DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #498 of 1,091
  Wow, that's ...odd.  Can't see a point of buying the regular then.

There is quite a few people who buy headphones as a status symbol instead of the quality of sound. With that said the cheaper 990's look outdated in comparison. I personally like the look of the pros. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #501 of 1,091
What's the difference between Pro & Regular?

Apparently the Premiums have less clamp, therefore you could say slightly less bass and more soundstage, but I personally haven't heard that for myself.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #503 of 1,091
Well, I'm not sure if it's the break in (about a month of use) or what, but these DT-990's have really come in to their glory.  The bass has seemed to have increased.  They certainly take advantage of a good amp. The motherboard and Klipsh Promedia power was relatively weak and did not do these justice.  The Scarlet 2i2 was a big jump up.  Then the Aune T1 was another jump beyond that. It's hard to explain. Not only did the bass go deeper, but it had texture from the lows to the mids.  I can now feel it bass on and around my ears. The Aune seemed to allow all the bass to be there while still controlling the movement properly so all of the rest of the sound was perfectly clear.  The 2nd most noticeable thing is I am now hearing things in songs I've NEVER heard before.  How cool is that!  Listening to old songs is a pleasure as the clarity is so clean now. 

I really like these DT-990's. For those who feel like these don't have good bass, I really suggest a good amp and allow for break in time.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #504 of 1,091

I really like these DT-990's. For those who feel like these don't have good bass, I really suggest a good amp and allow for break in time.

That seems to be the general consensus. If after doing all of that someone still needed more bass they could turn on bass boost. Over the weekend I was curious how much bass I could get out of the 990's. Needless to say I've created a bass canon that even the biggest beats by dre fans would love. The interesting part is with bass boost on it doesn't distort the mids and highs. I personally didn't like the overwhelming bass and the headache from the constant pounding on my ear drums. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #505 of 1,091
Yep. I'm not going to lie, I did turn up the bass in the EQ. What I love is the fact that a good amp can allow these to maintain the bass without losing clarity on the mids.  The detail is still there.  When I tried without a good amp, you can get the volume, but the clarity is gone.

A car audio manager friend of mine told me that weak amps can actually hurt speakers more because they are not controlling the speaker movement properly. I bet the same is true with headphones.  A good amp controls the movement properly, clarity is retained.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #506 of 1,091
Yeah these things are definitely capable of a lot of deep bass, "stock" they have enough for most tracks and then they EQ really well, and yes clarity is excellent on these things.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #507 of 1,091
Speaking of EQ, is it possible to have 1 Windows based EQ that essentially affects everything across the board (browsers, VLC, Foobar, etc).  That would be more convenient plus work for things like browsers. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #508 of 1,091
Speaking of EQ, is it possible to have 1 Windows based EQ that essentially affects everything across the board (browsers, VLC, Foobar, etc).  That would be more convenient plus work for things like browsers. 

I looked far and wide for something like this and came to the conclusion that most programs either didn't work well enough, at all, or don't exist.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #509 of 1,091
If I go to Sound in the control panel (Windows 8), I can apply EQ settings to the "High Definition Audio Device", but I can't do it to my Scarlett 2i2. I hope I can do it to my Schitt when it comes.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #510 of 1,091
I have heard of Viper4Windows being very good, but I personally haven't used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back