Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,307 of 2,536
guys i have issue on my DUNU 1k. i have this since december. I think the plastic cooating wire of my dunu 1k near the housing both left and right ear is hardening already the first 2-3 inches from the housing. its not soft as brand new.. i think it became 2-3x harder now. I dont experience this on my other IEM. Well its still flexible as long as it does not become britle or crack easily it doesnt bother me but if this continue to get harder i sure it will crack..

anyone experience this.. I think the cause of this came from the oil on my skin face.. because after hours of use when i remove my dunu for resting my ear the wire is covered with ear.. so i just clean it wwith cloth.. but once a week i try to clean the wire with wet soap cotton then wash it with wet cotton.. how do you clean your dunu?

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,309 of 2,536
  guys i have issue on my DUNU 1k. i have this since december. I think the plastic cooating wire of my dunu 1k near the housing both left and right ear is hardening already the first 2-3 inches from the housing. its not soft as brand new.. i think it became 2-3x harder now. I dont experience this on my other IEM. Well its still flexible as long as it does not become britle or crack easily it doesnt bother me but if this continue to get harder i sure it will crack..

anyone experience this.. I think the cause of this came from the oil on my skin face.. because after hours of use when i remove my dunu for resting my ear the wire is covered with ear.. so i just clean it wwith cloth.. but once a week i try to clean the wire with wet soap cotton then wash it with wet cotton.. how do you clean your dunu?

My friend, mine is exactly the same in the same section. I have no idea why or any cure. I tried rubbing some vegetable oil on that section of the cable and it remains stiff - Its also very hard to show in photo's online but I can assure you mine has gone exactly like yours has. I suggest you go for a return if it really bothers you, or at least hang on until the cable actually cracks for a warranty (which I think will happen). How bizarre is what you're probably thinking, just like me who wonders every day why the cable has done this in that area.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,310 of 2,536
Apr 26, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #1,311 of 2,536
Hi, folks. I've had my DN-1000s for nearly a week now. I had a lot of trouble finding the right tips and insertion depth. The Complys were best, but not ideal, because they didn't seal particularly well with my large ear canals. In fact, nothing I tried seemed to give me a good, consistent seal. Bass response was generally quite poor, mids sounded thin, and the highs were kind of all over the place until I tried Monster Gel Super tips. These improved things greatly, but I found them to make the bass a little too boomy and collapse the soundstage by a good deal. (They do compensate with very good isolation, though.)

Still unsatisfied, I returned to the stock tips, but started trying larger sizes. Since the Complys were all the same size, they offered no improvement, though I found them to sound okay. (I'm still awaiting delivery of some Large tips directly from Comply.) The largest clear tips were extremely comfortable and sounded OK, though the bass response was still not as full as I thought the 'phones should provide. Then I found that if I used the gray vaned tips and tilted the housings slightly upwards, they sounded even better, with great imaging. Then, when I went to radio shack to get a plug (to have my step dad reterminate my Radius DDMs) I picked up a set of their house brand Auvio tips. These are very much like Sony hybrids, but with a wider tube that can fit the Dunu's wide nozzles. They're perfect for me. Every aspect of the sound is an improvement over the gray vaned tips. I highly recommend them!

Now that I've settled on tips, I'm going to start rolling rings for a few days. I'm using the blue ones now, but once I've got them dialed in, I'll post some impressions here, including comparisons to the DDMs, which have long remained my standard for IEMs; they're not as technically competent as phones like the Sure SE535s, but they had an absolutely magical sound. I'm hoping the Dunus will measure up. Certainly, I'm enjoying the heck out of them do far!

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,312 of 2,536
Does anyone know who makes a wide bore silicon tip that is longer in length so that the length serves the same purpose as a spacer, this may fix the problem.

Meusicfrek, see my last post. The Auvios are perfect. I've had trouble with tips coming off, as well, but only Monster gels and foams (the latter are hard to get out of my ears once they come off the nozzles!). The stocks haven't given me any trouble.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,314 of 2,536
ahhhh I'm so pissed off. lost one of my grey medium tips today (must've slipped off somehow its so easy to with this housing design). anyone know where i can purchase replacements? thhey give me the best fit, seal, and sound. or is there another set of highly recommended tips i should get instead? honestly, this iem sounds great but comfort and seal issues really give me a headache.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,317 of 2,536
You don't want to use narrow bore tips with the DN-1000.
They accentuate the treble to the extent sibilance in most genres.

I highly recommend wide bore tips with bores as wide as the nozzles.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,318 of 2,536
  ahhhh I'm so pissed off. lost one of my grey medium tips today (must've slipped off somehow its so easy to with this housing design). anyone know where i can purchase replacements? thhey give me the best fit, seal, and sound. or is there another set of highly recommended tips i should get instead? honestly, this iem sounds great but comfort and seal issues really give me a headache.

Try the Auvios from Radio Shack if you're in NA. They're $5US for two pair, but the fit the barrel securely and give me a similar sound to the grays, only better.  I also ordered some Comply T400 Larges because the ones supplied were just too small to seal reliably without uncomfortably deep insertion.  I spent today listening to them, and they're just a notch below the Auvios in SQ, but offer surprising isolation.  I was sitting in my driveway, reading with them in and a car pulled up with out me even hearing.  They should be nice for planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back