DUNU DM-480, DM-380 impressions thread
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #31 of 185
DSC06788.JPG Hip hop tester. 2 chains forgiven

Bass on the DM480 low end rumble has the grunt to make this track on point. So I have been burning them in non stop since I got them. And I highly recommend a burn in on these as the sound has tightened up. They now have a clean more precise sound to them vs then I heard them on open listen. I put the stock cable back on them as I feel these cables are best representative of how most folks will hear them.

The DM-480 has the resolution to upgrade in sonic character with nicer more capable cables. The sound profile now is much tighter with better imaging and with tighter bass end to boot. These are sounding like a higher end bass earphone more and more I use them and don't lack the reason why we get into the hobby. These have decent balancing and has a versatile tuning for more than just bass tracks.

I agree that the DM 380 is more consumer tuned earphone a damn good one the DM 480 on the other hand is a very likable tuning for enthusiast that want all of it, Good detail, Good imaging, Good bass. Is not as bass heavy as you would assume. They can't have the clarity they have now with a too much of a weighty bass end. .

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #34 of 185
Sorry...what I meant to say was that the 380 is a turn off because it has a fixed cable. I like the 480 more because I can cable swap.

I guess the fixed cable was to keep the cost lower as the NFJ shell had a detachable cable. Not decided on which one I'll get 380 or 480? Would be my 5th or 6th from this excellent company. I missed out on the 3001 on eBay awhile back which went for just over £100 used. i forgot to put a bid in.

IMG_20191014_231943.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #35 of 185
Dec 25, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #36 of 185
We have plans to offer a special package that combines the DM-480 with the DUW-02 (the cable on the DK-2001) and an extra plug, for somewhere south of $150

If you want compete in this market level, you need to do this (DM-480+DK-2001 cable) by $99 USD or below... because Fearless Audio and Shozy will destroy in 2020 with their new releases below $99 USD. Think in this.

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 185
I doubt that can be done for $99. Cable itself is worth that. There should be more read material about the DM480 very shortly. These are officially out in the wild so more will chime in I am sure.

They remind me a lot of the old Vsonic GR07 in tuning. Sub bass is the star of the show on these but rest of the tuning is monitor like. Mid bands are mostly neutral overall and fairly well balanced to my ears with a rise to the lower treble region. It is actually somewhat of a unique tuning which was done on a handful of phones I can recall. Ecobox explorer X1 was another one that comes to mind that had this type of tuning. Audiophile bass leaning more emphasis on the sub bass vs mid bass.

One thing that I ended up doing however is change the cable. The stock cable is SPC variety and while it is not a bad cable per se. A pure copper variety injects some fullness to the sound and smooths out that lower treble a touch. They sound better to me with a copper cable but that is not how people will be receiving the retail version unfortunately.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #38 of 185
I doubt that can be done for $99. Cable itself is worth that.

In the factory cost should be below 20 usd, I doubt be more, maybe the connector could elevate 10 usd more. But they need choose if they want sell like water in the desert or sell few at higher price, because 2020 we will have big fights. IMO

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #40 of 185
To be honest all I care about is. Instrument separation. And a healthy amount of bass. Not basshead amounts.
Just a nice moderate amount of bass that has EQing potential.
But if the instrument separation isn’t good, then it’s a huge no go for me.
I want the bass. Mids and highs to have ZERO bleed. I think that’s the most important thing for me.
That’s why I’m so UNDERWHELMED by the Blon bl03’s. They are too muddy. Too much bleeding.
Yuck.
If these are clean. I would order the 380’s and the 480’s. No problem.
But they have to be clean. Separate and nice. Not a muddy mess like the Blons.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 185
Your source is the 3.5mm out on a computer right? Try getting an actual dac/amp instead of buying 5 iem's a week and you may just get what you're looking for

Try getting laid a little bit more and maybe you won’t come in here all grumpy all the time.
Sheesh. PMS much?

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #43 of 185
I guess the fixed cable was to keep the cost lower as the NFJ shell had a detachable cable. Not decided on which one I'll get 380 or 480? Would be my 5th or 6th from this excellent company. I missed out on the 3001 on eBay awhile back which went for just over £100 used. i forgot to put a bid in.

It's actually not any less costly to do a detachable cable. We were merely not satisfied with the quality of the original cable produced by the company, so we opted to source our own cable. The cost goes into the overmolding of this new, custom cable, as well as our in-house drivers. Our margins are extremely low for the DM-380. As for why there are no removable cables, it was purely a product choice. There are plenty of earphones without removable cables out there, and most non-Head-fiers are more used to non-removable cables. They actually last longer. So the DM-380 was not initially designed with the Head-Fier in mind. But since there were multiple audio lovers from Russia and Japan who felt that it was up to par for hi-fi tastes, we decided to open it up to more people.

If you want compete in this market level, you need to do this (DM-480+DK-2001 cable) by $99 USD or below... because Fearless Audio and Shozy will destroy in 2020 with their new releases below $99 USD. Think in this.

In the factory cost should be below 20 usd, I doubt be more, maybe the connector could elevate 10 usd more. But they need choose if they want sell like water in the desert or sell few at higher price, because 2020 we will have big fights. IMO

Two things should be pointed out:
  1. Our Quick-Switch modular cable system is a unique product offering that no other modular cable system, barring blatant copying (which has already been done), can match in terms of ease of use and robustness. We have decided to offer the DUW-02 standalone at $79. This is a lower price point than the cheapest modular system offered in the past, which was essentially just a 2.5 mm plug with a set of adapters. On the other end, lockable screw-type modular connectors are being offered at $499. Currently, our portfolio of five different modular connector cables ranges from $79 to $399.
  2. The DM-480 + DUW-02 + Second Plug = $69 + 79 + $19 = $167. $99 or less, as you are suggesting, would be more than 40% off retail price. Not only would we be losing money on each item, pricing things this way would end up in a distributor flight because they can't make their usual margins. "Cut out the middleman" is the usual counter argument. Then, the consumer starts getting concerned about customs fees. Additionally, they would have less support in their native language, should their lingua franca not be English or Chinese. So it's very difficult for us. If we want to cut down the price to the point you're looking for, we'd have to substantially lower the quality of our product.
I doubt that can be done for $99. Cable itself is worth that. There should be more read material about the DM480 very shortly. These are officially out in the wild so more will chime in I am sure.

They remind me a lot of the old Vsonic GR07 in tuning. Sub bass is the star of the show on these but rest of the tuning is monitor like. Mid bands are mostly neutral overall and fairly well balanced to my ears with a rise to the lower treble region. It is actually somewhat of a unique tuning which was done on a handful of phones I can recall. Ecobox explorer X1 was another one that comes to mind that had this type of tuning. Audiophile bass leaning more emphasis on the sub bass vs mid bass.

One thing that I ended up doing however is change the cable. The stock cable is SPC variety and while it is not a bad cable per se. A pure copper variety injects some fullness to the sound and smooths out that lower treble a touch. They sound better to me with a copper cable but that is not how people will be receiving the retail version unfortunately.

One of the sub-goals for tuning the DM-480 was to produce a kind of "subwoofer effect", where that room feel is almost decoupled from the rest of the music. Therefore, the mids and highs are of a slightly different texture than the bass.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 27, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #44 of 185
I've had the DM-380 for a while.
Fit is OK, isolation isn't very good, though. The cable is a bit disappointing - it has a fair bit of memory. It's still manageable, but I'd have much preferred a braided cable with little memory instead.
Compared to one of my go-tos, the Etymotic ER3-SE, the DM-380 seem to be slower (but decently fast for a dynamic driver and just a bit slower than the ER2-SE) and I found them to be bass heavy, but not unpleasantly so.
However, I don't find them lacking in detail or instrument separation. Somewhat surprisingly, the Comply Audio Pro tips seem to add a bit of air where I'd been missing it with the stock tips.
Mids seem to be mostly natural, although they're rather warmth.
Treble seems to be well extended, but a bit subdued, so they can be a bit dark, but not really missing anything.
One thing they have going for them how smooth yet clean and clear they sound to me. Even old, pretty crappy recordings sound good and new ones are almost buttery.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #45 of 185
Two things should be pointed out:
  1. Our Quick-Switch modular cable system is a unique product offering that no other modular cable system, barring blatant copying (which has already been done), can match in terms of ease of use and robustness. We have decided to offer the DUW-02 standalone at $79. This is a lower price point than the cheapest modular system offered in the past, which was essentially just a 2.5 mm plug with a set of adapters. On the other end, lockable screw-type modular connectors are being offered at $499. Currently, our portfolio of five different modular connector cables ranges from $79 to $399.
  2. The DM-480 + DUW-02 + Second Plug = $69 + 79 + $19 = $167. $99 or less, as you are suggesting, would be more than 40% off retail price. Not only would we be losing money on each item, pricing things this way would end up in a distributor flight because they can't make their usual margins. "Cut out the middleman" is the usual counter argument. Then, the consumer starts getting concerned about customs fees. Additionally, they would have less support in their native language, should their lingua franca not be English or Chinese. So it's very difficult for us. If we want to cut down the price to the point you're looking for, we'd have to substantially lower the quality of our product.

These prices are for the consumers. We know the prices of the costs of fabrication without profits are less than this. In the minimum of 100% profits you are putting above in each product (in the minimum)... But you want do a entry level product to people know the brand? I say to you reduce your profits to sell more (in this case of entry products), you can keep the same prices in the other products.

Until entry level today it's offering nice accessories, look Tin T4, nice case, good cable, eartips, for $79... look Shozy Form 1.1 for $59.

If you do a nice pack with the mentioned products I think you will be very agressive in the market in 2020... I say this because I'm brazilian and 99 USD here is expensive for an IEM, we pay more than 4 times in each $1 USD... You need to provide an excellent purchase experience at a lower price to people pay attention, and if you reach the brazilian market sure you'll reach much more the US market. I give my opinion as a consumer, I'm not owner of the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back