DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 23, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #571 of 878
I just received my Luna, the accessory pack is crazy! The tour unit that I listened to didn’t come with all the accessories. Anyway, I’m a happy guy! 😂

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #572 of 878
I just received my Luna, the accessory pack is crazy! The tour unit that I listened to didn’t come with all the accessories. Anyway, I’m a happy guy! 😂
The Luna has without a doubt the best unboxing experience to date, in a class of its own. The accessories are abundant. Amazing product and the unboxing experience just put its closest rival to shame as the A8000 uses almost the same if not the same packaging as the B series IEMs, which clearly shows lack of effort for a statement flagship product. Enjoy the Luna! :)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #573 of 878
Hi all. I just posted my review of the LE ERLKONG vs the Thummim and the Dunu Luna as was requested a week or two ago on another thread. I decided to place my comparison as a review as it was a bit long. Hopefully it will not be perceived as the worst formatted review in the history of head-fi! Anyway, I hope my impressions are of some value, and I did post the same review under each of the 3 IEM.s The URL for it in the Luna's Review Space is below:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#item-review-24019

Thank you.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #574 of 878
Hi all. I just posted my review of the LE ERLKONG vs the Thummim and the Dunu Luna as was requested a week or two ago on another thread. I decided to place my comparison as a review as it was a bit long. Hopefully it will not be perceived as the worst formatted review in the history of head-fi! Anyway, I hope my impressions are of some value, and I did post the same review under each of the 3 IEM.s The URL for it in the Luna's Review Space is below:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-luna.24311/reviews#item-review-24019

Thank you.
Thanks @Frankie D , exactly what I asked for! :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #575 of 878
The new Luna I received sounds different than the tour unit, I suppose burn-in will resolve this. Any suggestions as to the number of hours?

Since I’m new to the Luna, were there any running changes made since its release back in December?

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #576 of 878
The new Luna I received sounds different than the tour unit, I suppose burn-in will resolve this. Any suggestions as to the number of hours?

Since I’m new to the Luna, were there any running changes made since its release back in December?
At one point Dunu was saying 200 hours. If I remember correctly they lowered it to at least 50. You are probably not getting enough bass yet. Tks.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #577 of 878

Can't say that for my pair (blue = tour unit, purple = new unit, no burn-in). Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised by their consistency.

VbMlIZB.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #578 of 878
Our recommendation for burn-in is to ensure the mechanical stability of the entire driver system, as it does have more glue-bonded contact points at mechanically-critical areas of the transducer. The adhesives we use are designed to be stable and should not affect the sound, but we want to be safe and thus recommend the 200 hour time for burn-in. We feel that any possible changes should be settled by that window of time. However, we do not make any claims to any measurable or audible change. There may very well not be any.

@jwbrent Let's keep in touch on what you're hearing in terms of audible differences. There may just be a quick fix.

Stock here as well and I’m perfectly happy with it :)
Although I have found that the right side of my MMCX connector now swivels a lot more than it used to when it arrived. I wonder if that’s normal? The left side is still pretty darn stiff and doesn’t move at all :)

This is a natural evolution of the friction-based coupling mechanism of the MMCX connector. Eventually, the left side will start rotating like the right side --- it is merely a matter of time.

Our Catch-Hold MMCX female seats are designed such that the coupling is much tighter and less swively than the standard MMCX female end, but in the end it is still an universally-compatible MMCX interface and will be susceptible to loosening and other issues typical to MMCX connectors.

As long as you're not getting issues related to intermittent signal, it should be fine. We recommend that you not swap cables too often, as most MMCX connectors have a low cycle life before they inevitably start having signal problems. In fact, we developed our Quick-Switch modular plug system specifically to minimize these problems!

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Jul 25, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #579 of 878
Can't say that for my pair (blue = tour unit, purple = new unit, no burn-in). Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised by their consistency.

VbMlIZB.jpg

I’ve always wondered whether burn-in can be measured on a graph due to the subtlety of the change. Have you, @james444, ever measured such an effect? It kind of reminds me of your experience with the FD-01 and the different metal nozzles, a perceived difference between the different metal types but no corresponding measurements when you graphed each nozzle.

The new Luna has a glare in the upper frequencies that was not present in the tour unit. I noted in my review of the tour unit I felt the trebles were sometimes soft sounding, but that is definitely not the case with the new Luna. I’m going to cook the Luna over the next week 24/7, so I’ll report back my observations.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #580 of 878
I’ve always wondered whether burn-in can be measured on a graph due to the subtlety of the change. Have you, @james444, ever measured such an effect? It kind of reminds me of your experience with the FD-01 and the different metal nozzles, a perceived difference between the different metal types but no corresponding measurements when you graphed each nozzle.

Actually, I've made a habit of measuring newly acquired IEMs repeatedly, in order to reveal such potential "burn-in" changes. But unfortunately, with the new Luna, I've been so excited that I forgot to perform the standard procedure and went straight to listening. :frowning2:

Not wanting to derail this thread, but what I've been able to reveal through measurements are only very slight changes in frequency response, and only during the first minute of use.

Here's one random example:
  1. brand-new out of box = red graph
  2. after 1 minute of playing pink noise @120db = yellow graph
  3. after 5 minutes of playing pink noise @120db = green graph
  4. after 60 minutes of playing pink noise @120db = blue graph
wReOyPP.jpg

Zoomed in on upper mids and treble region:

WacFCdl.jpg

Yellow, green and blue graphs are pretty much identical. And so far, my experiments with several DD IEMs have all turned out like this: small changes during the first minute of use. And from that point on, no further changes.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #581 of 878
Actually, I've made a habit of measuring newly acquired IEMs repeatedly, in order to reveal such potential "burn-in" changes. But unfortunately, with the new Luna, I've been so excited that I forgot to perform the standard procedure and went straight to listening. :frowning2:

Not wanting to derail this thread, but what I've been able to reveal through measurements are only very slight changes in frequency response, and only during the first minute of use.

Here's one random example:
  1. brand-new out of box = red graph
  2. after 1 minute of playing pink noise @120db = yellow graph
  3. after 5 minutes of playing pink noise @120db = green graph
  4. after 60 minutes of playing pink noise @120db = blue graph
wReOyPP.jpg

Zoomed in on upper mids and treble region:

WacFCdl.jpg

Yellow, green and blue graphs are pretty much identical. And so far, my experiments with several DD IEMs have all turned out like this: small changes during the first minute of use. And from that point on, no further changes.
Interesting. Can you do it at 70db? I am curious if the volume makes any difference. But I do agree with you. For me it has always been finding the right ear tips or cable that made the difference. But, I always follow the manufacture’s recommendation. Tks.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #583 of 878
AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC Tip - on Luna Works best for me.

EC78DB18-F560-4D61-86FB-7BF07430B739.jpeg
2034D374-2055-4C1D-95CF-51FB8323282A.jpeg

I wear an ML final e series or spiral dot, do the sizes fall in line with other makers?

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #584 of 878
I wear an ML final e series or spiral dot, do the sizes fall in line with other makers?
They do, however a number of members, myself included, have found that one size down works best. I am talking one size down from Azla Sedna tips meaning if size ML worked with the SednaEarFitLightShorts for example, them M would be best in the Xelastec. I feel this is the case because they are much stickier. I ended up preferring the light shorts, but the Xelastec will also fit larger shafts that the light shorts will not. Tks.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #585 of 878
They do, however a number of members, myself included, have found that one size down works best. I am talking one size down from Azla Sedna tips meaning if size ML worked with the SednaEarFitLightShorts for example, them M would be best in the Xelastec. I feel this is the case because they are much stickier. I ended up preferring the light shorts, but the Xelastec will also fit larger shafts that the light shorts will not. Tks.

ok, thank you for your feedback, I’ll get a set of Mediums to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back