DUNU LUNA - Impressions and Discussion
Sep 3, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #646 of 878
I preferred the Sedna Light Shorts over the spinfits. I actually liked them the best. I use size ML on the light shorts. We are all different especially with ear tips. You might want to try the Sedna Xelastec as that will give you a great seal. Most folks using them have needed one size smaller than usual. Amazon does carry them. Good luck
What I also wonder about at times is how deep Dunu intended the luna to be inserted?
In my ears it often feels like the shallower the insertion the more comfortable it is (which is the case for most IEM's I guess) but as opposed to other IEM's, I don't always feel like deeper sounds better.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #647 of 878
What I also wonder about at times is how deep Dunu intended the luna to be inserted?
In my ears it often feels like the shallower the insertion the more comfortable it is (which is the case for most IEM's I guess) but as opposed to other IEM's, I don't always feel like deeper sounds better.
Using the shorts and inserting them in all the way is what works best for me. I would still call it a shallower insertion than others due to its size.

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #648 of 878
You prefer the Blanche cable over the more expensive stock cable?
Just saw this post. Yeah; I think I like the Blanche cable over the stock one. To me the Blanche cable gives the Luna some increased resolution (especially in the high end). I like the build quality and feel of the Blanche cable over the stock one as well. It’s a really fun cable to listen with.

But I can see why the stock cable was selected, it fits the tonality of the IEM well, if I recall correctly. I’ve been mostly listening with the Blanche cable and quicksilver tube amp + N6ii e02 at the moment. I should do another swap back to the stock cable and compare again for a bit.

There are layers and layers of music heard with this iem. The resolution is absolutely incredible...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #649 of 878
IMG_20200920_060223.jpg

2 very special products arriving almost at once, giving me an opportunity to see how far the Dunu Luna can go. I've had 10 hours or so with the Luna.
They have a more complete sound than the Final A8000, another Beryllium single driver IEM. I'd even go so far as to say these remind me of the Stax SR009s. The clarity and separation has convinced me that this material is making a difference.
My thoughts on the styling is that they lack the cosmetics when compared to the sound. The shells are not a practical shape for avoiding wind noise when outside. The fit into the ear canal entrance stays fairly stable, needing little adjustment, even when out for a walk. There is no cable noise transferred to the drivers. The different types of balanced connections that can be plugged into the cable is a great idea. The only downside is that there is a lot of metal coming out from the output jack, and that can get slightly caught in a pocket and pull the connector out enough to cut the sound out.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #650 of 878
IMG_20200920_060223.jpg
2 very special products arriving almost at once, giving me an opportunity to see how far the Dunu Luna can go. I've had 10 hours or so with the Luna.
They have a more complete sound than the Final A8000, another Beryllium single driver IEM. I'd even go so far as to say these remind me of the Stax SR009s. The clarity and separation has convinced me that this material is making a difference.
My thoughts on the styling is that they lack the cosmetics when compared to the sound. The shells are not a practical shape for avoiding wind noise when outside. The fit into the ear canal entrance stays fairly stable, needing little adjustment, even when out for a walk. There is no cable noise transferred to the drivers. The different types of balanced connections that can be plugged into the cable is a great idea. The only downside is that there is a lot of metal coming out from the output jack, and that can get slightly caught in a pocket and pull the connector out enough to cut the sound out.
Happy to see someone else agrees on sound vs A8000. What is the Hifiman Dap? Tks.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #652 of 878
So happy that the Luna at long last found their way to me thanks to @lafeuill

IMG_0038.jpg

I had missed them soooo much!
Such a unique sounding IEM... now out of the DX220 Max :heartbeat:

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #655 of 878
What tips are those if you mind me asking?

Those are Spinfit CP100 but the ones I use with the Luna the most are my Custom Art custom silicon tips.

img_5173.jpg

I was rolling tips when I took the picture not the best ones with the Luna IMHO. I prefer Azla Xelastec or Flare Earfoams in universals or Whirlwinds

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #656 of 878

Review by one of my favourite reviewers :)
Figured I’d drop it in the thread for reference purpose

Sounds like another person who did not get the correct fit. I disagree with his bass analysis. However, if he did not get the correct fit, then that is what I hear. The Luna does not have the best bass available, but it is much better than his explanation in my opinion, and superior to the A8000. With the correct fit there is also no wonkiness to the sound. As soon as I hear someone say that about them, I am positive they have a fit issue. I never thought the Luna would end up being this difficult of a fit issue with so many people, especially as I think it is one of the most comfortable IEM’s available, once you find the right tips.

Well, the great thing about IEM’s, if they are not your cup of tea, just switch them out. Tks.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #657 of 878
Sounds like another person who did not get the correct fit. I disagree with his bass analysis. However, if he did not get the correct fit, then that is what I hear. The Luna does not have the best bass available, but it is much better than his explanation in my opinion, and superior to the A8000. With the correct fit there is also no wonkiness to the sound. As soon as I hear someone say that about them, I am positive they have a fit issue. I never thought the Luna would end up being this difficult of a fit issue with so many people, especially as I think it is one of the most comfortable IEM’s available, once you find the right tips.

Well, the great thing about IEM’s, if they are not your cup of tea, just switch them out. Tks.

The mid-bass is more prominent on the Luna, but the sub-bass favors the A8000.

I agree on the ease of fit, and I too am surprised users are having fit issues. The Luna is the most comfortable IEM I own.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #658 of 878
graph.png

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #659 of 878
Thanks for putting up the images. I do use the graphs, but I really use them to see if there is something bad going on. For me they never represent the sound. I compared both and felt the Luna had superior bass to the A8000. Granted 30 minutes at a CanJam does not make for a review, but it can tell me if one has more bass impact than the other as that is what I was focusing on. I was even going back and forth between the two tables to get immediate comparisons. I might have still tried the A8000 except that I heard what I call a metallic sound in the upper registers. A few other folks have also mentioned this, though we do seem to be in the minority. Tks.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #660 of 878
Thanks for putting up the images. I do use the graphs, but I really use them to see if there is something bad going on. For me they never represent the sound. I compared both and felt the Luna had superior bass to the A8000. Granted 30 minutes at a CanJam does not make for a review, but it can tell me if one has more bass impact than the other as that is what I was focusing on. I was even going back and forth between the two tables to get immediate comparisons. I might have still tried the A8000 except that I heard what I call a metallic sound in the upper registers. A few other folks have also mentioned this, though we do seem to be in the minority. Tks.

Interesting, the most recent Luna review here on hf mentions a metallic sound for the Luna, and I don’t hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back