... I wouldn't bother. The re400s are accurate, great resolution, pretty neutral... but poor bass. 
I enjoyed the re400s but they got boring after a while. Their accuracy is second to none at it's price point, so if you wish to hear songs a la the studio stick with them. If you want a bit of life in songs choose the Titans/ex1s.

I actually realized I don't *necessarily* enjoy super neutral because it sounds like a studio, but more because I like my mids so much, and I have very sensible ears, too much bass or too much trebles is irrating.

Did you try the RE600 ? I know they are overpriced, but they add just the perfect amount of bass to the RE400. I just don't listen to the RE400 anymore.

But alas, since I am an headfier, I will soon probably buy the Dunu just to compare anyway :D

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2,693 of 3,012

I actually realized I don't *necessarily* enjoy super neutral because it sounds like a studio, but more because I like my mids so much, and I have very sensible ears, too much bass or too much trebles is irrating.

Did you try the RE600 ? I know they are overpriced, but they add just the perfect amount of bass to the RE400. I just don't listen to the RE400 anymore.

But alas, since I am an headfier, I will soon probably buy the Dunu just to compare anyway :D

Hi, nah once I heard the Titans I knew the neutral sound was boring to me. Funnily enough, before I bought them I did a lot of reading on the re 600.

If you are interested in the Titans you should buy the Fiio Ex1. Fiio rebranded the Titan 1s to sell as there own. Apart from some very subtle cosmetic changes it is the EXACT SAME sound. I've compared both and sent Dunu's back. Why? Cos the Fiio's are nearly half the price.

Titan 1 - £90+

Fiio EX1 - £50

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,695 of 3,012
[COLOR=111111]I don't have the volume for these headphones and I'm thinking about buying this amplifier![/COLOR]

Pardon, what amp?

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,696 of 3,012
Just was able to listen to the Titan 3 and 5 for 2 weeks and it was a fantastic listen. Technically better than the Titan 1 in terms of clarity and dynamics with a better treble and bass as well as mids. The difference between the 3 and 5 are it's tuning, the Titan 3 is a very controlled IEM whereas the 5 has more bass/mids and a little rolloff on the highs. The 5s also have ever so slightly less clarity due to it's more dynamic tuning, although not by much from the 3. The Titan 3 is if you want absolute clarity and a very controlled bass, tradeoff is it's not as versatile as poorly recorded albums do not sound as good. However if you have a warm source such as most cell phones or perhaps your other mobile devices (laptop, table, dap) are tuned for warmth then the Titan 3 can fit this a bit better.

If you enjoy bass with great clarity, definitely go with 5s. It's not a basshead phone nor is it even close but it definitely has more weight to the bottom end, giving it more versatility. Can the Titan 3s have enough clarity to warrant it's tuning? Most definitely. While not the speed of BA, it's very close and sounds well rounded/cohesive over BAs. The bass can also reach deep and tight. If you're planning on mostly listening to jazz, classical, acoustic, and the likes then the 3 might better suit your need for every bit of clarity/speed. For everything else including those genres I mentioned for the 3s, the 5s can do it all.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,697 of 3,012
  Just was able to listen to the Titan 3 and 5 for 2 weeks and it was a fantastic listen. Technically better than the Titan 1 in terms of clarity and dynamics with a better treble and bass as well as mids. The difference between the 3 and 5 are it's tuning, the Titan 3 is a very controlled IEM whereas the 5 has more bass/mids and a little rolloff on the highs. The 5s also have ever so slightly less clarity due to it's more dynamic tuning, although not by much from the 3. The Titan 3 is if you want absolute clarity and a very controlled bass, tradeoff is it's not as versatile as poorly recorded albums do not sound as good. However if you have a warm source such as most cell phones or perhaps your other mobile devices (laptop, table, dap) are tuned for warmth then the Titan 3 can fit this a bit better.

If you enjoy bass with great clarity, definitely go with 5s. It's not a basshead phone nor is it even close but it definitely has more weight to the bottom end, giving it more versatility. Can the Titan 3s have enough clarity to warrant it's tuning? Most definitely. While not the speed of BA, it's very close and sounds well rounded/cohesive over BAs. The bass can also reach deep and tight. If you're planning on mostly listening to jazz, classical, acoustic, and the likes then the 3 might better suit your need for every bit of clarity/speed. For everything else including those genres I mentioned for the 3s, the 5s can do it all.

I wanted to add to this. Got me own set of Dunu Titan 5s today, and testing it with different tips the bass really projects with the stock red barreled silicone tips and makes these iems very fun yet still keeping excellent clarity across the board. Quite amazing. My impressions above were exclusively using Spinfits, which to me makes the Titan 5s extremely versatile for all genres. They're a bit sibilant for the Titan 3s which makes me think the tuning there is fantastic with the stock tips (I didn't get to try unfortunately).  So with that said, get yourselves some Spinfits if you have the Titan 5s and listen to all kinds of genres. (as well as the EX1 and Titan 1s) 

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #2,698 of 3,012

I wanted to add to this. Got me own set of Dunu Titan 5s today, and testing it with different tips the bass really projects with the stock red barreled silicone tips and makes these iems very fun yet still keeping excellent clarity across the board. Quite amazing. My impressions above were exclusively using Spinfits, which to me makes the Titan 5s extremely versatile for all genres. They're a bit sibilant for the Titan 3s which makes me think the tuning there is fantastic with the stock tips (I didn't get to try unfortunately).  So with that said, get yourselves some Spinfits if you have the Titan 5s and listen to all kinds of genres. (as well as the EX1 and Titan 1s) 

very different from the dunu titan 1 dunu titan 5? I liked my dunu titan 1 on my zx1 but they lacked volume!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back