DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #541 of 878
After being away from home for 10 days, and having only the Erlkonig with me, I must say the first thing I listened to was the Luna and it didn't disappoint. DUNU did such a wonderful job with these. Honestly, considering I have so many IEM's that is lofty praise.

20200717_080559.jpg

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #542 of 878
After being away from home for 10 days, and having only the Erlkonig with me, I must say the first thing I listened to was the Luna and it didn't disappoint. DUNU did such a wonderful job with these. Honestly, considering I have so many IEM's that is lofty praise.

20200717_080559.jpg
Those two are my dream combo! Does Erlky complement the Luna? Luna does so much of the things right, so would really be nice to know if Erlky, with its price point, does things that Luna doesnt?

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #543 of 878
Those two are my dream combo! Does Erlky complement the Luna? Luna does so much of the things right, so would really be nice to know if Erlky, with its price point, does things that Luna doesnt?
Erlkonig is the King of the BA's. The signature is voluminous.The mids are possibly the best I have heard. You have 4 tuning settings to choose from, most appear to prefer setting 2 or 3. If I didn't review, I could be super happy with these two.

Understand, I have a difficult time saying anything is worth 4K, value is an individual thing and I don't wish to spend your money. If you want to jump right to the top I feel that you could with these two. As I always say, do not make your decision solely on what I say. Everything about this hobby and reviewing is subjective and therefore, opinion. Are there other BA's I could recommend, yes. These are at the top of the food chain, in many different ways, price being one, and tunability being another.

I want to say, if something is/was TOTL doesn't mean it is not longer TOTL when the latest and greatest hits the scene. It will still be TOTL, Layla, as an example. As my signature says, "When listening to TOTL none of it sucks, it all comes down to finding a signature that checks your boxes"

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #544 of 878
Erlkonig is the King of the BA's. The signature is voluminous.The mids are possibly the best I have heard. You have 4 tuning settings to choose from, most appear to prefer setting 2 or 3. If I didn't review, I could be super happy with these two.

Understand, I have a difficult time saying anything is worth 4K, value is an individual thing and I don't wish to spend your money. If you want to jump right to the top I feel that you could with these two. As I always say, do not make your decision solely on what I say. Everything about this hobby and reviewing is subjective and therefore, opinion. Are there other BA's I could recommend, yes. These are at the top of the food chain, in many different ways, price being one, and tunability being another.

I want to say, if something is/was TOTL doesn't mean it is not longer TOTL when the latest and greatest hits the scene. It will still be TOTL, Layla, as an example. As my signature says, "When listening to TOTL none of it sucks, it all comes down to finding a signature that checks your boxes"
Thanks for this, quite helps! I had few iems and got rid of them and kept Luna but I now I want to get a TOTL that will complement Luna, and price is not an issue as long as the sound is justified, sort of!!

For me, 2 top iems is good enough, collecting iems is not my thing, that's something I have learned. Although I am also contemplating ditching a second iem, and get a TOTL HP for home, and Luna for portability.

I have my eyes on Odin too, let's see how it pans out!

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #545 of 878
Thanks for this, quite helps! I had few iems and got rid of them and kept Luna but I now I want to get a TOTL that will complement Luna, and price is not an issue as long as the sound is justified, sort of!!

For me, 2 top iems is good enough, collecting iems is not my thing, that's something I have learned. Although I am also contemplating ditching a second iem, and get a TOTL HP for home, and Luna for portability.

I will let you know about Odin

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #547 of 878

To what Subguy said I would add that the ERLK provides a better timbre in its presentation. You will hear it quickly. In setting 2 its bass is also stronger and tighter than the Luna with great detail. I prefer its mids as well. I also feel it is more accurate than the Luna based on my comparisons to my home system. The Luna is great, the ERLK is better. And yes I do feel they can complement one another. The Luna has one quality the ERLK does not have. On a recording where the female voice can be a bit sibilant, the Luna can smooth that out where the ERLK will not. Sometimes you might want that, and that is why I feel the Luna makes a great complimentary IEM. And everything else it does is not too shabby either. Other reviewers are mentioning this as well, which is good to read. Tks.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #548 of 878

I think comfort is also a major factor but that may be personal. For example I have tiny ears and I don’t know manyTOTL that would fit my ears (Almost every shell causes discomfort in outer ear). As a matter of fact beside the Luna, Xelento and EAH-Tz700, I know of not a single IEM with a tiny shell that could be considered TOTL sonically(Multi BA are almost always too big as soon as they use more than 3 BA). If anyone has any ideas, always feel free to drop me a recommendation but for now I’m sticking with the Luna :)

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #549 of 878
I think comfort is also a major factor but that may be personal. For example I have tiny ears and I don’t know manyTOTL that would fit my ears (Almost every shell causes discomfort in outer ear). As a matter of fact beside the Luna, Xelento and EAH-Tz700, I know of not a single IEM with a tiny shell that could be considered TOTL sonically(Multi BA are almost always too big as soon as they use more than 3 BA). If anyone has any ideas, always feel free to drop me a recommendation but for now I’m sticking with the Luna :)
I agree that the Erlkonig would give you fit issues. The Luna is tiny and a powerhouse, what's not to love.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #550 of 878
Well, the Luna is my most comfortable Universal IEM. If fit is an issue, stop at the Luna, be very happy and save $$. You could get a better DAP, cables, home set up. I have found the ERLK to be comfortable using the Spinfit CP145's in size M. But it is not as comfortable as the Luna to me using the AZLA SednaEarFitLight Shorts in size ML. These tips will not even fit the ERLK. Tks.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #551 of 878
DUNU Luna and Blanche solid silver cable arrived today. Even with less than two hours of listening, Luna has surprised and delighted me and is indeed an excellent complement to the IER Z1R. Through the lens of the DMP Z1, the DUNU Luna manages to walk the fine line of conveying detail without delivering fatigue. It's going to take a lot more listening to become familiar with the Luna, but I can't wait for the time ahead.

IMG_1890.jpg
Nice picture. For those who have the Luna, the Blanche is a must IMO. Pairs so well with the Luna!

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #552 of 878
DUNU Luna and Blanche solid silver cable arrived today. Even with less than two hours of listening, Luna has surprised and delighted me and is indeed an excellent complement to the IER Z1R. Through the lens of the DMP Z1, the DUNU Luna manages to walk the fine line of conveying detail without delivering fatigue. It's going to take a lot more listening to become familiar with the Luna, but I can't wait for the time ahead.

IMG_1890.jpg
I must say that picture pushed me over the edge to order the Blanche to go with my Luna. I am not sure my wallet thanks you :)

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #553 of 878
Thanks guys for the kind words! The comfort of the Luna is unrivaled, especially in the flagship segment. DUNU took into consideration every aspect, not just the sound. The sound is the very best experience I've had with a 'neutral' tuned gear. Using the red small Spinfits.

After switching between the IER Z1R and Luna, I've noticed the different approaches towards sound. DUNU went for a speaker like sound, neutral (with touch of warmth) but not fatiguing. It sounds so effortless and the bass is just right. The Luna's just disappear in my ear and I forget I'm wearing them. That hasn't happened with any in ear I've ever used (even the Shure SE846). For those who are unsure whether a single dynamic driver earphone is worth the price tag, try the Luna. This is a stellar example of top notch ergonomics and flagship sound quality.
The IER on the other hand, sounds like a hard core planar. Whether Sony intended to or not, the Z1R reminds me of my LCDi4 (Cipher) with more rumble and higher high's (does that make sense lol). Colored, full of adrenaline and you will not forget you're listening to Z1R's. The highs on the Z1R can make you uncomfortable at times. The lows can shake your bones. It's remarkable what Sony has done with 2 DD/Balanced armature hybrid.

Both companies are pushing the form factor (hybrid or single DD) to their limit. Sony's performance comes at a cost of ergonomics and at times the treble can be too sharp. DUNU Luna brings the sound back to the neutral domain, but makes it enjoyable. It's remarkable what both companies have accomplished.

Given the COVID situation, blind buying is the only way some of us can do things. Blind buying is generally a no-no, but the DUNU Luna can be the exception.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #554 of 878
Thanks guys for the kind words! The comfort of the Luna is unrivaled, especially in the flagship segment. DUNU took into consideration every aspect, not just the sound. The sound is the very best experience I've had with a 'neutral' tuned gear. Using the red small Spinfits.

After switching between the IER Z1R and Luna, I've noticed the different approaches towards sound. DUNU went for a speaker like sound, neutral (with touch of warmth) but not fatiguing. It sounds so effortless and the bass is just right. The Luna's just disappear in my ear and I forget I'm wearing them. That hasn't happened with any in ear I've ever used (even the Shure SE846). For those who are unsure whether a single dynamic driver earphone is worth the price tag, try the Luna. This is a stellar example of top notch ergonomics and flagship sound quality.
The IER on the other hand, sounds like a hard core planar. Whether Sony intended to or not, the Z1R reminds me of my LCDi4 (Cipher) with more rumble and higher high's (does that make sense lol). Colored, full of adrenaline and you will not forget you're listening to Z1R's. The highs on the Z1R can make you uncomfortable at times. The lows can shake your bones. It's remarkable what Sony has done with 2 DD/Balanced armature hybrid.

Both companies are pushing the form factor (hybrid or single DD) to their limit. Sony's performance comes at a cost of ergonomics and at times the treble can be too sharp. DUNU Luna brings the sound back to the neutral domain, but makes it enjoyable. It's remarkable what both companies have accomplished.

Given the COVID situation, blind buying is the only way some of us can do things. Blind buying is generally a no-no, but the DUNU Luna can be the exception.
Happy to hear you like them! Tks.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #555 of 878

@kp297 Thanks for this comparison. I can see how the Luna is a great compliment to the Z1R. I'm a bit sad I cannot afford to have both. But, I'm very happy with my DUNU Luna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back