DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #511 of 1,091
I got a pair of DT990 Pros about a month ago and absolutely love them! At the same time I bougth K702s but I did return them, had almost the same (slight) amount of bass as my Grado SR80s (which are a lot better priced for what they do!).
Two days ago I borrowed HD600s of a colleague because everyone says they are the s**t - What people? The DT990s are WAY better, in every aspect (including comfort)

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #512 of 1,091
Ey, I`m looking into these for rock, the 250 Pro version costs almost US$150 now, wich headphones in this price range should be great for rock?
These or some Grado/Alessandro?
And I`ll use some amp.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #513 of 1,091
These sound quite V Shaped, the mids are clear but not as warm or smooth as I've heard they are on Grados, although I myself haven't got any experience with said Grados. It is personal preference but many people prefer Grados for rock.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #514 of 1,091
  Ey, I`m looking into these for rock, the 250 Pro version costs almost US$150 now, wich headphones in this price range should be great for rock?
These or some Grado/Alessandro?
And I`ll use some amp.

What kind of Rock are we talking about? And also you get a decent grado like the 225i but if comfort is any bit important then take my word, the DT990 pro is more than capable than pumping rock tunes well, I listen to a mixture to be honest between progressive(which they sound fantastic with, get yourself a nice clean and detailed source(CDAC+, ODAC, DACport LX) then get yourself a slightly warm amp and you could not do wrong with the DT990s. I mean granted if you are easily unnerved by brightness of a headphone then maybe look at something else. I think this is a great up and using the warmer amp helps smooth out the top.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #515 of 1,091
Haven't tried Grados but my DT990s were great for slightly heavier rock.

They are just a really fun headphone sadly I broke them (not a durability issue i'm just an idiot and try to mod things impatiently and not in the right state of mind)

Beyers are great though, getting some Custom One Pros soon and seeing how those fair. Honestly its hard to beat those 990s. They just had a little too much sparkle in the treble but a little bit of extra cloth helped.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #516 of 1,091
Let me first say that I went into owning a pair of grados saying "I am going to like these no matter what.' Mainly because I loved the looks and how they were designed. I tried soo hard to like them. I tried 7 different headphone pads, 3 different sound sources and 2 amps and they still fatigued with every combo. 

Both Grados and Beyer 990's fatigue when you first get them. After 3 days the Beyer's fatigue was gone. Even after 2 weeks the Grados fatigue was there. The Grados sound like they are EQed to 10 treble and the rest at 5. If that is your sound and you ears don't fatigue then go ahead. I personally can't see how any could like grados. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #517 of 1,091
Thanks for everybody.
I`m looking to these because of the nice price.
Everybody says they`re great for rock, that is my mainly music, althought I game a lot too, and for gaming these should destroy the Grado`s.

I`ll look for an amp now, maybe I`ll get the Schiit Magni or an cheaper E10k for now.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #519 of 1,091
  I'd recommend the Schiit Magni over the E11, even though I've heard neither. I have a Schiit Asgard 2 and I can say you won't be disappointed with their products.

I would suggest the E12 and maybe even the E11 over the Magni for the DT 990, the Magni brings out the treble spike too much on the DT 990. I haven't heard the E10K or E10 with the DT 990 so I can't really say anything on that pairing. The DT 990 with the Magni is a rather unpleasant pairing from my experience, it's cold, boring, and harsh.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #520 of 1,091
Hey! I have Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and amplifier Bravo V2. I like the sound,but sometimes i miss some  "balls"  if you know what i mean. I listen to Hard rock and heavy metal mostly. Thank you.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #521 of 1,091

I would suggest the E12 and maybe even the E11 over the Magni for the DT 990, the Magni brings out the treble spike too much on the DT 990. I haven't heard the E10K or E10 with the DT 990 so I can't really say anything on that pairing. The DT 990 with the Magni is a rather unpleasant pairing from my experience, it's cold, boring, and harsh.

I would agree. The Magni/Modi is too bright. Everything was shifted up. Less bass and more treble so it does not pair well with the DT990.   The Aune T1 MK2 on the other hand is simply awesome with the DT990.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #522 of 1,091
If the DT990 is too bright an amp isn't going to change much, put felt over the drivers to dampen the highs a bit.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #523 of 1,091
  I would agree. The Magni/Modi is too bright. Everything was shifted up. Less bass and more treble so it does not pair well with the DT990.   The Aune T1 MK2 on the other hand is simply awesome with the DT990.

That's basically my experience, I hated the DT 990 on the Magni. I found the DT 990 with the Hifiman EF2A a great pairing too, especially with tube rolling.
If the DT990 is too bright an amp isn't going to change much, put felt over the drivers to dampen the highs a bit.

I can't really agree with that because my experience has been different. I've noticed obvious changes in a headphones sound with tube rolling alone. Some tubes make all of my headphones on the brighter side and other tubes make them all on the darker side. Not to mention the changes in harshness, transparency, body, dynamics, soundstage, imaging, etc.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #524 of 1,091

That's basically my experience, I hated the DT 990 on the Magni. I found the DT 990 with the Hifiman EF2A a great pairing too, especially with tube rolling.

I can't really agree with that because my experience has been different. I've noticed obvious changes in a headphones sound with tube rolling alone. Some tubes make all of my headphones on the brighter side and other tubes make them all on the darker side. Not to mention the changes in harshness, transparency, body, dynamics, soundstage, imaging, etc.

Yes I would have to agree though my experiences are not overly high, but I have used a handful of solid states some very neutral and to the point of sterile which with the DT990s made the brightness that could be hardsh too harsh on some tracks, yet even with more budget priced amps like the Schiit vali, the treble though still bright with the DT990s had smoothed out a bit from the warmer than the neutral characteristics of the Vali. It helped make the DT990s (which I liked for some progressive tracks, instrumental, and indie rock) sound more smooth and enjoyable with those same tracks. I also just received the Fournier HTA2(hybrid amp hand built) and it makes it even more musical helps relay more detail than the Vali, and keeps harshness out while letting the bright treble sparkle along with clearing up the mids a bit. Still sounds like the DT990... that is not going to change, but a more refined and smooth 990. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #525 of 1,091
I've seen a lot of people saying tube amps make the 990's sound good. I really feel it takes the heart of the 990's away. They are fatiguing at first and hurt. But if you can endure this for 2-3 days you'll be rewarded with an amazing sound and detail. The detail and soundstage is amazing! And you can't forget about the bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back