DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Jul 29, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #601 of 878
Wasn't gonna comment, but to be fair, it's just another opinion. People shouldn't be put on blast for having one.

I actually have the Luna on demo right now, and I'm not too fond of it either. The treble is not recessed to my ears, but it does have a distinctive, metallic edge that really grates. The midrange is also tuned, well, wonkily to say the least. The Luna certainly has its merits, but the general tuning is not one of them for me.

Before the pitchforks come out, I'm currently running the Spinfit CP145 with a good seal. They're definitely quite comfortable for my smaller ears. Still, I'll definitely be tip swapping some. The Luna seems quite dependent on that, and the gentleman who sent me the Dunu line-up mentioned this as well.
It is super dependent. The metallic edge is indicative of stock tips. Hopefully, in the future DUNU will include the tips that present the best quality. No pitchforks and I dont think he was put on blast. I was merely saying I have had this unit since Day 1 and have encountered what he is describing and saw another thread elsewhere highlighting the same. If you read the link to the thread I posted and the quotation from my write-up referencing this you will understand what I am talking about. It is not about his review it is about the "issue" he didn't know he had in his review. Below is a link to a write-up I completed, you may find it helpful;

https://audiorabbithole.com/dunu-ramblings/

If the Luna isn't your signature that is totally understandable. I have no skin in their game or anyone's for that matter. My Luna was paid for and not a review sample, frankly it is one of many in my collection.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #602 of 878
Wasn't gonna comment, but to be fair, it's just another opinion. People shouldn't be put on blast for having one.

I actually have the Luna on demo right now, and I'm not too fond of it either. The treble is not recessed to my ears, but it does have a distinctive, metallic edge that really grates. The midrange is also tuned, well, wonkily to say the least. The Luna certainly has its merits, but the general tuning is not one of them for me.

Before the pitchforks come out, I'm currently running the Spinfit CP145 with a good seal. They're definitely quite comfortable for my smaller ears. Still, I'll definitely be tip swapping some. The Luna seems quite dependent on that, and the gentleman who sent me the Dunu line-up mentioned this as well.
I bought my Luna and when I initially got it I was like “why did I like this at the show.” Then I let it burn in (no idea if that helped) and also tried many different tips and the AzlaSednaEarFitLightShorts were recommended to me. Once I tried them, The sound locked in. Subguy did a nice post on this per his response. That might help. Hopefully the same will occur for you. Tks.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #603 of 878
I just received my SednaEarfit XELASTEC eartips for my Luna and out of the box, the fit and comfort are great. I have been using the Spinfit CP240 dual flange but these fit and seal even better with just a single flange compared to the dual of the CP240s. On my initial listening right now, I think it will be hard to consider other tips. They take away the issue with the short stem of the Luna as they seal so well.

I would recommend others try these. They have numerous sizes as well. For example I went with the MS which is the blend of the medium / small as I have been going between a small and a medium for the Spinfit CP240s.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #604 of 878
Look what also showed up today!

IMG_20200731_114317.jpg

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #607 of 878
The Blanche is so darn supple and it’s very, very nice. Some quick pics of mine:

For anyone that missed it, I posted some pics of the Luna with the Blanche cable in my new setup. (From the DUNU Quick-Switch Modular Plug Cables - Discussion Thread)

I’m realllyy, realllyyy enjoying the above combo. Highly recommend this amp too.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #608 of 878
@physio - nice pics! I need to get the 2 pin version eventually as well.

The Blanche is so darn supple and it’s very, very nice.

Some quick pics of mine:

6D77FEF9-6937-492D-8C44-BEA7CF7E25D6.jpeg
257AA7E3-E57D-41E1-9C0B-60AD8C352AD2.jpeg5F43A2E4-5A68-4607-8688-C090478EB3BF.jpeg2795D512-D2D2-42C9-8F0F-72D861557A9A.jpeg
Got a pair of Azla Xelastec tips.
First impressions are pretty good in the ear. I did find it a bit more difficult to insert them because they are that sticky.
Once they are in, they are pretty awesome though.

With their stickiness, you need to be sure they come out when you remove the Luna. I have had mine stick in my ear twice already when I took the Luna out 😀😀

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #610 of 878
For anyone that missed it, I posted some pics of the Luna with the Blanche cable in my new setup. (From the DUNU Quick-Switch Modular Plug Cables - Discussion Thread)

I’m realllyy, realllyyy enjoying the above combo. Highly recommend this amp too.

You prefer the Blanche cable over the more expensive stock cable?

Aug 5, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #611 of 878
Hey! How's the pairing with Blanche going? Notice any improvements?

It is still early but right now I don't think I prefer it to the stock cable but prefences change so we'll see. I did put the Blanche / Luna on the Purist Audio break-in disc per its required time but I can't say I noticed much change this go round.

The Blanche is a nice, though.
IMG_20200801_125349.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #612 of 878
I’ve been experimenting with different tips on my Luna, and I believe I’ve found its perfect mate, JVC Spiral Ears. The large bore opens up the trebles more which sound better to me. On Peter Murphy’s album, Love Hysteria, the song “Time Has Got Nothing To Do With It,” has what sounds like chimes, maybe bells, and their shimmering resonance kind of floats out there in space, really remarkable.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #613 of 878
I’ve been experimenting with different tips on my Luna, and I believe I’ve found its perfect mate, JVC Spiral Ears. The large bore opens up the trebles more which sound better to me. On Peter Murphy’s album, Love Hysteria, the song “Time Has Got Nothing To Do With It,” has what sounds like are chimes, maybe bells, and their shimmering resonance kind of floats out there in space, really remarkable.
Happy to hear you are really liking the Luna!

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #615 of 878
It is still early but right now I don't think I prefer it to the stock cable but prefences change so we'll see. I did put the Blanche / Luna on the Purist Audio break-in disc per its required time but I can't say I noticed much change this go round.

The Blanche is a nice, though.IMG_20200801_125349.jpg
Decided to go back to the Luna cable as I slightly prefer it to the Blanche. It just seems a little more natural to my tastes. I wish the Luna cable had the same finish as the Blanche which is a much better finished cable. The Luna cable is more ordinary looking with no bling on the Y splitter / cable ring / MMCX connector coverings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back