Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #31 of 2,672
  hahaha. Keep your pants on. 

You're too late.  WAY too late.

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #32 of 2,672
  "3DG4 - This tube has different specifications and may not work in all 5U4G amps"

I think it should be made clear that this tube will not work in any 5U4G amp unless it has been specifically wired to have a 3 volt heater pin hookup on the rectifier socket, of which there are no commercially available amps in existence to the best of my knowledge.  At best the amp will not function correctly with this tube in the circuit and at worst you'll fry your main power transformer because of the higher heater current draw.  Glenn's amps are unique in their ability to use this 3 volt tube.

Those of a curious nature are duly cautioned.

If a 3DG4 is put in a normal 5U4 socket nothing at all will happen it has a different pin configuration so it will not light up just sit there.
I should have gave DG a Russian 5U8C with a adapter so she could have tried that one too. Maybe I will anyway she can still try it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 2,672

If a 3DG4 is put in a normal 5U4 socket nothing at all will happen it has a different pin configuration so it will not light up just sit there.
I should have gave DG a Russian 5U8C with a adapter so she could have tried that one too. Maybe I will anyway she can still try it.

Thanks for the correction Glenn.  My concern was for people harming their amps but I guess there was no danger.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #37 of 2,672
I am speechless and throw in my towel at the same time.  I won't be able to catch up with DG's collection ever.  
tongue.gif

Great comparison, btw.  Thx.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #39 of 2,672

DG, or Glenn . Have you ever tried the Russian Svetlana black plates 5U3C (5C3S) rectifiers? They're pretty cheap

I bought a bunch together with Clayton in August, I wonder where I put them. Clayton have you listened to yours?

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #40 of 2,672
Dear Dubstep girl,

I really appreciate your review. Impressive collection of rectifier tubes, and most of them are the best of their 'category'. I think no-one here has such a complete collection of rectifiers of this type as you do. That is why I think we should grap the opportunity to make the best possible comparison. What I would really appreciate is a comparison table of all tubes on certain dimensions. Kchew on page 1356 of 'woo owners unite' ( see: http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/20325) has done such a thing. But your collection is more complete, how do the new tubes fit in, and to what extent do you agree with Kchew. Maybe you can add a category such as transparancy, and include a category of best value... I know this is very difficult, but I would really appreciate the effort. For instance, I own the WE422a and the Cossor GZ37 fat bottle, black base. Despite being both great rectifiers, they are very different. Similarly, the RCA 5R4GY (1940) is maybe less warm or more solid state sounding than the Philips and Brimar 5R4GY, but it is still a warm tube compared to some others. Hence, a comparison list that includes all rectifiers from your list would be a great tool to help us in selecting rectifiers that fit our system.
I hope you will consider it....

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #41 of 2,672
  Dear Dubstep girl,

I really appreciate your review. Impressive collection of rectifier tubes, and most of them are the best of their 'category'. I think no-one here has such a complete collection of rectifiers of this type as you do. That is why I think we should grap the opportunity to make the best possible comparison. What I would really appreciate is a comparison table of all tubes on certain dimensions. Kchew on page 1356 of 'woo owners unite' ( see: http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/20325) has done such a thing. But your collection is more complete, how do the new tubes fit in, and to what extent do you agree with Kchew. Maybe you can add a category such as transparancy, and include a category of best value... I know this is very difficult, but I would really appreciate the effort. For instance, I own the WE422a and the Cossor GZ37 fat bottle, black base. Despite being both great rectifiers, they are very different. Similarly, the RCA 5R4GY (1940) is maybe less warm or more solid state sounding than the Philips and Brimar 5R4GY, but it is still a warm tube compared to some others. Hence, a comparison list that includes all rectifiers from your list would be a great tool to help us in selecting rectifiers that fit our system.
I hope you will consider it....

yeah, I did see Kchews table and though of doing a similar thing, but with so many tubes, I didn't know if theres a way to possibly rank them all in order with different categories as well. I tried to describe it all in words instead and compare it to some of the tubes. they overlap quite a bit in some aspects, and some things are too close or good enough that there won't be much difference. for the most part, I agree with what Kchew said and found most of the things he said to be true, with some small differences on some of the tubes.

I think the WE422A or GZ37 would fit just about any system, they are extremely good tubes, but the 5R4GY's are more average sounding overall, with the Brimar being the nicest of the 3, but also a little slower than the Cossor. using different categories could be something i could use in the future, but it seems like it could create more confusion since you would have to create a huge table and go through everything. for example, all 5 of the above mentioned tubes have excellent soundstage and pretty good imaging, it would be difficult to say which is better. and likewise, the cossor, philips, brimar are all warm tubes and it might get confusing trying to rank them like that.

Quote:

DG, or Glenn . Have you ever tried the Russian Svetlana black plates 5U3C (5C3S) rectifiers? They're pretty cheap

I bought a bunch together with Clayton in August, I wonder where I put them. Clayton have you listened to yours?

isn't 5U3C the 'winged c russian tube? i've been interested in buying that, i could possibly try that out since it looks nice. and the 5U8C is that big funky looking tube I saw on one of the pictures right?

Very impressive write up. I've never seen such an impressive comparison of rectifier tubes. Great stuff.

thank you!

"3DG4 - This tube has different specifications and may not work in all 5U4G amps"

I think it should be made clear that this tube will not work in any 5U4G amp unless it has been specifically wired to have a 3 volt heater pin hookup on the rectifier socket, of which there are no commercially available amps in existence to the best of my knowledge.  At best the amp will not function correctly with this tube in the circuit and at worst you'll fry your main power transformer because of the higher heater current draw.  Glenn's amps are unique in their ability to use this 3 volt tube.

Those of a curious nature are duly cautioned.

noted, I will add that to the thread and keep it up only as a reference for Glenn amp owners who want to compare it to other rectifiers available. thanks!

Hi Dubstep Girl,

Thanks for creating such a well-written rectifier review. 
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO, your rectifier review stands shoulder to shoulder with the legendary "Joe's Tube Lore".

ah yes, the tube lore, i enjoy reading the 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 saga 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #42 of 2,672

isn't 5U3C the 'winged c russian tube? i've been interested in buying that, i could possibly try that out since it looks nice. and the 5U8C is that big funky looking tube I saw on one of the pictures right?

5U3C: Yes they are.
The 5U8C is that tube you saw in one of Clayton's Glenn amps

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #44 of 2,672
I can send you a 5U8C along with a adapter I gave them to some of the guys that have my amps
If nothing else it looks cool but It won't work in any other amps they can't
handle the 5amps the filament draws from the power transformer.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 2,672
Brilliant post DG! This is absolutely brilliant for most Woo amp owners as well as many other head-fiers.

Just a suggestion, it might be a good idea to post a quick ranking of the tubes in terms of overall SQ and another ranking of the tubes in terms of value for money. Or to make things easier, give a grade (B, A, A+ etc.) or 5 star system to each tube in both areas. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back