DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #541 of 1,091
I can second this, mine have broke sometime ago, bought it used. And I am thinking about rebuying them. These were my first headphones and I think at 150 one of the best buys you can ever get.

It's essentially a fully fledged DT 990 proper at more than half the cost....open backed, plenty of bass and clarity, how can you go wrong ? 

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #545 of 1,091

It most likely is just a loose wire. If that is the case you can have it shipped out for maybe like $40 and have it fixed. 

I've dealt with those voice coil wires that break.  Pray that reconnecting it solves the issue.
If our buddy is lucky, it is an easy fix or the left channel wire in the main cable broke.  Replacing the main cable is easier and more convenient to deal with.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #546 of 1,091
It most likely is just a loose wire. If that is the case you can have it shipped out for maybe like $40 and have it fixed. 

I have tried to resolder it back on and I even switched the drivers and the left driver didnt work on the right driver's wires. But the right worked on the left drivers wires.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #547 of 1,091
I have tried to resolder it back on and I even switched the drivers and the left driver didnt work on the right driver's wires. But the right worked on the left drivers wires.

I like that. Someone who knows how to solder and has common sense. Suck that your headphones broke. I've beat the heck out of my 990's and they still going strong. My guess is the person before you wasn't very gentle with them. 

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #548 of 1,091
I like that. Someone who knows how to solder and has common sense. Suck that your headphones broke. I've beat the heck out of my 990's and they still going strong. My guess is the person before you wasn't very gentle with them. 

Oh well, I dont blame him. It might have been my fault as well but thanks to that headphone I got into this hobby. :D

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #549 of 1,091
Oh well, I dont blame him. It might have been my fault as well but thanks to that headphone I got into this hobby.
biggrin.gif

Some may curse that, your wallet surely will hate you for getting into this hobby. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #550 of 1,091
OK I got the DT990's and magni/modi schiit stack. So as a noob with a bit more enthusiasm for quality than your average Joe, this is a my first  real upgrade since my pioneer HDJ500's and let me say I am blown away! these things sound great in comparison to those closed cans, great bass, good extension and just a warm sound. you have nice separation and it just doesn't get better for 150$ now I can't make any other comparisons, but if you love rock music, these cans are for you and the schiit stack just brings these bad boys up a notch. without the amp you I would have to crank my pc up to max volume just to enjoy them, so the ohms just make it harder to drive on a small device. and the treble isn't as bad as people have said, not in my opinion anyway. still burning these things in and I love them as is. I'll make a video or something after I burn these in good.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #551 of 1,091
I have the Magni and the DT 990 Pros and find this combo to be a bit too bright, and at the same time the bass is way too bloated for most acoustic music.

I have a really good source, btw, that adds considerable energy in the upper and lower ranges, the HRT HD Streamer. And I'm using a SilverPlus USB cable, which further increases the detail and energy in the treble area.  

The truth is that when I go back to my original love, the Grado SR80 headphones, the warm mid-range returns and offers a different sound, but in my opinion better for most acoustic music and vocals.  Also, the bass extension is good with the Dt 990s, but the quality of the bass and the way you feel strings vibrate in the low-mid range makes me like the Grado 80 headphones better for a lot of rock, classical chamber music, acoustic blues, folk and even most jazz.

Even as good as hip-hop is with the Dt 990s and the Magni, I find the vocals to be almost too clean sounding. I'm listening to Outkast and 2pac and the vocals are so crisp they sound a bit processed. The main music that benefits from this particular set-up is EDM, which only comprises about 2% of my collection.

I may have to go and get the Valhalla 2 or some other tube amp, but I'm debating now whether to invest in a better Grado, or a darker headphone like the Senn HD 650. I do like the darker signature of my Sure 425 IEMs with this set up, but maybe I should give the Dt990s some more time with a better amp, or get the Dt880s 600 ohm?  It's all a trade-off, and the cost-benefit is a huge factor for me.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #552 of 1,091
It seems like you want the dt990 and another headphone, you wont change the signature of the dt990 with a tube amp.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #553 of 1,091
Yes, it seems that the Dt990 pros are good with music that involves a lot of elements, and with low bass-oriented tracks and electronic music, but I'm not satisfied with the acoustic sound. Violins in chamber music sound thin and tinny with my set-up, even compared to my Grado 80s, which also have a lot of treble energy. It's not that these phones hurt my ears, but that the treble and mids are out of balance, with the mids taking a hit, particularly in the upper ranges where guitars, violins, and higher-pitched voices are. Above that range, such as with cymbals, there's a bit of sparkle, which is probably why, again electronic and dance music are good with these. 

Some have said that the Sennheiser HD 600 are also a good bet in the sub-500$ range, for acoustic accuracy. They also seem to have a much more balanced tone. I think maybe I should have saved another couple hundred and got them instead of the Dt990s. Then I could have had well-balanced bass, and a natural sound that is a better all around headphone. Otherwise, I'll probably have to save even more and get the Grado PS500e, which are apparently also excellent for acoustic reproduction.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #554 of 1,091
I have heard alot of good about the HD 600. Soon I will be getting a few pairs of headphones for different music, but these do what I need in general.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #555 of 1,091
I just received my dt990s (250ohm) yesterday! Man these are great... Im really enjoying them for gaming and movies. Been using a e11 to amp them but would like to get a desktop amp. Checking out the magni, o2 or e9...any other suggestions?

Do the dd990s get better after burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back