Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #17 of 2,672
Wow, i just breezed through it there. Great write up! Thanks for taking the time. 

Now i will go back and read through it thoroughly. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 2,672
Dec 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 2,672
DSG - Awesome thread!!

A question about your Mullard GZ34/ 5AR4, is it single or double 'O' getter type (being UK Mullard)? I wonder have you compare the Philip/ amperex Holland double 'D' getter black plastic base 5AR4 vs your mighty metal base Philip Holland 5AR4? How much better is it?

I am currently also using Sovtek 5AR4 which I found more spacy (but more noisy & not as powerful) compares to the Philip Holland black plastic base.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 2,672
cant see the getter on my black base hard to see. its uk mullard (f32)

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 2,672
"3DG4 - This tube has different specifications and may not work in all 5U4G amps"

I think it should be made clear that this tube will not work in any 5U4G amp unless it has been specifically wired to have a 3 volt heater pin hookup on the rectifier socket, of which there are no commercially available amps in existence to the best of my knowledge.  At best the amp will not function correctly with this tube in the circuit and at worst you'll fry your main power transformer because of the higher heater current draw.  Glenn's amps are unique in their ability to use this 3 volt tube.

Those of a curious nature are duly cautioned.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 2,672
  "3DG4 - This tube has different specifications and may not work in all 5U4G amps"

I think it should be made clear that this tube will not work in any 5U4G amp unless it has been specifically wired to have a 3 volt heater pin hookup on the rectifier socket, of which there are no commercially available amps in existence to the best of my knowledge.  At best the amp will not function correctly with this tube in the circuit and at worst you'll fry your main power transformer because of the higher heater current draw.  Glenn's amps are unique in their ability to use this 3 volt tube.

Those of a curious nature are duly cautioned.

and in he swoops with words of wisdom.......
biggrin.gif
 Thanks for the info. Its a good thing i am getting a glenn otl. Do you have any tubes to add to the list for people like me who would be interested in collecting? 

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #26 of 2,672
Very impressive write up. I've never seen such an impressive comparison of rectifier tubes. Great stuff.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 2,672
Nice job, DG!  Thanks for the impressions.  I agree with you on most points (that I have had experience with).  Sounds like I might need to try out an RK60!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 2,672
Well, I've never owned a dynamic tube amp, but if I ever decide to get one you have my thanks in advance. At the very least it looks like I'm going to have to start showing up to Head-Fi meets, I'm extremely curious how those 'minty' tubes sound. I've never heard anything audio related described in that way before. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back