DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 26, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #241 of 878
So in these stressful times my timing couldn't have been better. I have my Luna with me with my Fiio M15 at the office. Speaking of synergy. I don't own anything that has this type of synergy. My goodness it is astonishing just how good this marriage is. Can't break up this couple. Lol.

Keeps me occupied and not think about the craziness that is happening right now. Keep safe folks. I have never appreciated my music more than I do now.

You have good taste.
IMG-0316.jpg

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #242 of 878
Been stalking this thread for a couple weeks and these are really piquing my interest. Might have to start diverting some funds to get myself a pair. I already have a Solaris that I enjoy quite a bit and will probably keep, but it sounds like these will fill a different sound signature.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #243 of 878
Been stalking this thread for a couple weeks and these are really piquing my interest. Might have to start diverting some funds to get myself a pair. I already have a Solaris that I enjoy quite a bit and will probably keep, but it sounds like these will fill a different sound signature.
I'll be getting my Luna loaner today, I can give you some comparisons later this week

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #245 of 878
I received my Luna. So far, I have about 10+ hours on them. They sound good and allot of detail, but they are definitely lacking in the bass. Now, I am only using the blue tips at the moment, so I will see if using different tips to improve the seal will help in the future. So please consider these initial impressions. And as I heard from others, I will see if they improve as they burn in (I heard 200 hours?). All listening has been done using my Cayin N8 in Tube Mode.

I compared them to my Fourte and while I feel the Luna holds its own in the midrange and treble, they are lacking in bass impact. On the plus side, the treble is good and not sibilant. The Fourte gets sibilant really fast which I feel is an issue with them. Using Paul Simon’s Graceland (Hi Def) as an example, the bass is lower and has less impact than the Fourte.

I also did a quick comparison to my QDC Anole VX. Again, I used the Graceland track for comparison. Here, there was no comparison. The VX displayed much more impact in the bass while still being great in the midrange and treble without sibilance. As an example, at 4:00 into the track there is a “whooshing” bass sound that starts. The VX presents this with authority and detail while the Luna merely lets you know there is a sound there. The Anole VX just sounded way better to me overall. I would say the VX had me more into the music, though the Luna is still good.

Then I compared the Luna to the VX using the track “Singing Winds, Crying Beasts” from Santana’s Abraxas (Hi Def) album. As I said before the bass is stronger when it needs to be on the VX. However, one point in the Luna’s favor were the bells in the beginning. You can hear them individually and still musical at the same time. Beautiful reproduction. Very detailed. The VX produced them as well, but some were a bit harder to differentiate as there is bass present as well, and the VX is also producing those sounds. I then turned on my home stereo (Rockport Altairs and Viva Electronics) as a comparison to see which is the more correct. The VX more closely resembled the sound of my big rig.

At the moment I would say they are not in the same league as the Anole VX, but let’s see how they evolve over time.

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #246 of 878
I received my Luna. So far, I have about 10+ hours on them. They sound good and allot of detail, but they are definitely lacking in the bass. Now, I am only using the blue tips at the moment, so I will see if using different tips to improve the seal will help in the future. So please consider these initial impressions. And as I heard from others, I will see if they improve as they burn in (I heard 200 hours?). All listening has been done using my Cayin N8 in Tube Mode.

I compared them to my Fourte and while I feel the Luna holds its own in the midrange and treble, they are lacking in bass impact. On the plus side, the treble is good and not sibilant. The Fourte gets sibilant really fast which I feel is an issue with them. Using Paul Simon’s Graceland (Hi Def) as an example, the bass is lower and has less impact than the Fourte.

I also did a quick comparison to my QDC Anole VX. Again, I used the Graceland track for comparison. Here, there was no comparison. The VX displayed much more impact in the bass while still being great in the midrange and treble without sibilance. As an example, at 4:00 into the track there is a “whooshing” bass sound that starts. The VX presents this with authority and detail while the Luna merely lets you know there is a sound there. The Anole VX just sounded way better to me overall. I would say the VX had me more into the music, though the Luna is still good.

Then I compared the Luna to the VX using the track “Singing Winds, Crying Beasts” from Santana’s Abraxas (Hi Def) album. As I said before the bass is stronger when it needs to be on the VX. However, one point in the Luna’s favor were the bells in the beginning. You can hear them individually and still musical at the same time. Beautiful reproduction. Very detailed. The VX produced them as well, but some were a bit harder to differentiate as there is bass present as well, and the VX is also producing those sounds. I then turned on my home stereo (Rockport Altairs and Viva Electronics) as a comparison to see which is the more correct. The VX more closely resembled the sound of my big rig.

At the moment I would say they are not in the same league as the Anole VX, but let’s see how they evolve over time.
I've been using Final E tips and for me there's no lack of bass.

Depends what your expectations are for the bass of course.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #247 of 878

Felt the same with the bass initially, but it improved quite a bit with tip rolling and further burn-in. Definetly not lacking in bass for me, coming from U12T.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #248 of 878
As a friendly announcement, we've had a few users (who elected to use Type E tips) report to us the LUNA sometimes sounding "tinny with faraway vocals" on one side. It has sometimes led to quite a bit of alarm for some people, especially when they've only had their shiny new flagship for a couple of days.

We worked with these users to troubleshoot, and from preliminary experience of a small sample size of users, it is a fully reversible effect of the very soft surround reversing its physical configuration under a very tight seal. Please bear in mind that this effect may not be exclusive to Type E tips and is more a side effect of too tight a seal within the ear, stemming from the choice of ear tip, the depth of insertion, and the size of the user's ear canal. The more airtight the seal, the deeper the insertion, and smaller the ear canal, the less there is air for the driver to move, and if the LUNA gets pushed into the ear too quickly, most of that air gets evacuated, producing a vacuum seal in the remaining space of the ear canal, and affecting driver excursion. Luckily, this effect almost always reverses itself spontaneously (the polyurethane surround will pop back into shape from its deformed position), but to hasten its recovery, we've tried to get users to pull back on that vacuum seal really quickly before breaking seal. It sometimes takes a few tries to do, but has not failed to produce a positive result so far.

Please also bear in mind that most individuals will not experience this effect. As mentioned, out of the multitudes of LUNA customers that we have corresponded with, only a couple have reported this occurrence. Our engineer Andy is aware of this effect and we've arranged to exchange a unit from one of our customers to examine whether this effect only occurs due to unit-to-unit variations, but our current understanding tells us this is a user-specific issue pertaining more to seal and vacuum issues. From a macro perspective, we're fairly satisfied with our QC efforts so far, and we're getting within a half dB tolerance between sides. However, if you experience such an occurrence, please do contact us, via PM, or e-mail. We will work with you to resolve any issues you may encounter.

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 27, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #249 of 878

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. The bass has been my concern after seeing BGGAR’s comments and has stopped me from pulling the trigger. Will be interested to see how they go for you after a bit more burn-in. Please keep us posted!

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #250 of 878
The VX in my opinion was tuned with a different target, and has a more fun sound character to it. Having plentiful (mid) bass, and almost a w-shaped sound signature to it. While the LUNA on the other hand was aimed more towards a reference and balanced sound throughout. Both companies did great jobs in my opinion with their design and execution, resulting in the creation of their flagships. qdc with the VX and its settings is very versatile and adjustable. But even with the bass switch off on the N8, there's still plenty bass there and the sound overall more colored to my ears. Different ears have different ideas of the ideal sound. And some may like the VX more for its signature (and configuration). To each according to his taste. But to compare one part; the bass between the two, I think so too the VX has more plentiful bass than the LUNA despite it using BAs. Not quite as expected against a DD. In terms of quantity. But quality-wise I think the LUNA has the edge with its higher definition and speed.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #251 of 878
11071837_5dc3e5e0152c2.jpg
A long name, but this is my favourite pair so far. I've tried many tips at the store, and found that the Sedna to be the best in terms of comfort and sound. I use them to all my universals. Its seal is great, and the bore is quite wide. Compared to the Final-E which has a smaller bore width, the Sedna I feel produces a clearer less obstructed sound. The Final-E is great for narrower, and may fit better for longer ear canals. The Sedna I discovered, was quite newer and more recent than the Final-E. It won surprisingly (against the many tips available and competing in Japan) the best tips award last year, the VGP 2020.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #252 of 878
As a friendly announcement, we've had a few users (who elected to use Type E tips) report to us the LUNA sometimes sounding "tinny with faraway vocals" on one side. It has sometimes led to quite a bit of alarm for some people, especially when they've only had their shiny new flagship for a couple of days.

We worked with these users to troubleshoot, and from preliminary experience of a small sample size of users, it is a fully reversible effect of the very soft surround reversing its physical configuration under a very tight seal. Please bear in mind that this effect may not be exclusive to Type E tips and is more a side effect of too tight a seal within the ear, stemming from the choice of ear tip, the depth of insertion, and the size of the user's ear canal. The more airtight the seal, the deeper the insertion, and smaller the ear canal, the less there is air for the driver to move, and if the LUNA gets pushed into the ear too quickly, most of that air gets evacuated, producing a vacuum seal in the remaining space of the ear canal, and affecting driver excursion. Luckily, this effect almost always reverses itself spontaneously (the polyurethane surround will pop back into shape from its deformed position), but to hasten its recovery, we've tried to get users to pull back on that vacuum seal really quickly before breaking seal. It sometimes takes a few tries to do, but has not failed to produce a positive result so far.

Please also bear in mind that most individuals will not experience this effect. As mentioned, out of the multitudes of LUNA customers that we have corresponded with, only a couple have reported this occurrence. Our engineer Andy is aware of this effect and we've arranged to exchange a unit from one of our customers to examine whether this effect only occurs due to unit-to-unit variations, but our current understanding tells us this is a user-specific issue pertaining more to seal and vacuum issues. From a macro perspective, we're fairly satisfied with our QC efforts so far, and we're getting within a half dB tolerance between sides. However, if you experience such an occurrence, please do contact us, via PM, or e-mail. We will work with you to resolve any issues you may encounter.

I have small ear canals. There are times when I get a too-good seal, to the extent that sound almost completely cuts out. Drivers need air to operate and it’s as if the vacuum is “choking” the driver. I don’t own (currently) the Luna, but I have experienced this issue with multiple IEMs. I’ve found that if I pull on the tips of my ears it releases some of this pressure.

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #253 of 878

While I appreciate your comments, it is as if you and I are listening to two different IEM's, regarding your bass comments. While the "blue tips" are supposed to be the default tips, I have found that the Spinfit CP360( generally don't like Spinfit) and as other have said the Sedna Earfit Light short will also give you a great sound quality. I also feel the other Azla Sedna tips(black) provide wonderful bass as well. The Spinfit CP100 are not to the same level as the CP360.

I am not a fan of quick listen impressions, but without any seasoning the Luna has great bass. I think that folks should try what others have stated, and try "tip rolling" before posting initial impressions. I have not heard the Anole VX so I cannot compare.

Using the next song on Graceland, I Know What I Know, the bass has clarity and authority.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #254 of 878
So in these stressful times my timing couldn't have been better. I have my Luna with me with my Fiio M15 at the office. Speaking of synergy. I don't own anything that has this type of synergy. My goodness it is astonishing just how good this marriage is. Can't break up this couple. Lol.

Keeps me occupied and not think about the craziness that is happening right now. Keep safe folks. I have never appreciated my music more than I do now.
You are enjoying the M15?

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #255 of 878
Love my new Fiio M15. It is a substantial upgrade from my previous Shanling M5s and Ibasso DX160. If you guys see reviews online it is a bit mixed for reviews but so far my M15 has easily been my best source. What they don't really go over is just how good the M15 is with IEMS.

The Luna is resolving of the source it is being used so be aware of that. If your using a neutral sounding source your Luna will sound neutral. If your using something like a M15 where sonically has layers and layers of dimensional sound. Your gonna get that in spades out of the Luna.

I laugh when I see guys saying Luna is bass light. Your not hearing them right. Or your used to having earphones with much bass. My Luna on my M15 rumbles with the best of em.

Some guys online will tell you the M15 is not worth it. Some will say the Luna looks like it has limp noodle bass..
I will say the exact opposite. the M15 and the Luna is made for each other no other way to put it. I am very picky about my bass folks. I would gladly tell you if these are weak in the bass arena. What I hear is plentiful accurate bass that has excellent resolution, speed, detail, impact and extreme texture. Luna may not be a bass first iem and you gotta remember that but what it does have is a very even fine balancing of the highs mids and bass. No part sticks out above the other. If your looking for a bass first iem. There are much cheaper alternatives that will thump your brains if that is what you want. But if your a balanced head. The LUNA is worth every penny.

I would take some of the online reviews with much grain. If you have a good source you already own. The Luna will show you just how good your source is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back