DUNU DM-480, DM-380 impressions thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #16 of 185
These would make for perfect out and about earphones and sound great doing it.
The form-factor with an extended mic block and the declared easy-to-drive'iness suggests the same.
It's a bit ironic how strong we long for the interchangeable cables even for the cheaper units regarding how many samples we do buy and therefore what actual wear&tear will see every one of them. It's long past the questions of maintainability and straight into some modding department: what else we can unplug, switch, revert, cover with tape, and how it will affect the sound? :)

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #17 of 185
I am gonna have to dust off one of my older JVC triple dynamics. In fact was the very first triple dynamic the FXZ100. If memory serves me correct the DM-380 has very identical sound characteristics but at 1/4th the cost. Will report later on this. I have to find my earphones. Lol
71LgMhRONYL._SL1500_.jpg

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 185
For this head fi type a fixed cable is an absolute no go unless it's <$10 (ie.Sony mh755).

I am technically capable of rewiring to 4.4mm balanced but too flighty to make the time when there are so many other shiny objects around, like the DM480.....

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 185
Speaking of DM-480. Took them off the burn to take a quick listen. So I am listening to one of my all time favorite trance tracks using the DM-480. Oldie but a goodie

Dayum folks. The big bold sound of the DM-480 does EDM justice. One of the best earphones I have heard for EDM. This track sounds sublime using these.

these remind me of a wider stage version of the old FXZ200
$_32.JPG
I spend a grip of money to be one of the first people to buy one of these. Lol. I am getting better sound from a $69 earphone. Sound has advanced fellas is all I am gonna say.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #21 of 185
Are the current prices for 380 and 480 final retail prices, or are they on offer during preorder ?

As the shipping on the dunu website while fast is pretty steep for me at 45$, i might be waiting for both to be released on aliexpress ..

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #22 of 185
Speaking of DM-480. Took them off the burn to take a quick listen. So I am listening to one of my all time favorite trance tracks using the DM-480. Oldie but a goodie

Dayum folks. The big bold sound of the DM-480 does EDM justice. One of the best earphones I have heard for EDM. This track sounds sublime using these.

these remind me of a wider stage version of the old FXZ200
$_32.JPG
I spend a grip of money to be one of the first people to buy one of these. Lol. I am getting better sound from a $69 earphone. Sound has advanced fellas is all I am gonna say.

Man, wish I could get this pair prior to January somewhere... Have you heard the bqeyz bq3? That's my favorite EDM pair, and probably overall pair....

Yikes, just saw that regular shipping is $15 and 2 day shipping is $40. Seriously? Priority shipping an IEM costs me $9 at the post office. Bad shipping policies.... I like buying directly from the manufacturer as it cuts out middle men, but not if I can get free shipping elsewhere.

The price isn't $69, it's $84.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #23 of 185
At this stage of the burn in process. The DM-480 has a warmer tone over the DM-380. DM-380 has the more balanced tuning over the DM-480. But guys that like their bass big and bold are gonna dig the 480s. Will report back with some more observations as I get used to these two earphones.

As good as the stock cable is on the DM-480. I can tell these will improve even further with a good aftermarket cable. I was given a sample of DUNUs modular cable that comes with the DK-2001. Will try it with that and a few others I have on hand. I think silver might be the way to go with the sound profile of the DM-480. Good to have that option.

DM-480 will be the more picky iem over the DM-380 when it comes to your sources too. It sounded amazing on my DX160 last night. Being a more neutral reference type of tuning on the DX160 synergizes well the the musical full bodied nature of the DM-480.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 185
So there was a reason why this was packaged with the DM-480. Dunu rep you sneaky guy. He knows a thing or two about sound. Lol.
DSC06783.JPG In this instance we are talking about cables. This cable you guys see here is a much higher end DUW-02, RP of $79 Silver plated OCC copper cable in Litz configuration. Thicker more substantial vs the skinny stock cable. The DM-480 I am certain due to cost limitations has a decent cable. SPC variety. It is better than most cables that are included with earphones. However the DM-480 becomes a different beast with this cable. More spacious than it was before, expansion in both depth and width with this. Sounds more balanced with this cable. Mids have better clarity. It was immediately noticeable with the first track I listened to.

Much like the recent Penon Sphere review I did and how the stock cable is limiting the sonics of them. So does the stock cable of the DM-480. I can guess most of you guys will have your own aftermarket cables to try with the DM-480. I am gonna do some tip rolling soon but thus far. The DM-480 is on one hand a certain type of sound you get out of the box. Just know it gets even better than it already was with a cable upgrade. So the rule of not using a cable that cost as much as the earphones was made by myself for my own iems. To hell with that. This sounds freaking awesome with this cable. Lol.

I know a lot of you guys have no belief in cables for you the stock cable is OK. Just know your missing out. Lol. This cable is what is included with their DK-2001. Not fair the higher end iems get this kind of cable.
images

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 185
DSC06784.JPG So this was an interesting comparison. The old FZX100. DM-380 has the better clarity and I would say staging is similar slight edge to the DM-380 here. Bass is actually more defined in the DM-380 as well. So basically the DM-380 turned out to be a more resolving FXZ100. Sound balancing is very similar but again the slight edge goes to the DM-380 for having that added clarity overall. For a lot less money. Fixed cable and all DUNU DM-380 wins.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 185
The form-factor with an extended mic block and the declared easy-to-drive'iness suggests the same.
It's a bit ironic how strong we long for the interchangeable cables even for the cheaper units regarding how many samples we do buy and therefore what actual wear&tear will see every one of them. It's long past the questions of maintainability and straight into some modding department: what else we can unplug, switch, revert, cover with tape, and how it will affect the sound? :)

For this head fi type a fixed cable is an absolute no go unless it's <$10 (ie.Sony mh755).

I am technically capable of rewiring to 4.4mm balanced but too flighty to make the time when there are so many other shiny objects around, like the DM480.....

Yes, we did not gear the DM-380 toward the 'head-fi crowd' initially. As mentioned before, it was meant to be more of a mass market type of product.

So the DM-480 is really the one that we think will appeal more to head-fiers. And it was indeed conceived as a "bass done right" type of sound signature.

Despite having a healthy quantity of bass, most people shouldn't find it stuffy or overwhelming. The mids are very much still present and clear, and treble extension ranks among our better measuring models.

Excited for DM-480 - seems like it's right up my alley. Grabbed the red ones. Hopefully they're more red than pink, because they look kind of pink...

The body color is between red and orange, but not pink. It might look a bit lighter on the faceplate side because of the metallic flakes.

We do have a few more color options (including pink) that we're considering for future production runs:

DM-480_Colors_Alternative.jpg

Are the current prices for 380 and 480 final retail prices, or are they on offer during preorder ?

As the shipping on the dunu website while fast is pretty steep for me at 45$, i might be waiting for both to be released on aliexpress ..

The final retail price for the DM-380 is $49. It is currently being offered on our official AliExpress store with ready stock.

The pre-order price for the DM-480 is $69. This is also the final retail price. The pre-order is not a price incentive, but rather for early adopters, so that we can send it out to them at first release. There is currently no stock of the DM-480 anywhere in the world. It won't be ready until 12/25.

@Dsnuts received only the earphones themselves, and not the final retail packaging. The final retail box and packaging are currently still being made and printed. It takes a long time because there are a lot of holiday orders for the printing people to complete, and we're just one of many clients.

Also, PM'ed you regarding shipping costs to Egypt.

Man, wish I could get this pair prior to January somewhere... Have you heard the bqeyz bq3? That's my favorite EDM pair, and probably overall pair....

Yikes, just saw that regular shipping is $15 and 2 day shipping is $40. Seriously? Priority shipping an IEM costs me $9 at the post office. Bad shipping policies.... I like buying directly from the manufacturer as it cuts out middle men, but not if I can get free shipping elsewhere.

The price isn't $69, it's $84.

There are a few reasons why shipping costs so much:
  • We are using DHL as the main courier to calculate these costs. At the size and weight of the DM-480's packaging, it actually costs us more than the $15 cost of shipping to send it out to folks across the globe from our fulfillment office in Shenzhen.
  • We can offer alternative options, such as SF Express, or even a "snail mail" option, but while SF Express is fast, there have been some complaints about it, and the other option may take up to three weeks of transit, depending on how they bundle their mail. So we're currently still discussing options to help lower the cost of shipping. These are the methods that are often offered on AliExpress and other sites for shipment. Sites like AliExpress also often subsidize shipping costs as part of the platform's operating strategy. We don't get this luxury.
  • Our main goal for the website is to allow early adopters to get what they want early --- in the past, we've had a lot of lead time getting items their time of release in China to widespread release elsewhere in the world, and we're working hard to make this gap minimal.
  • In the very near future, we want to make shipping free to those who spend over a certain dollar amount, e.g. $150 (just an example, not a concrete number)
  • International shipping has only gotten more expensive over the past several years. For the volumes that we ship, we don't get the kind of discounts that people think.
  • Despite all this, we do strive to make shipping costs as minimal a hit as possible for the consumer, and we will continue to take measures to try to reduce these costs.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 3, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #28 of 185
Yes, we did not gear the DM-380 toward the 'head-fi crowd' initially. As mentioned before, it was meant to be more of a mass market type of product.

So the DM-480 is really the one that we think will appeal more to head-fiers. And it was indeed conceived as a "bass done right" type of sound signature.

Despite having a healthy quantity of bass, most people shouldn't find it stuffy or overwhelming. The mids are very much still present and clear, and treble extension ranks among our better measuring models.

The body color is between red and orange, but not pink. It might look a bit lighter on the faceplate side because of the metallic flakes.

We do have a few more color options (including pink) that we're considering for future production runs:

The final retail price for the DM-380 is $49. It is currently being offered on our official AliExpress store with ready stock.

The pre-order price for the DM-480 is $69. This is also the final retail price. The pre-order is not a price incentive, but rather for early adopters, so that we can send it out to them at first release. There is currently no stock of the DM-480 anywhere in the world. It won't be ready until 12/25.

@Dsnuts received only the earphones themselves, and not the final retail packaging. The final retail box and packaging are currently still being made and printed. It takes a long time because there are a lot of holiday orders for the printing people to complete, and we're just one of many clients.

Also, PM'ed you regarding shipping costs to Egypt.

There are a few reasons why shipping costs so much:
  • We are using DHL as the main courier to calculate these costs. At the size and weight of the DM-480's packaging, it actually costs us more than the $15 cost of shipping to send it out to folks across the globe from our fulfillment office in Shenzhen.
  • We can offer alternative options, such as SF Express, or even a "snail mail" option, but while SF Express is fast, there have been some complaints about it, and the other option may take up to three weeks of transit, depending on how they bundle their mail. So we're currently still discussing options to help lower the cost of shipping. These are the methods that are often offered on AliExpress and other sites for shipment. Sites like AliExpress also often subsidize shipping costs as part of the platform's operating strategy. We don't get this luxury.
  • Our main goal for the website is to allow early adopters to get what they want early --- in the past, we've had a lot of lead time getting items their time of release in China to widespread release elsewhere in the world, and we're working hard to make this gap minimal.
  • In the very near future, we want to make shipping free to those who spend over a certain dollar amount, e.g. $150 (just an example, not a concrete number)
  • International shipping has only gotten more expensive over the past several years. For the volumes that we ship, we don't get the kind of discounts that people think.
  • Despite all this, we do strive to make shipping costs as minimal a hit as possible for the consumer, and we will continue to take measures to try to reduce these costs.
Man, I don't pretend to understand shipping costs internationally, I just know that once penon gets them, they'll probably be $69 with free shipping.... So I know some of the sellers are set up somehow....

But if that $15 is DHL shipping, you'll want to say that. Most of us who've used DHL versus epacket, hkpost, Ali standard, etcetera, know that DHL is by FAR the fastest. I usually get things in 4 days from China with DHL versus 2-3 weeks for the others.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #29 of 185
@DUNU-Topsound any plans for the DM-380/480 to be available on Amazon US? If so, when?

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 185
@DUNU-Topsound any plans for the DM-380/480 to be available on Amazon US? If so, when?

Yes, there are plans, but the timeline is difficult to ascertain at the moment --- we were on Amazon in the past, but it wasn't managed well, so we're trying to get our ducks in a row for this go around. As for whether the DM-380 and DM-480 will be available on Amazon US, until the time we're able to get on Amazon, it will depend on whether our US retailers with a presence on Amazon will be selling their stock on the marketplace.

Last edited:
DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back