Dubstep Headphones
Sep 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fonebone10

100+ Head-Fier
Any recommendations for some good dubstep headphones?

inb4 Sennheiser HD25's, I heard they get insanely uncomfortable after a few hours.

On the flip side of the coin, I heard Ultrasones are good for that particular genre of music.

Budget: ~400 give or take 100.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 12
You can find some Denon D5000 or maybe some used D7000 for around 400-500. Both cans would do mad justice to dubstep if they're anything like the D2000 ( they are ). If you want something cheaper but still great for dub check out M-audio Q40's, they're like the FOTM M50s on steroids for about the same price

Hope it helped

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 12
I've got some D5000's, I was listening to some dubstep today and it sounded kind of muddy/distorted and whatnot. Dunno if it's just me

Quote:
You can find some Denon D5000 or maybe some used D7000 for around 400-500. Both cans would do mad justice to dubstep if they're anything like the D2000 ( they are ). If you want something cheaper but still great for dub check out M-audio Q40's, they're like the FOTM M50s on steroids for about the same price

Hope it helped

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Any recommendations for some good dubstep headphones?

inb4 Sennheiser HD25's, I heard they get insanely uncomfortable after a few hours.

On the flip side of the coin, I heard Ultrasones are good for that particular genre of music.

Budget: ~400 give or take 100.

Have you ever used them? Not everyone feels the same way about audio equipment as you. You also need to taken in the fact that not everyone has your head or your comfort threshhold. Another thing that's worth mentioning is how blown out of proportion some claims can be.

Once again this is another example where the subjectiveness of this stuff is just not understood very well.

I probably wasn't going to recommend those, unless you are looking for portable headphones I wouldn't even think about it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 12
My head is fairly large, and my comfort threshhold is meh. I found the HD650's to be uncomfortable and had too much "clamp" and initially, I thought the DT880's were uncomfortable too.

Quote:
Have you ever used them? Not everyone feels the same way about audio equipment as you. You also need to taken in the fact that not everyone has your head or your comfort threshhold. Another thing that's worth mentioning is how blown out of proportion some claims can be.

Once again this is another example where the subjectiveness of this stuff is just not understood very well.

I probably wasn't going to recommend those, unless you are looking for portable headphones I wouldn't even think about it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 12
In terms of comfort, the HD's clamping effect it ... strong to say the least. I had a good run with the Ultrasone HFI's last year 450, 680 and 780's and i've still got the DJ1's which would always be my choice. Ultrasone's usually need some form of half decent amp, but becasue of the elivated sensitivity of the DJ headphones you could give an amp a miss.

The HFI and DJ range are more suited to your Dubstep sound, however I do miss my Pro 750's. The Pro series are more ... laid back, more mature but they go deeper than the HFi's IMHO.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 12

i wonder if you guys can try it with ur 750dj and m50, just wanna know how it feels =P i lyk this tune

http://soundcloud.com/kingastma/quartus-saul-the-rapist-king-astma-remix

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 12
I would give the Denons another listen with a different source maybe?  I am pretty heavy into dubstep and the D2000 sound pretty spectacular and certainly not muddy or distorted IMO.  D2000 + Excision is pretty awesome.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 12
I've got some Denon AH-D2000 with MarkL mod and they sound awesome with dubstep. The bass was a bit muddy for me when I bought the D2000 but after the MarkL mod they were perfect. So you might consider that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back