Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Apr 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,276 of 2,536
Price-wise a sure scam for a new item, but also check the feedback score.  No score.  That's the first thing you should look for.  A seller with a lot of sales and a high feedback score is usually ok.  Someone like this, stay away from.  Probably a hit and runner.

Definitely a scam. Way too good to be true. 

thanks!

It would be way better to get one on legit dealer. I made up my mind.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,277 of 2,536
So after reading around a bit, it appears several members here have tried the DX50 + DN-1000 combo without any amp. How do they do?

I am a potentially a bit scared of the highs, the DN-1000 have a very sharp peak at around 10kHz that I compensate for a bit with the EQ, and from what I have heard the DX50 provides very good highs, one reviewer said the player was best suited for monitors that fell off a bit in the higher frequency range as the DX50 performs so well in that region, what about you DN-1000 owners? what is your opinion?

I guess a better question is: I can clearly feel the peak at around 10kHz, Do you agree, and if so, how do you deal with that? Do you DX50 owners compensate for it with the DX50 equaliser or are you not bothered by it? At first the DN-1000's fatigued me a bit with how crystal crisp they sounded in that range but once I neutralised the peak they just sound amazing to me.

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,278 of 2,536
Well, I DO use an amp, which probably changes things a bit re your question.  As to the treble peak of the Dunu, there are times my music gets right up to treble overload (I listen to 60s/70s rock, so sometimes cymbal work, occasionally horns) but stops just short.  I don't need to eq.  I hear what you are talking about, but it's rare and not offensive.  It may be the Line Out to an amp changes freq. response  for me compared to HO for you.  But I love the DX50 (w/JDS Labs C5) and the Dunu 1000 combo.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,279 of 2,536
  So after reading around a bit, it appears several members here have tried the DX50 + DN-1000 combo without any amp. How do they do?

I am a potentially a bit scared of the highs, the DN-1000 have a very sharp peak at around 10kHz that I compensate for a bit with the EQ, and from what I have heard the DX50 provides very good highs, one reviewer said the player was best suited for monitors that fell off a bit in the higher frequency range as the DX50 performs so well in that region, what about you DN-1000 owners? what is your opinion?

I guess a better question is: I can clearly feel the peak at around 10kHz, Do you agree, and if so, how do you deal with that? Do you DX50 owners compensate for it with the DX50 equaliser or are you not bothered by it? At first the DN-1000's fatigued me a bit with how crystal crisp they sounded in that range but once I neutralised the peak they just sound amazing to me.

Absolutely not, compared to some of the other, more expensive, more capable hybrid, DN-1000's peaks are non-existent.

If you can hear it, then most probably due to tip issue, try using the wide bore tips, and avoid using the small bore tips?

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,280 of 2,536
  Well, I DO use an amp, which probably changes things a bit re your question.  As to the treble peak of the Dunu, there are times my music gets right up to treble overload (I listen to 60s/70s rock, so sometimes cymbal work, occasionally horns) but stops just short.  I don't need to eq.  I hear what you are talking about, but it's rare and not offensive.  It may be the Line Out to an amp changes freq. response  for me compared to HO for you.  But I love the DX50 (w/JDS Labs C5) and the Dunu 1000 combo.  

Alright, thanks! I'll probably get a DX50 but won't get an amp for starters (it is already pushing my price range), but I'll keep it in mind in case I do go for an amp later on.

Absolutely not, compared to some of the other, more expensive, more capable hybrid, DN-1000's peaks are non-existent.

If you can hear it, then most probably due to tip issue, try using the wide bore tips, and avoid using the small bore tips?

I haven't tried any other hybrids, these are my first and I went for them by recommendation from Joker and reading around a bit they seemed like really good new hybrid bang-for-the-buck iem's. I really experience what olddude pinpointed, stuff like 70's rock sometimes the cymbal work really crisps it for me to the point where it gets a bit fatiguing but if I neutralise it with the EQ (i modify a channel to ~10kHz and just drop it by a couple of db) and it really does wonders for my ears. Of course as with all sound it is individual.

The DX50 does have an eq though, so if I run without an amp, I guess I can just neutralise it a bit though, right?

Also I did experiment a bit with the tips when I got the dunu's but maybe I was just a bit to eager to just keep listening :D I guess I'll give all the wide bore tips a run, I have a tad narrow ear canals, I currently use the thinnest silver adjustment rings and.. i guess "some medium thick black spiraling (?)" tips that came with it.

Thanks the help and info, both of you.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,281 of 2,536
I agree, try changing out the Dunu's tips.  Also, the spacers are very helpful.  I use the Comply with the narrowest spacers to get the sound I like.  But there are a myriad of combo available to try.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,282 of 2,536

I've become rather fond of the same pairing, only Tralucent T1 as the amp. I've been using the rig full time this last week. Rather addictive.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,283 of 2,536
Wondered where you were, haven't seen any posts by you lately.  I guess you've been rocking out. 
L3000.gif

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,285 of 2,536
Wondered where you were, haven't seen any posts by you lately.  I guess you've been rocking out. :L3000:

I've been tinkering with desktop dac/amps and researching full-size headphones however, my rig for laying down at night is (currently) DX50 / T1 / DN -1000. Nice and balanced, full frequency range always present. For example right now I'm rocking out in a pitch black room on my phone to the rig in question.(1am) With a blue led shinning from the Tralucent amp bright enough to illuminate the entire room. (it's really bright)

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,286 of 2,536
Ooooohhhh, vampire time.  
beyersmile.png

I lay down in bed, I fall asleep.  

And my C5 has a little bitty green dot light that doesn't light up anything.  

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,290 of 2,536
  Ooooohhhh, vampire time.  
beyersmile.png

I lay down in bed, I fall asleep.  

And my C5 has a little bitty green dot light that doesn't light up anything.  

What, some kinda Crocodile Dundee thing?  Is THAT why he's in the dark, so he can see their eyes shining?  Very.... butch
deadhorse.gif

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy fighting this beast off defending my back yard.

I was able to strangle it with my Dunu DN-1000 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back