DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Sep 16, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #2,176 of 2,381
It sounds like this will be at CanJam but you're not sure if it'll release this year?

Will the glacier be available for purchase at CanJam?

Yes, the headphone is just in its initial alpha phases. We do not know about the purchase of Glacier yet or if we will be selling on site in general.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #2,179 of 2,381
Wow, outstanding design. Classy, yet modern and not boring. Well done. IMO one of the better looking IEM. Fingers crossed for the performance and price :D. Any info about release?

Can't share anything more until CanJam,

MMCX connector? :unamused:

It's the DUNU catch hold system which doesn't have the traditional failure points of normal MMCX.

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,181 of 2,381
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #2,183 of 2,381
Dunu Talos vs S12 Pro?

The Talos can be converted between a pure planar mode and a planar + BA mode (the latter configuration is way more resolving and technical, though much brighter in the treble). So in a way, the Talos is more versatile due to the 2 switch configs.

But if we compare apples to apples and just keep the Talos to the pure planar mode, it is U-shaped, whereas the S12 Pro is V-shaped. S12 Pro is hence more bassy and "fun" but the bass isn't as tight and textured, with slight mid-bass bleed. The midrange is more recessed on the S12 Pro and vocal and midrange lovers might want to opt for the Talos if you like your mids.

The S12 Pro has less natural timbre. In technicalities, the S12 Pro has poorer imaging, instrument separation, and transients. However, the S12 Pro has better clarity, soundstage, and micro-detailing. But as discussed above, if we use the BA + planar mode on the Talos, it beats the S12 Pro in technicalities.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,184 of 2,381
Dunu Talos vs S12 Pro?
The Talos can be converted between a pure planar mode and a planar + BA mode (the latter configuration is way more resolving and technical, though much brighter in the treble). So in a way, the Talos is more versatile due to the 2 switch configs.

But if we compare apples to apples and just keep the Talos to the pure planar mode, it is U-shaped, whereas the S12 Pro is V-shaped. S12 Pro is hence more bassy and "fun" but the bass isn't as tight and textured, with slight mid-bass bleed. The midrange is more recessed on the S12 Pro and vocal and midrange lovers might want to opt for the Talos if you like your mids.

The S12 Pro has less natural timbre. In technicalities, the S12 Pro has poorer imaging, instrument separation, and transients. However, the S12 Pro has better clarity, soundstage, and micro-detailing. But as discussed above, if we use the BA + planar mode on the Talos, it beats the S12 Pro in technicalities.

@baskingshark is spot on with these impressions! Thanks :)

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #2,185 of 2,381

Or you could just get one of each of the "top dog" planars and judge for yourself?! :)

All of them have something that make them special, but the Hook-X are still my favorites all around. In all fairness though, I have not had the opportunity (or the money) to get the Talos to this point. I am sure I will have some before they get discontinued though.... :wink:

P.S. It seems like you need a second mortgage on your house just to get new tires for an SUV nowadays... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Stuff like that has seriously put a strain on my "hobby budget" as of late.

Oct 6, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #2,186 of 2,381
Back of a Postage Stamp sized impressions of the Dunu Kima Classic.

• Gone is the shouty 3k peak of the Titan S. Not neutral vis a vis Harmon - but entertaining.
  • Lower bass is filled out without any apparent bleed into the lower mids. Still not too bassy.
  • Nice push between 6k and 8k or so for a bit of sparkle without making it overbearing.
  • Mids deliver a slightly set back presentation that is still quite articulate, not lean not too rich.
  • Depth due to mids being a touch back is very nice with long reverb trails and good sense of space.
  • All the includes tips sound quite different, I prefer the Candy for its more articulate vocals, when used outdoors but the S&S are really nice as well..
  • Dynamics are good with nice snap of drums and bassy percussion but perhaps could be even a bit more punchy.
  • Detail is respectable and timbre for me is much better than a bunch of other popular lower cost picks like Moondrop Aria, Olina SE and even the Letshoeur S12 and hybrid like the Phoenixcall.

Burn in is real, these change and mellow from new to about 40 hours or so. LG G7 powers them just fine.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #2,187 of 2,381
Or you could just get one of each of the "top dog" planars and judge for yourself?! :)

All of them have something that make them special, but the Hook-X are still my favorites all around. In all fairness though, I have not had the opportunity (or the money) to get the Talos to this point. I am sure I will have some before they get discontinued though.... :wink:

P.S. It seems like you need a second mortgage on your house just to get new tires for an SUV nowadays... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Stuff like that has seriously put a strain on my "hobby budget" as of late.

Back of a Postage Stamp sized impressions of the Dunu Kima Classic.

• Gone is the shouty 3k peak of the Titan S. Not neutral vis a vis Harmon - but entertaining.
  • Lower bass is filled out without any apparent bleed into the lower mids. Still not too bassy.
  • Nice push between 6k and 8k or so for a bit of sparkle without making it overbearing.
  • Mids deliver a slightly set back presentation that is still quite articulate, not lean not too rich.
  • Depth due to mids being a touch back is very nice with long reverb trails and good sense of space.
  • All the includes tips sound quite different, I prefer the Candy for its more articulate vocals.
  • Dynamics are good with nice snap of drums and bassy percussion but perhaps could be even a bit more punchy.
  • Detail is respectable and timbre for me is much better than a bunch of other popular lower cost pics like Moondrop Aria, Olina SE and even the Letshoeur S12 and hybrid like the Phoenixcall.

Burn in is real, these change and mellow from new to about 40 hours or so. LG G7 powers them just fine.

Thanks very much for these thoughts, guys!

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,188 of 2,381
So far, my most used eartips are Dunu S&S L size. XL just collecting dust, 'cause the material is thinner, so no real firm grip for the IEMs. Only possible IEM was Variations as its shape is pretty much my ear shape. CIEMs would probably also fit with XL. Really hoping Dunu will start to use same thick material as L and lower sizes. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,189 of 2,381
I use Dunu S&S size XL on my ier-m9's. fit & sound is great. grip the iem great as the Sony's have a ridge on the nozzle that holds the tip in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back