DUNU DM-480, DM-380 impressions thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #61 of 185
Received my review sample yesterday. First impressions OOTB are positive as well!

20200108_200121 - kopie.jpg

One of the sub-goals for tuning the DM-480 was to produce a kind of "subwoofer effect", where that room feel is almost decoupled from the rest of the music. Therefore, the mids and highs are of a slightly different texture than the bass.

Nice, this is exactly what I experienced upon first listen. The bass has the ability to 'shake the room' but it does not interfere with the spacious and well separated mids/highs. Very enjoyable. Separating the big bold bass from the tearing guitar in 'The Kills - Doing It To Death' is an walk in the park for these IEMs.

I find the bass tight, deep, prominent and 'dry' (no midbass boom here). Voices and instrument positioning are very well done for this price point. I wouldn't call the IEMS warm just because of the prominent separated bass, on the contrary, I think the mids and highs are more leaning towards the bright side. As a consequence they present a lot of detail, while the pitfall is that they sound harsh at higher volumes.

Again, this is just my opinion and first impression, out of the box, no burn in, coming from a LZ-A4. I'm going to take them with me for some time and write a proper review.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #62 of 185
Just got my review unit of the DUNU DM-480.

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-09 at 19.48.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-09 at 19.48.18.jpeg

Currently burning in, but from an initial listening session, it is indeed a basshead's dream. Fun sounding U shaped sound with mature tuning and great technicalities. Minimal harshness in the upper mids/lower treble region to me.
Bass is accurate and tight but with a typical DD decay and naturalness. No midbass bleed. Great subbass extension with visceral rumble.
Even though the bass is emphasized, it doesn't impinge on the mids and treble and skew the entire FR to just the bass frequencies. Nice sparkle in the treble regions.

From the brief listening, it seems to have better tonality and lesser harsh upper mids/lower treble than my current go to basshead set, the TFZ No. 3 (which is more expensive too).
Will leave a more detailed review once I have the privilege to spend more eartime with it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #63 of 185
Just got my review unit of the DUNU DM-480.

Currently burning in, but from an initial listening session, it is indeed a basshead's dream. Fun sounding U shaped sound with mature tuning and great technicalities. Minimal harshness in the upper mids/lower treble region to me.
Bass is accurate and tight but with a typical DD decay and naturalness. No midbass bleed. Great subbass extension with visceral rumble.
Even though the bass is emphasized, it doesn't impinge on the mids and treble and skew the entire FR to just the bass frequencies. Nice sparkle in the treble regions.

From the brief listening, it seems to have better tonality and lesser harsh upper mids/lower treble than my current go to basshead set, the TFZ No. 3 (which is more expensive too).
Will leave a more detailed review once I have the privilege to spend more eartime with it.
Impinge is a very lawyerly word :D

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #64 of 185
Glad you received it so quickly! You do have a geographical advantage --- SF Express logistics are very efficient (and affordable) when shipping to Taipei from Shenzhen. You may have gotten it even faster if we had stock in our Taipei offices, but it didn't happen to arrive yet. You also caught us during working hours (same time zone), so from order to shipping preparation to fulfillment, we were able to do it all within that afternoon.

People in other parts of the globe have it worse off, as they often order during non-working hours. By the time we notice the order, it might be 12 hours already. And if they order on a Friday morning in, say, New York City, our shipping and logistics personnel won't be able to process and ship the order until Monday the next week. This is something that we'll continue to work on and improve. With so many people on Amazon Prime and same day or 1-day shipping, we won't be able to compete with e-commerce giants. So we're also looking to do FBA. This is a stepwise process, however.

Looks like I'm in the right place :)

Semi-related question: do your Taipei offices only handle marketing/shipments, or is there a chance to test gear as well? I work in Taipei and I'm there almost every day, so given the chance I wouldn't mind to try some of the higher end models!

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #68 of 185
Oooo I like that orange color. Looks unique.

If there was aquamarine, teal, sapphire, or ruby, I would have probably bought two pairs, sound unheard.

I don't usually just jump on an earphone, but the description of their tonality and the looks...at that price? Well, my knees buckled...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #69 of 185
How do these compare to BLON 03? I am looking for something with a bit more sparkle. I like cimbals crashes to sound exciting and be an event but without added sibilance to voices.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #71 of 185
How do these compare to BLON 03? I am looking for something with a bit more sparkle. I like cimbals crashes to sound exciting and be an event but without added sibilance to voices.

They're both nicely balanced, but the BL03 is a bit warmer to my ears, with a more analogue timbre. The DM-480 has better clarity and treble extension/energy to my ears, but it stops short of being harsh or overly sibilant. The bass on the the DM-480 is more linear. Right now I'm liking the DM-480 more.

Edit: after A/B-ing more, removed claim that DM-480 has much bigger sub-bass impact energy.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #72 of 185

The overal trebles of DM 480 are more full of information, thus they are more details. overall they are brighter in high areas but they are not very energetic and trebleheads may want some more. But compared to BL03, trebles are more extended and details without any hint of sibilance, but still compared to the massive bass at lower ends, they arent in same quantity. But this is great if you're going to listen on high volume, so high frequencies wont hurt your ear while you crank up volume.

Agree with @Ziggomatic overall signature of BL03 is a bit warmer even though DM480 have massive fuller bass, because the bass have very good control without bleed, made the mids area keeps very clear but far away from being analytical.

and compared to BL03, DM480 have better detail retrieval, and better imaging. And at the very listen i heard them, they have smooth & mature sound.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #74 of 185
They're both nicely balanced, but the BL03 is a bit warmer to my ears, with a more analogue timbre. The DM-480 has better clarity and treble extension/energy to my ears, but it stops short of being harsh or overly sibilant. The bass on the the DM-480 is more linear, with much bigger sub-bass impact energy. Right now I'm liking the DM-480 more.

I did more of an in depth comparison of the bass on the DM-480 and the BL03 after I wrote the above, and I was wrong that the DM-480 has "much bigger sub-bass impact/energy" than the BL03. I'm hearing that sub-bass quantity for both is fairly similar, with equal extension (this is running both balanced out of the R6 Pro). The DM-480 is more linear, which allows for a cleaner, tighter bass presentation. Test tracks were Alright, by Kendrick Lamar; Three Ralphs, DJ Shadow; & 1st 44, Aphex Twin.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #75 of 185
I did more of an in depth comparison of the bass on the DM-480 and the BL03 after I wrote the above, and I was wrong that the DM-480 has "much bigger sub-bass impact/energy" than the BL03. I'm hearing that sub-bass quantity for both is fairly similar, with equal extension (this is running both balanced out of the R6 Pro). The DM-480 is more linear, which allows for a cleaner, tighter bass presentation. Test tracks were Alright, by Kendrick Lamar; Three Ralphs, DJ Shadow; & 1st 44, Aphex Twin.

Agree the DM-480's bass is linear. I find (with same eartips used), the BLON BL-03's midbass bump is of greater quantity than the DM-480's. In fact quite a number of folks in the BLON and CHIFI thread don't really like the BLON's midbass quantity, and BLON is actually gonna retune a BLON BL-03 MK2 version with decreased midbass hump for this reason.

Quantity of bass aside, the DM-480's bass is of better quality, definitely agree DM-480's bass is cleaner and tighter, and of greater accuracy and texturing. On some busy tracks, the BLON's bass becomes messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back