DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #661 of 878

Review by one of my favourite reviewers :)
Figured I’d drop it in the thread for reference purpose

I wonder which source did he use? With the N6ii E01, the Luna sounds great. But with the Sony ZX507 or WM1A it sounded a little off IMO. The cymbals felt lacking in sparkle, and the mids overall became a bit too warm. For my taste, I think the Luna pairs better with brighter source. WIth warmer source the early 4kHz is highlighted more, and the sweetness from the 5kHz is less felt.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #662 of 878
I wonder which source did he use? With the N6ii E01, the Luna sounds great. But with the Sony ZX507 or WM1A it sounded a little off IMO. The cymbals felt lacking in sparkle, and the mids overall became a bit too warm. For my taste, I think the Luna pairs better with brighter source. WIth warmer source the early 4kHz is highlighted more, and the sweetness from the 5kHz is less felt.

I agree about the warmth. I use wide bore tips to help with that. My AK240SS is highly detailed, but in a refined way, great match.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #663 of 878
Sounds like another person who did not get the correct fit. I disagree with his bass analysis. However, if he did not get the correct fit, then that is what I hear. The Luna does not have the best bass available, but it is much better than his explanation in my opinion, and superior to the A8000. With the correct fit there is also no wonkiness to the sound. As soon as I hear someone say that about them, I am positive they have a fit issue. I never thought the Luna would end up being this difficult of a fit issue with so many people, especially as I think it is one of the most comfortable IEM’s available, once you find the right tips.

Well, the great thing about IEM’s, if they are not your cup of tea, just switch them out. Tks.

I used a variety of tips and don't have any fit issues. The usual issue with dynamic drivers is that a poor seal gives weak bass, which I didn't experience. My criticisms of the tuning, which was otherwise good, came to only two things: The peak, or rather lack of a dip at 4kHz (which in all IEMs and headphones I've tried, makes some music sound not quite right to me) and the performance with percussion, which is why I wish someone would take a phase measurement, but was contributed to by the lack of treble extension for cymbals (though brighter IEMs are less ideal for actual portable use for reasons I've discussed before).

A Hugo 2 primarily. Agreed on the N6ii E01. That's a good match too.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #665 of 878
I'll be getting my Socrates cable tomorrow for Luna. Let's see how they pair up. Wanted a bit more lushness and little warmth to come out, hence this choice of cable!

I have been interested in that cable, eager to know how it pairs from @Deezel177 review though it had meatier bass and overall warmth but I had a feeling it was rather vivid in the upper mids? I think it already has plenty :p

On vividness by the way, Luna pairs way better with LPGT than the vivid Max... on the fence on the Max pairing but maybe it's because the Max is not totally burnt in... or maybe the R8 was the right choice for the Luna I have read good stuff on the pairing.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #666 of 878
Yep I too read it brings warmth and lushness to the midrange, although I love the mids on Luna already quite a bit, but the cable also supposedly boosts the low-end and soundstage which I have been meaning to do in Luna.

Also, I'll be honest, ever since I heard Thummim, I have been wanting to get bring similar sound to Luna, hence I chose Socrates from reading the reviews, we'll see how it is! I am still waiting for my R8 to arrive, supposed to arrive by Wednesday, let's see how all these 3 stack up to each other!

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #667 of 878
Yep I too read it brings warmth and lushness to the midrange, although I love the mids on Luna already quite a bit, but the cable also supposedly boosts the low-end and soundstage which I have been meaning to do in Luna. Also, I'll be honest, ever since I heard Thummim, I have been wanting to get bring similar sound to Luna, hence I chose Socrates from reading the reviews, we'll see how it is! I am still waiting for my R8 to arrive, supposed to arrive by Wednesday, let's see how all these 3 stack up to each other!

Read great stuff on R8 / Luna pairing and it makes sense from all accounts of the R8 tuning. Hefty low end, full lower mids, natural and smooth treble.

Eager to get your impressions :)

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #668 of 878
I used a variety of tips and don't have any fit issues. The usual issue with dynamic drivers is that a poor seal gives weak bass, which I didn't experience. My criticisms of the tuning, which was otherwise good, came to only two things: The peak, or rather lack of a dip at 4kHz (which in all IEMs and headphones I've tried, makes some music sound not quite right to me) and the performance with percussion, which is why I wish someone would take a phase measurement, but was contributed to by the lack of treble extension for cymbals (though brighter IEMs are less ideal for actual portable use for reasons I've discussed before).
I 100% agree with your take. I just sent the Luna to the next user in the Luna tour, I enjoyed my time with it, but it’s very much a flavor iem.

I personally prefer A8000, but if I had to own one of the 2, I’m not sure which I’d pick.

Luna: More linear, cleaner/ flatter midrange, more reference-like bass but lacks presence, faster and perhaps overall better dynamics, upper treble and air not very present. More artificial/ analytical, a bit shouty/ crunchy with a slight metallic timbre but warmth in the midbass.

Amazing with live music, acoustic, jazz, classical. Reminds me of
HD800

A8000:V shape, superb bass extension and slam (yes superior to Luna), extremely bothersome treble peak. v-shape warm, with a sibilant/ edgy lower treble, even when dissipated with narrow bore tips (Final, symbio)

Amazing with electronica, any kind of music with loads of dynamics. More “fun”, and natural (minus the treble spike) - yet less neutral. Reminds me of Focal Utopia.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 28, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #669 of 878
Reading how spread the impressions of the Luna are, and given my own experience with LPGT and DX220 Max with the first being a superb pairing and the second not at all (for me) I think the Luna is really sensitive to the source so it would be great to have some context on impressions (ah and tips as well...). It really puzzled me for the last days, how the Max totally killed the Luna for me (and in the end it kills the Max for me) to the point that I spent quite some time doing some A/B with LPGT and the source is clearly the cause.

Max made Luna sound ultra revealing and fatiguing, thinner and beyond my threshold in the upper mids section. Not at all what I hear with LPGT where it's a fuller, smoother, more balanced presentation that takes the Luna to the Moon so to speak. It's eerie how far away the Luna from LPGT is compared to the Max as a source. And with Max we're talking a DAP that is considered to be linear, not far from reference. So it's all in the delivery, a smoother and fuller bodied DAP is better with Luna for my taste. I am eager to receive the Hiby R8 to run comparisons.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #670 of 878
Read great stuff on R8 / Luna pairing and it makes sense from all accounts of the R8 tuning. Hefty low end, full lower mids, natural and smooth treble.

Eager to get your impressions :)
Just got the Socrates today, gave 2hr initial impressions with DX220 and let's just say that I'm a very happy guy! Right now I am burning-in the cable overnight, not sure if that will do anything but will give more sessions tomorrow.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #671 of 878
Spending quality time with the Luna - with no review to write this time I can just sit back and relax - I am reminded how exceptional the Luna is... both macro and micro dynamics are out of this world, and timbre ahhhh no beating dynamic drivers on this. I have heard a lot of 3K plus IEMs that can't do what the Luna can, so it's great value as well :)

Hi hats and brass on Jazz are just the best I have heard them... :heartbeat:
And the percussions... try this track with Luna :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 10.47.35.jpeg

The Xelastec (L) are definitely my go to tips on the Luna now, even over my custom silicon tips something about the shallower insertion I guess that works best.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #672 of 878
Honestly, Luna+Socrates+DX220 is making very happy! The sound is very very close to Thummim when I heard it during the tour, minus a bit of the soundstage, which is crazy in Thummim, and little less of the dark sound.

I hope to get my R8 this week, provided the courier does not screw it up, and see how it goes. Maybe I'll try the BX2 Plus amp also and just check how does it scale!!

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #673 of 878
Spending some time with LPGT and Luna, clearly a way smoother presentation than the vivid Max I think LPGT is a better pairing and think R8 will also be... we’ll see Thursday!

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #675 of 878
Spending quality time with the Luna - with no review to write this time I can just sit back and relax - I am reminded how exceptional the Luna is... both macro and micro dynamics are out of this world, and timbre ahhhh no beating dynamic drivers on this. I have heard a lot of 3K plus IEMs that can't do what the Luna can, so it's great value as well :)

Hi hats and brass on Jazz are just the best I have heard them... :heartbeat:
And the percussions... try this track with Luna :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 10.47.35.jpeg

The Xelastec (L) are definitely my go to tips on the Luna now, even over my custom silicon tips something about the shallower insertion I guess that works best.
Thank you. Cool track for the way the percussion is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back