Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #331 of 2,536
Hey H20fidelity, I am having comfort trouble with the 1Ks, I feel like the earbud is so large that any eartip I try that comes with it makes my ear hurt after 1 hr or so. What is your suggestion? I like the soft tips that come with it though, I usually like deep insertion tips.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #332 of 2,536
Hey H20fidelity, I am having comfort trouble with the 1Ks, I feel like the earbud is so large that any eartip I try that comes with it makes my ear hurt after 1 hr or so. What is your suggestion? I like the soft tips that come with it though, I usually like deep insertion tips.

I think your best bet is to start trying different tip variations. Often when I buy/try an IEM the provided tips are no use to me, that's why I have a large variety on hand, I actually spend time searching for new options.

I'll give you some links via PM, see if we can find something a little more comfortable. Also, try wearing them both over and under the ear.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #333 of 2,536
I think your best bet is to start trying different tip variations. Often when I buy/try an IEM the provided tips are no use to me, that's why I have a large variety on hand, I actually spend time searching for new options.

I'll give you some links via PM, see if we can find something a little more comfortable. Also, try wearing them both over and under the ear.

Thanks! I was looking into other tips but had no idea where to start, what I need are tips that give good insertion but also provide a good separation between the earbud and my ear so it doesn't forcefully go into my ear opening and cause discomfort. I tried both over the ear and under, under feels a little better but the pain and discomfort is still there.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #334 of 2,536
Can I also ask for a "test drive" with songs that I like?

(by the way, I'm the user who sent you a message about the Dunu...)

My playlist:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93S_l0qZrXA (Creedence Clearwater revival - Heard it through the grapevine)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziuqk8dZwrM (Rainbow - Eyes of the world)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49XBmLTwWsQ (Deep Purple - Sometimes I feel like screaming - in cocncert with the London Sympgony)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I85ceICRM (AC/DC - Let there be rock)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXuBCCBTJbQ (Iron Maiden - Flash of the Blade)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l8KtdQ7Ek (Stratovarius - Hunting high and low)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_IKkAaodRI (Helloween - A million to one)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFsf9OXrGdE (Megadeth - Mechanix - live)

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk (Metallica - For whom the bell tolls)

Sorry... I think I went a little overboard, but I just got too happy listen to this all, haha!

great songs, good taste :D

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #335 of 2,536
Hi Bohdy!

Finally got the Dn-1000 with me and I have listened to your playlists. First and foremost, awesome tracks mate! I loved them all.

All I can say is: As a metal fan, hands down I enjoyed all the songs more on the H200. Although the DN-1000 is technically better in most aspects, it's just not the best IEM for heavy metal. The main reason is the [COLOR=FF0000]delay in bass decay + the boosted sub-bass[/COLOR] is too warm for metal to sound [COLOR=FF0000]"old-school" metal[/COLOR]. The DN-1000 will make most metal songs sound like they're played by Disturbed. Not that Disturbed is a bad metal band, but it's just not how most metal tracks should sound like. The bass kicks are just not fast enough for me to enjoy metal bass kicks. Secondly, I don't like the bass guitar to highlight the lower spectrum. I want more bass drum kicks quantity over bass guitar quantity. The DN-1000 has it in reverse: more forward bass guitar over bass drum kicks. [COLOR=FF0000]Please note that this is my personal preference. If you are the same, which I reckon you are, you'll definitely understand.[/COLOR]

The H200 has a drier/clearer sounding mids IN METAL because the bass isn't warm enough to affect the presentation in the mids. This is very important to me because I listen closely to guitars when listening to metal. So, if you love your guitar shreds: the H200 is the way to go! And most of all, the bass drum kicks and bass guitar are about the same in quantity depending on how they were recorded/mixed. So altogether, the H200 is the winner for heavy metal in my books. I still have to find an IEM better than the H200 when it comes to metal. The Sony XBA 3 comes in second but not that close to the H200.

[COLOR=FF0000]One thing to consider with the H200, the treble is a bit harsher because of the peak @ 9khz. You have to find the right tips for you to tame it. I found mine and it is now close to my desired presentation.[/COLOR]

Please refer back to my comparison review between the H200 and DN1000 if you want more details... Hope this helps! 

interesting, thanks for sharing

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #336 of 2,536
Originally Posted by MDH12AX7 

This is my first post here on Head-Fi. I have been lurking for a couple years but finally joined so that I might share my experience with the DN1000.

These are by far my favorite IEM's. I own the RE272 which are nice but too polite for hard rock and bass-heavy music. I tried several other IEM's before settling on the DN1000's. The Velodyne V-Pulse was too un-refined and had some nasty peaks in the mids. I had a pair of Xears TD2's that sounded decent but lacked micro-detail and bass control. I recently purchased the Yamaha EPH-100's and I really wanted to like them. They sounded very good except for a nasty peak in the upper midrange that accentuated sibilance in recordings and caused a metallic ringing that I couldn't live with. I have a pair of Brainwavz M2's which are good for the money but have a small sound stage and lack air. I tried the JVC FXT90's which I again wanted to like very much, but they had too much sibilance.

This lead me to take a chance on the DN1000's and I am extremely glad I took the plunge! I have never owned any balanced armature IEM's and love the bass from good dynamic drivers, so I was not sure what to expect, but these hybrids are wonderful! These have powerful, fast, deep, controlled bass, smooth, detailed mids that are neither boosted or recessed and very nice smooth treble with good extension. These have a large sound stage and good instrument separation.The bass tightened up slightly after about 40hrs of burn in and has just the right blend of speed, accuracy and natural decay. The mids and highs are so smooth with no nasty peaks or valleys. I settled on the silver spacer rings and the medium gray silicone tips. These have very good isolation, better than any other IEM I have tried. I find these to be very comfortable and well built with a reassuring heft that makes them feel like a quality product. I am using FLAC's exclusively in my trusty RockBoxed Sansa Clip Zip.

Now, it just might be time to step up to a better DAP, as soon as my wife forgets about the $200 I just spent....  I hope this helps someone else find their new favorite IEM's! Nice job DUNU!

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #337 of 2,536
  This is my first post here on Head-Fi. I have been lurking for a couple years but finally joined so that I might share my experience with the DN1000.

These are by far my favorite IEM's. I own the RE272 which are nice but too polite for hard rock and bass-heavy music. I tried several other IEM's before settling on the DN1000's. The Velodyne V-Pulse was too un-refined and had some nasty peaks in the mids. I had a pair of Xears TD2's that sounded decent but lacked micro-detail and bass control. I recently purchased the Yamaha EPH-100's and I really wanted to like them. They sounded very good except for a nasty peak in the upper midrange that accentuated sibilance in recordings and caused a metallic ringing that I couldn't live with. I have a pair of Brainwavz M2's which are good for the money but have a small sound stage and lack air. I tried the JVC FXT90's which I again wanted to like very much, but they had too much sibilance.

This lead me to take a chance on the DN1000's and I am extremely glad I took the plunge! I have never owned any balanced armature IEM's and love the bass from good dynamic drivers, so I was not sure what to expect, but these hybrids are wonderful! These have powerful, fast, deep, controlled bass, smooth, detailed mids that are neither boosted or recessed and very nice smooth treble with good extension. These have a large sound stage and good instrument separation.The bass tightened up slightly after about 40hrs of burn in and has just the right blend of speed, accuracy and natural decay. The mids and highs are so smooth with no nasty peaks or valleys. I settled on the silver spacer rings and the medium gray silicone tips. These have very good isolation, better than any other IEM I have tried. I find these to be very comfortable and well built with a reassuring heft that makes them feel like a quality product. I am using FLAC's exclusively in my trusty RockBoxed Sansa Clip Zip.

Now, it just might be time to step up to a better DAP, as soon as my wife forgets about the $200 I just spent....  I hope this helps someone else find their new favorite IEM's! Nice job DUNU!

Welcome, sorry for your wallet, and congratulations on the DN1000's! Yet another positive review that makes me want them even more lol.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #338 of 2,536

*Welcome, sorry for your wallet, and congratulations on the DN1000's!
**Yet another positive review that makes me want them even more lol.

* Lol.... Nice welcome note, just our Head-fi community Slogan......
** Yeah,same here, especially when I got confirmed that it's a 3 way Hybrid not 2. I'm just waiting for the x-mas deal, as the CM deal was not that attractive to bite my wallet.....
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #339 of 2,536
great songs, good taste
biggrin.gif

Thanks...
Crazy thing: a lot of these bands I discovered myself, but after watching the BBC special about the history of rock...
I guess there's not much space availabel in my computer! XD
Any great  bands from Austria?

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #340 of 2,536
Thanks...

Crazy thing: a lot of these bands I discovered myself, but after watching the BBC special about the history of rock...

I guess there's not much space availabel in my computer! XD

Any great  bands from Austria?

sadly very few, and the ones i love are already dead. Falco perhaps you heard, very talented artist who was mixing styles including rap and pop rock. He died in tragic motorbike accident. Another one was group Supermax created by Kurt Hauenstein, one of his most famous songs was Love Machine. Both were famous in Europe in 80s. I met Kurt shortly before he died suddenly, actually we were about to meet again when i opened morning newspaper which broke sad news :frowning2:((

Both these guys were great artists and talents.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #341 of 2,536
Just got these and am very impressed. They sound very similar to the XBA-40s-

Here are the differences

The DN1000s
-Bass hits harder, more definition, and a tad longer decay
-No metallic highs (It was quite getting used to how high vocals should sound like)
-Very slightly less clarity
-Teeny bit wider soundstage, equal instrument seperation
-More immersive sound (best i can describe is a better refined ATHCKS1000)
-Equal imaging/3-Dness
-Sibilant(!) - Changing the tips do help however (Using red rings + DUNU Silicon)

Never thought I would find a successor to my 40s! I've tried the ATHCKS-1000, T-Peos H200, TDK-BA200, XBA-H1s and still the 40s won over all of them. As always, i'll see how they fare after the honeymoon period is over. My rig is a 128gb CF DIYMod iPod 5th gen with 1uf Film caps + Pure Silver LOD + JDS Labs C5.

I'm wondering what changes you guys heard after burn in as these impressions were 1-2 hours out of the box.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #342 of 2,536
  I'm wondering what changes you guys heard after burn in as these impressions were 1-2 hours out of the box.

Glad to hear you enjoy them.

I had two pairs with me at once, one partially run in and a the other brand new. The pair with a few hours on them sounded a touch brighter and expansive to me in staging also seemed to emit a touch more clarity, while the new set (my pair) sounded a touch warmer and closed in, it was very marginal and you could A/B this for hours trying to come to a conclusion, I ended up saying bollocks and just listened to my new pair. so these are merely initial thoughts. After a few days they seemed to even out with the other pair. Keep in mind I was changing tips and sources, there's mind burn in to consider, I didn't hear much change in the bass to be honest.

The only time I've ever heard a balanced armature change noticeably was with my T-Peos H-200 which had a peak or spike in the upper mid range that subsided, if it wasn't for that I would write of burn in stage for balanced armatures because while I think they might need a few hours to settle in I doubted any long term changes personally. My pair sound great to me, possibly the best purchase I made all year, one I'll keep in my inventory and not sell on like one hundred others before them.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #343 of 2,536
Glad to hear you enjoy them.

I had two pairs with me at once, one partially run in and a the other brand new. The pair with a few hours on them sounded a touch brighter and expansive to me in staging also seemed to emit a touch more clarity, while the new set (my pair) sounded a touch warmer and closed in, it was very marginal and you could A/B this for hours trying to come to a conclusion, I ended up saying bollocks and just listened to my new pair. so these are merely initial thoughts. After a few days they seemed to even out with the other pair. Keep in mind I was changing tips and sources, there's mind burn in to consider, I didn't hear much change in the bass to be honest.

The only time I've ever heard a balanced armature change noticeably was with my T-Peos H-200 which had a peak or spike in the upper mid range that subsided, if it wasn't for that I would write of burn in stage for balanced armatures because while I think they might need a few hours to settle in I doubted any long term changes personally. My pair sound great to me, possibly the best purchase I made all year, one I'll keep in my inventory and not sell on like one hundred others before them.

Yes, seems Dunu experience with Musical Fidelity taught them good. Remember i was all happy about eb50, which was actually made by Dunu and fine tuned by MF guys? Now you know why i love high end guys :D

more funnily barrel shape earpieces are nearly identical to eb50 save for shiny polish, eb50 are matt alluminium.

And you will be laughing but i still keep eb50 altogether, no plan selling and eb50 are still the most neutral IEM i ever heard.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #344 of 2,536
Yes, seems Dunu experience with Musical Fidelity taught them good. Remember i was all happy about eb50, which was actually made by Dunu and fine tuned by MF guys? Now you know why i love high end guys :D

more funnily barrel shape earpieces are nearly identical to eb50 save for shiny polish, eb50 are matt alluminium.

And you will be laughing but i still keep eb50 altogether, no plan selling and eb50 are still the most neutral IEM i ever heard.

Curiosity still eating away at you Gintaras? :)

Yes, no doubt a very worthy entry from Dunu to end the year, their DN-900 is also wonderful, not quite as detailed as the 1000 but at half the price punches right up there. I've just been to occupied with Yamaha's flagship studio monitor recently. (full size)

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #345 of 2,536
haha mate, you know that's not :wink:

after stock piled i am not hungry anymore, and with 1p2 i can afford carefully move on without any rush because i know how it must sound now :D

seriously my journey with budget IEMs is over, i rather look at ASG2, FitEars, JHA and similar.

also having RWAK and DX50 amped by T1 i feel no rush too, so i wait for Calyx M to see if truly highend maker can knock out AK and iBasso.

you know my journey is well more into nirvanna and i already found great products letting me come closer to full way open rig or concert stage feel. so now carefully moving forward in small steps.

Dunu must be great IEMs but i am already past the stop at which i could consider them, way i am far ahead now, so no point spending smaller pennies when need save for bigger ideas.

and for fun i still have best budget combo c3+BH and H200 while EB50 remains the most neutral single BA i ever heard and remains with me for history :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back