Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #346 of 2,536
haha mate, you know that's not
wink.gif

after stock piled i am not hungry anymore, and with 1p2 i can afford carefully move on without any rush because i know how it must sound now
biggrin.gif

seriously my journey with budget IEMs is over, i rather look at ASG2, FitEars, JHA and similar.

also having RWAK and DX50 amped by T1 i feel no rush too, so i wait for Calyx M to see if truly highend maker can knock out AK and iBasso.

you know my journey is well more into nirvanna and i already found great products letting me come closer to full way open rig or concert stage feel. so now carefully moving forward in small steps.

Dunu must be great IEMs but i am already past the stop at which i could consider them, way i am far ahead now, so no point spending smaller pennies when need save for bigger ideas.

and for fun i still have best budget combo c3+BH and H200 while EB50 remains the most neutral single BA i ever heard and remains with me for history
wink.gif

You're far to experienced for me Gintaras.....

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #347 of 2,536
H20, your comment saddens me because there was nothing meant about anyone's experience.

and more so my comment was lightly placed in friendly leg pulling... 
redface.gif

actually all our experience is limited to gear we have and preferences we have. there is no magic and what is good for me might be not good for you.

so my comment was about my personal preferences or as i see them as regards portable gear journey. one small addition: i hate reselling gear and have not much time for trade ins and outs.

so for me personally i see no need to stockpile gear which admittedly will not beat what i already have. this has nothing to do with price or quality of Dunu or anything else. it just happens i bought something like 1p2 or RWAK which make cheaper offerings redundant as suggested both by their reputation and, to some extent, price tag.

that said i cannot see what experience i can offer besides what i have or hear 
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #348 of 2,536
  Just got these and am very impressed. They sound very similar to the XBA-40s-

Here are the differences

The DN1000s
-Bass hits harder, more definition, and a tad longer decay
-No metallic highs (It was quite getting used to how high vocals should sound like)
-Very slightly less clarity
-Teeny bit wider soundstage, equal instrument seperation
-More immersive sound (best i can describe is a better refined ATHCKS1000)
-Equal imaging/3-Dness
-Sibilant(!) - Changing the tips do help however (Using red rings + DUNU Silicon)

Never thought I would find a successor to my 40s! I've tried the ATHCKS-1000, T-Peos H200, TDK-BA200, XBA-H1s and still the 40s won over all of them. As always, i'll see how they fare after the honeymoon period is over. My rig is a 128gb CF DIYMod iPod 5th gen with 1uf Film caps + Pure Silver LOD + JDS Labs C5.

I'm wondering what changes you guys heard after burn in as these impressions were 1-2 hours out of the box.

canikickit1 Sorry it took so long to reply, but I did find them to open up slightly in the treble after about 50hrs or so. They got just a bit brighter, and the sound stage got bigger. I too noticed a bit of sibilance, but on closer listening, I realized that they were only amplifying sibilance that was recorded on the track. I went back and listened to the same tracks on my RE272's and sure enough, it was there, only less pronounced. I find that a cut of 3dB at around 6.4khz evens them out, but if the track has sibilance, the DN1000 will not gloss over it. I only hear it on certain tracks and it isn't enough to change my opinion of these.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #349 of 2,536
Today I've been comparing extensively the IM70 and the three-driver hybrid, the DN-1000. This comparing was very interesting as the IM70 sounds a little bit fuller on some tracks than it does through the DN-1K. But after a good two hours of listening, one thing became very clear. The DN-1000 wins hands down in refinement, detail, clarity, layering, and staging of instruments. The IM70 is actually a fairly clear earphone for a dual-dyanmic, but those two BAs in the DN-1K just dig in a little deeper and peels back layers in the music that I just found amazing (and is revealing itself after a good burn-in). Vocals sound more natural in the IM70, but are more detailed and rich in the DN-1K. That's the word I was looking for. The DN-1K presents a richer layered sound in than the Im70.

For example, I was listening to a '70s - '80s r&b group called Cameo. They have a ballad called It's Over. There is a lot of rich acoustic guitar in this song, and the DN-1K renders the guitar plucking so beautifully. The IM70, on the other hand, masks the acoustic guitar somewhat behind the bass (although the bass has settled down significantly). Yes, you can hear the acoustic guitar with the IM70, but the DN-1K gives the guitar ti's own space. The DN-1K does the same for electric guitars too. It tends to push the guitars forward somewhat and gives this particular instrument it's own space with lots of air around it. The bass is beautiful and stays in its place. 

So, while I still think the IM70 is a great bang-for-the-buck, for about $80 more you get a richer more detailed and clear DN-1000 hybrid. I feel like I am discovering this earphone all over again. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #350 of 2,536
Great to see an update from you ericp! That's exactly how I hear the DN-1000 while listening to incubus. The bass lines have their own space leaving the rest of the instruments to move around freely within the headstage! A very 3d experience...

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #351 of 2,536
Nice comparison Eric, makes me want to try the IM70.

You should try the DN-900 if you can. It's really nice for its price and the mids are warmer.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #352 of 2,536
Dec 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #353 of 2,536
Oh my! The DN-1000 and DX50 love pushing Radiohead into my cerebral cortex!! Nice!! 
basshead.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #354 of 2,536
How is the sound comparison between DN1000 vs DBA02-MKII in term of detail/micro detail, sound stage/3D imaging, separation, treble & bass?

I found DBA02-MK11 is a bit too bright (ear fatigue after listening to long time) and a loose bass. Does DN1000 better in those areas?

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #356 of 2,536
So, while I still think the IM70 is a great bang-for-the-buck, for about $80 more you get a richer more detailed and clear DN-1000 hybrid. I feel like I am discovering this earphone all over again. 

I have been listening to DN-900 exclusively for a week, I put my 1000 back on last night and I smiled from check to check yet again, so yeah I know how you feel mate 
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #357 of 2,536
  Oh my! The DN-1000 and DX50 love pushing Radiohead into my cerebral cortex!! Nice!! 
basshead.gif
ksc75smile.gif

I haven't listened to Radiohead on my DN1000's for a while. Which track(s)?

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #358 of 2,536
I haven't listened to Radiohead on my DN1000's for a while. Which track(s)?

Been to indulged with your Canadian home based Justin Bieber have you Wayne? :wink:

I have my Dunny's going now with Taylor Swift and the Rocco, too good for the asking price.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #359 of 2,536
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #360 of 2,536
WAit! How did I miss you owning the DN-1000, waynes world? And how does it compare to the H-200 to your ears? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back