Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Dec 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #301 of 2,536
I'm curious about the Dunu compared to my UM3X.  Not in terms of sound signature, which I understand is different, but in terms of sound quality. 

I'm going back and forth on the idea of picking up a pair of these or Westone 4's. Leaning towards the Westones on the basis of ergonomics and neutrality, but I've been waiting for the DUNU's to be released for a long time after being initially tempted by the H200 and am intrigued by hybrids.

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #302 of 2,536
Can someone compare it with GR07 and GR01?

Does it go well with metal and hard rock?

I have one GR07 mkI and although I love to listen to acoustics (Kiss, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant) on this ones, I kind of fell they lack a little bit of guitars.

Any suggestions?

The Dunu blows the gr07 out of the water. It has bigger, better bass, midrange is much clearer and has better separation and the treble is more well extended and detailed. The soundstage and imaging is way ahead on the Dunu as well.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #303 of 2,536
Which tips are you guys using, tried all the tips and I still feel very discomforting using these earbuds. They are large and I have a small ear opening so it hurts when I have them on due to stretching of my ear opening. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #304 of 2,536
Guys, can you please let me know which one is better Dunu Dn-1000 or Astrotec AX60? I've still have some time to pick, it is going to be 100 $ difference for me. The source is planned to be iBasso dx50. I mostly listen to some energetic music like ost's from movies and games/ music from trailers which mean I like chorus + electro + instrumental music. So the main goal is to make the epic songs sound epic. Also I sometime enjoy only vocal/chorus music and the least is classical. All the other time it is just random songs from different genres. Can you please let me know which one of this 2 is going to be better for this type of music? I've had Earsonics SM3, Triple fi 10, Klipsch x10 and though I like Triple fi 10 more than others, the soundstage on Earsonics was awesome and klipsch had great fit. However, I do not looking at those earphones because they lack thickness which I assume I'd like to had which lead me to hybrids area. I am looking forward to your suggestions and you are my only hope towards the right decision :) Also I must notice that I do not really like sibilance - it makes my ears hurt :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #305 of 2,536
  Guys, can you please let me know which one is better Dunu Dn-1000 or Astrotec AX60? I've still have some time to pick, it is going to be 100 $ difference for me. The source is planned to be iBasso dx50. I mostly listen to some energetic music like ost's from movies and games/ music from trailers which mean I like chorus + electro + instrumental music. So the main goal is to make the epic songs sound epic. Also I sometime enjoy only vocal/chorus music and the least is classical. All the other time it is just random songs from different genres. Can you please let me know which one of this 2 is going to be better for this type of music? I've had Earsonics SM3, Triple fi 10, Klipsch x10 and though I like Triple fi 10 more than others, the soundstage on Earsonics was awesome and klipsch had great fit. However, I do not looking at those earphones because they lack thickness which I assume I'd like to had which lead me to hybrids area. I am looking forward to your suggestions and you are my only hope towards the right decision :) Also I must notice that I do not really like sibilance - it makes my ears hurt :)

I think it's a toss up, although the AX-60 clearly wins to me if you want a richer and more refined bass. Dunu brings electric guitars out more with more space around it. I think Dunu has the edge on a more balanced sounding hybrid (especially if you use the red rings). AX-60 really does a nice job on drums. You can't go wrong either way. It will come down to your personal sound preference. I choose the AX-60, but not by a large margin over the DN-1000.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #307 of 2,536
The Dunu blows the gr07 out of the water. It has bigger, better bass, midrange is much clearer and has better separation and the treble is more well extended and detailed. The soundstage and imaging is way ahead on the Dunu as well.

I think I may have preferred the more 'refined' sound of the  Dunu - 1000 to the GR07 MK2, but I honestly thought they were in the same league. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #308 of 2,536
Honey Boy, can you be a little more specific?
On the same league you mean they perform almost identical or are there any differences between them?

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #309 of 2,536
  Have you ever got experience with Westone 3? If you compare Westone 3 with Dunu DN-1000 considering that they cost the same which one would you pick? 

I had Westone 3, and currently own DN-1000 and SM3, last week I had AX-60.

Personally, I'd go for DN-1000, AX-60 is better, but not $100 better, and DN-1000 fit and seal better in my ear, I had some trouble getting the perfect seal with AX-60.

Westone 3 vs DN-1000, hands down to DN-1000, W3's treble and mid might be comparable and competitive to DN, but in the bass and soundstage deparment, there is no compatition, DN wins by considerable margin here.

Perhaps people who listen/love rock/metal might prefer W3 over DN, due to the tighter and faster bass of the W3

hope this helps

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #310 of 2,536
Funnily enough, I love metal and the bass kick is important but not the most important thing in my view. Biggest factors I think is having a natural and expressive lower mid to bring out the guitars and vocals lower in the mix (some bands place most of the song in that range!). And also a vibrant upper mid to high for the dynamic accents of cymbals and keyboards. And then a nice soundstage for the 3D effects and immersion.

Very hard to find a headphone with the right balance. KSC-75 could be the closest, even with shortcomings.

Hopefully Im expressing myself adequately, still new to audiophile lingo!

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #311 of 2,536

Perhaps people who listen/love rock/metal might prefer W3 over DN, due to the tighter and faster bass of the W3

hope this helps

That scares me a bit because I've heard the W3's bass described as overdone and a little boomy.  I consider myself something of a bass head (have owned ATH-L3000 in full size), but these seem like they might be giving up a lot in neutrality. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #312 of 2,536

That scares me a bit because I've heard the W3's bass described as overdone and a little boomy.  I consider myself something of a bass head (have owned ATH-L3000 in full size), but these seem like they might be giving up a lot in neutrality. 

W3 is pretty bassy for an armature-based IEM, but in terms of a proper, textures, dynamic-based bass, it's hard to beat Dunu's.

I don't think W3 is boomy, W3 is tricky to fit perfectly, and yes, anything less than perfect seal, you will hear the 'boomy' bass

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #315 of 2,536
Dual TWFK as well as a dynamic.

Yeah just seen review on earmass.com and it's said in Bold that it's a Dual BA.  TY :D

Not sure why DUNU wants us to scratch our heads like this and bang against the wall?
confused_face_2.gif
even Mark didn't have a clue when he reviewed 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back