DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #211 of 878
I made a comment some time ago, when I heard Luna used Beryllium, if it would share characteristics of my beloved Stellias. I will say that the Luna has a very dynamic sound, just as do the Stellias. I had both the Verite Closed and the Focal Stellias, only keeping one because the majority of my listening is done with IEMs. Both were the best closed back hp's available, IMO. A tale of two distinct signatures but ultimately the Stellias won for their dynamic presentation.

I am limited in my MMCX cables, only having a couple of after market cables so I have stayed with the stock cable, others will have to comment on any sound gains achieved by cable pairings.

I have posted multiple comments on the effect that differing ear tips have. Whether this has to do with the direction or axis of the driver or whatever it is very real. I can achieve a seal with many tips, this is not an issue. I mention the ear tips because more treble extension or bass rumble is possible by your choice of tips. The overall dynamic, snappy signature is always apparent as is the sub bass, and treble extension. Try rolling tips as many as you have, not to mention the generous offering already included.

Ultimately, these are IEMs and the Stellias are full sized closed, so the comparisons stop with similarities. There are definitely dynamic and technical similarities.
Weird cause for me the Focal Stellia sounds like a sub $200 headphone.

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #213 of 878
@Dsnuts, I believe you own/owned Solaris, or anyone else who has Campfire Solaris, how does the Luna compare? I've had the Solaris for some time and still enjoy them but looking for something new. Any thought are appreciated. Thanks
The Solaris and Luna are two different signatures.The stage of the Solaris is one of the broadest I have heard in an IEM. The stage in the Luna can, at time, give the sensation that the music is coming at you from all directions. The Luna has stellar imaging. I do not consider the Solaris to be bass light, but I feel the Luna to have more impact. I really enjoy both IEM's. I feel the fit is more comfortable with the Luna. Both are dynamic, but I need to A/B to see which one would be considered more dynamic. My hunch is the Luna. Would you be selling the Solaris to purchase the Luna?

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #214 of 878
The Solaris and Luna are two different signatures.The stage of the Solaris is one of the broadest I have heard in an IEM. The stage in the Luna can, at time, give the sensation that the music is coming at you from all directions. The Luna has stellar imaging. I do not consider the Solaris to be bass light, but I feel the Luna to have more impact. I really enjoy both IEM's. I feel the fit is more comfortable with the Luna. Both are dynamic, but I need to A/B to see which one would be considered more dynamic. My hunch is the Luna. Would you be selling the Solaris to purchase the Luna?
Thanks for the comparison. I most likely would sell solaris to fund the luna. I've been following the thread and taking in impressions. It looks the Luna may be something up my ally and quite special. Part of the hobby is the joy of hearing new things, even though that comes at the expense of selling things I enjoy.

Mar 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #215 of 878

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these two as well. Absolutely loved the Solaris, but had major fit issues with it.

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #216 of 878
@Dsnuts, I believe you own/owned Solaris, or anyone else who has Campfire Solaris, how does the Luna compare? I've had the Solaris for some time and still enjoy them but looking for something new. Any thought are appreciated. Thanks
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on these two as well. Absolutely loved the Solaris, but had major fit issues with it.

I'll be receiving my loaner unit within the next week, I can make comparisons between my Solaris SE and Luna for yall then as well.

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #217 of 878
Does anyone know what surrounds materials is attached between the housing and the Beryllium diaphragm? Is it silicone ? Or is it plastic
Polyurethane surrounds for suspension. Now this is similar to Utopia, and that is great! Titanium housing and cavity ! That is very interesting indeed! The inner wires are OCC coppers as posted a while ago. Will there be other versions that uses Pure Silver or silver Goldplated wires ?

Yes, the surround is polyurethane, and is glued edge-to-edge to the beryllium foil. The CCAW voice coil is glued to the outermost bottom edge of the foil. The foil had to be designed and tooled by us; Materion presses and molds the foil to our specifications. We mentioned before that we were provided with some rudimentary designs by Materion and its design partners; our engineer Andy was unsatisfied with the design, as he felt he could achieve a similar quality of sound with coated beryllium drivers. After over twenty-odd different design iterations, the LUNA driver was born.

Here's an explanatory video:

As mentioned in the other thread, Andy keeps a Utopia on his office desk for benchmarking purposes. You can see it in the background in this screenshot, where we're testing out the rate of fall for the leaflets on LUNA's packaging. See if you guys can spot other easter eggs in this shot!

1584949679683.png

There are no plans to create variants at this time. We are working on something with a slightly different driver, but we tend not to tweak internal wiring too much.

Definitely interested in these modular cables, especially the silver one. I'm not a cable believer, but I love the look of silver cables and I'd also love the ability to swap out termination depending on what I need. I'll be first in line if Dunu ever decides to release the silver cable internationally.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll look into releasing these cables, perhaps on a limited basis, to the international market.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #218 of 878
My favourite is the Sedna Short (Light) tips. It seals very well to my ears. It's perhaps the closest to having a custom. And my ear canal is short straightforward, with average size diameter. So using the MS size fits perfectly.

+1 for senda short light way better than what they used at the shop (stock?)

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #219 of 878
Yes, the surround is polyurethane, and is glued edge-to-edge to the beryllium foil. The CCAW voice coil is glued to the outermost bottom edge of the foil. The foil had to be designed and tooled by us; Materion presses and molds the foil to our specifications. We mentioned before that we were provided with some rudimentary designs by Materion and its design partners; our engineer Andy was unsatisfied with the design, as he felt he could achieve a similar quality of sound with coated beryllium drivers. After over twenty-odd different design iterations, the LUNA driver was born.

Here's an explanatory video:

As mentioned in the other thread, Andy keeps a Utopia on his office desk for benchmarking purposes. You can see it in the background in this screenshot, where we're testing out the rate of fall for the leaflets on LUNA's packaging. See if you guys can spot other easter eggs in this shot!

1584949679683.png

There are no plans to create variants at this time. We are working on something with a slightly different driver, but we tend not to tweak internal wiring too much.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll look into releasing these cables, perhaps on a limited basis, to the international market.

Could Dunu Topsound comment on burn in recommendations (25hr, 50hr??)

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #220 of 878
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #222 of 878
Well they are going to be really something after that.

Mine arrived yesterday and sound great out of the box.
It is such an enjoyable listen. Seems to check so many of my boxes.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #223 of 878
Something else arrived in the mail today...just for the Luna.
Also took a second to try and tweak my work from home set up. Spot anything?

D2AF22B2-142E-4942-9B58-537E7AF38912.jpeg

Okay, here goes. Solved my tip conundrum. Hopefully I can try some acrylic tips next. These are silicone tips from advanced sound. So far so good!

1585000269934.png

Currently: Work Laptop -> (USB) -> Cayin N6ii E01/T01/A01 (USB DAC mode) -> (Kimber Kable 3.5mm to RCA) -> RNHP -> (stock cable/noble/hulk) -> Luna

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back