DUNU DK-3001 PRO - 2nd Generation 4 BA + Beryllium Dynamic Driver & Quick Switch Connector Cable
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #181 of 190
Took the advice and went tip-rolling. First ones on the block are...
IMG_20210413_091907.jpgIMG_20210413_092523.jpg
The Auvio wide-bore, side Medium! Didn't realize I still had a couple packs of these sitting in one of the drawers of my entertainment center. Great, shallow fit. The bore is wide enough to not obstruct the nozzle at all. These are certainly comfier than the first ones I had on and I find I don't need to insert them deeply at all. These used to be a great pick for the Moondrop Kanas Pro and a whole slew of different KZs. Treble feels more open, for better and worse. Seems like these were a little more forgiving of poorly-recorded source material with the other tips on, but that could also be a byproduct of listening on the desktop amp today (Monolith THX 788) vice the Cayin N5iiS or smartphone/ddhifi dongle combination I was using yesterday.

Glad I kept them after all these years; great combination. Have a whole bunch more to try out, but so far I'm really impressed that these DK-3001 Pro seem pretty receptive to different tips. With some pairs, doesn't seem to make any difference sonically whatsoever. Very different story here.

Apr 26, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #183 of 190
Would these be a noticeable improvement over the 2000j I am using right now, or should I save my money for something better?

The frequency response is somewhat different (the DK 3001 Pro are less warm in the lower mids and upper lows and more sub-bass-driven; their midrange tuning is closer to the diffuse-field target; they are less bright in the treble compared to the DN-2000J that can definitely be somewhat too sharp/shrill at times (in my opinion the DN-2000Js' tuning is generally not all that dissimilar from the Sennheiser HD 800) and accentuate the highs further above (therefore the DK 3001 Pro are closer to a "correctly executed", moderate loudness compensation curve)) and a matter of taste - personally, I prefer the more realistically tuned DK 3001 Pro.

As far as the technical performance goes - not all that different. Both pairs of IEMs resolve really, really well. Their approach to bass is different, though: the DK 3001 Pro are more BA-like and focus more on technicalities than texture and rumble, while the DN-2000J are still very fast and controlled for having dynamic driver woofers, but have got more of that (in my opinion highly desirable if one opts for hybrid IEMs) "dynamic driver texture and layering magic" (wherefore I like to refer to them as "HD 800 tonality with (Audeze) LCD-X bass quality"). Generally, since both resolve very, very well (my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors, Campfire Audio Andromeda, InEar ProPhile 8 and the NocturnaL Audio Atlantis are not much better in terms of technical performance than both (diminishing returns and such)), I would re-consider if you really want a technical upgrade (even if it would not be a huge step forward, you would have to spend considerably more to achieve an ultimately (real-world listening) "only" moderate technical improvement) or just another set (or two or three) of differently tuned IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #184 of 190
Would these be a noticeable improvement over the 2000j I am using right now, or should I save my money for something better?
My $0.02. I own both and enjoy both immensely. As CK Moustache rightly states, the 3001-Pro is the more realistic and natural sounding. The 2000J is an energetic detail cannon. I use the 2000J when I'm outside and on public transport using foam tips. This suits the energy they bring to the music. I use the 3001-Pro exclusively at home for more long term listening sessions. The sound is more relaxed and allows you to sink deep into the music. They are very comfortable and you can almost forget you are wearing them.

In summary, an improvement? Yes, but not significantly IMHO.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #185 of 190
Thanks for the responses guys.
I plan to use new IEMs at home and 2000j when on the go (with bass rings). Cable on my 2000j is almost done and it will take a month or two until I get them back (will send them to be modded so that I can use a detachable cable).

Should I be thinking about buying SA6? They are only 70e more than 3001 Pro.
Never tried BA headphones before and I really like the design.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #187 of 190
Checking in after quite a long audition period, not only with the 3001 Pro, but with many other pairs as well (wired and wireless). Here's where I'm at:
IMG_20210518_133311.jpg
I positively love 'em. With the CF01, I have gobs of headroom. This combo just works fantastically, though I will admit it's at times a little too polite for my preferences. Running them wired more than takes care of that, though, and it's honestly impressive how much subbass these little guys can put out without just devouring the midrange. Dunu's tuning here is extremely smart. Controversial as this may sound, I honestly think the P1 gives it a serious run for its money, though, and I would strongly encourage people who may be put off by the 3001 Pro's asking price to consider the P1 for something relatively similar in overall sound signature, albeit with a serious technical advantage...provided you have the current to give to it.

Otherwise, two thumbs way, way up for the 3001 Pro. It's a mainstay in the collection and I'll certainly be using it as a reference point for a "neutral" sound signature, both wired and wireless.

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #188 of 190
Does anyone have a comparison of the 3001 Pro with the Ultrasone IQ? For me, the IQ is the best hybrid IE I've ever heard - and I've heard an extremely large number of them. What the individual BA driver does in the IQ is crazy.
But the bass is also fast and controlled, unlike most hybrid IEMs where the bass sounds muddy and the overall sound is incoherent.
A few days ago I bought a 3001 Pro for around € 130.
The cable design from Dunu is also very interesting, although the cable quality from Ultrasone is also excellent.
I look forward to the comparison.

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #189 of 190
If anyone is missing free-flowing discussion and information on when we'll be refreshing our hybrids, we've got an announcement to make!

Because our product lines span so many years and have split into so many different threads across Head-Fi, we've received many requests from members for a consolidated discussion thread for all DUNU products, and we've taken the liberty to create one here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dunu-discussion-impressions-master-thread.961127/

You're welcome to continue posting in this thread, of course, but if anyone wishes to have a centralized point of discussion and one where our team members can quickly respond to any questions, feel free to migrate over to this new thread. We'll be making a small number of announcements in the coming days, and will likely be using this new thread as the main point of discussion for all things DUNU. Thanks!

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back