DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #481 of 1,091
Sorry about the delayed reply, I was working. The bass is present when listening but ever so slight. It seems like if I really crank up the volume I can get some bass. 

Thanks for all the help. I guess maybe I was expecting too much but wasn't expecting this little. Might switch over to a pair of closed headphones instead like the ATH-A700. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #483 of 1,091
  Sorry about the delayed reply, I was working. The bass is present when listening but ever so slight. It seems like if I really crank up the volume I can get some bass. 

Thanks for all the help. I guess maybe I was expecting too much but wasn't expecting this little. Might switch over to a pair of closed headphones instead like the ATH-A700. 

It sounds like they aren't amped enough. I remember when I first started listening to headphones I tried out a pair of sennheiser 280's at the local guitar center and they sounded really good. I got them home and they sounded paper thin and just horrible. The problem was they were 80ohm and most sound cards might do 50-60 if you're lucky. 

I listen to my 990's at volume 11/100 with 19/100 being the max without blowing out my eardrums. If you have to put the volume over 40/100 they are not amped enough. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #484 of 1,091
I've been using these cans for gaming and music for a few months and they are astounding. Unlike my previous headset (siberia v2s) I can wear these for the entire day and my ears will feel fine. The soundstage is also great for positional accuracy and I frequently find myself snapping around to the foosteps of an enemy behind me.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #485 of 1,091
Mine arrived today! Connected them to my granddad's stereo into a pioneer amp and they sounded so good! Specially the bass. It's not that club bass that makes your all body shake it's a very tight and accurate bass, and could go beyond 11 o'clock on the volume without going death. I think the problem is that this might not be the bass your looking for.

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #486 of 1,091
  Also, I'll stress that I'm not being obnoxious by implying that there is bass and I want more. It's the fact that there's close to nothing and I really have to strain my ears to feel anything. The thing is, I'm pretty sure the audio is playing perfectly fine so I cannot figure out why the bass is almost non-existent. 

I have owned three good headphones that I consider anyone buying for first time use and or just wanting higher quality headphones. SoundMagic HP100, which are a slightly warm closed headphone, with decent staging, a nice musicality, and mids that shine. Now they have bass and it is decent impact, also tight and controlled. I recommend these as one of the best closed headphones under 300. The Sennheiser HD595, granted I know many like the HD598 better, but I believe the HD595 after being modded are just as good or better depending what you are looking for. I opened up the ear cup and removed the driver so that I could then cut with both wire cutters and pliers remove the inner plastic grill and then the cloth material underneath, make these very good relatively nuetral with a nice sound stage and lovely mids. Yes the bass is not as fun and full as the DT 990s(which in my experience has great bass for a open headphone) but it definitely has more control and impact then it did before this mod. The DT 990s are my fun headphone, less neutral than the other two but also probably my favorite in the sense that onces you find a decent amp you can smooth out the treble(which can be harsh as we all know with some sources and songs) and makes these the best bang for your buck under 200$. Idk why you do not hear any bass worth mentioning from your pair and that is to bad because if yours sounded like mine, you would be very happy I think. Also maybe a closed phone is best for you like the DT770, or you can always try to get the Phillips fidelio x1 which I hear is very nice. I think a tube amp or a nice solid state should do you wonders with the DT 990s, and good luck

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #488 of 1,091
Thanks for all the responses. I'll hold onto these headphones for a week to see if these are the right ones for me. If only the bass was just a little bit higher, it'd be perfect. Increasing the bass using the Fiio E10 or an EQ just muddies the music without doing anything to the thump in the bass. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #489 of 1,091
Thanks for all the responses. I'll hold onto these headphones for a week to see if these are the right ones for me. If only the bass was just a little bit higher, it'd be perfect. Increasing the bass using the Fiio E10 or an EQ just muddies the music without doing anything to the thump in the bass. 

My dt990 have plenty of bass, but not too much of it.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #490 of 1,091
  Does anyone here have any experience with/know if a Creative Sound Blaster Z will drive the 250ohm properly?

I have and or had the recon 3d card from Creative, and I am pretty sure the Z is better than that one, have you gone on to Creative to check the impedance power and what it is able to drive, because I know the recon 3d was able to drive up to 600ohm hrsfphonrd. Now, I do not recommend driving 600ohm hp's with I do not feel like it has enough kick for that, but driving 3000ohm and under I believe it is more than capable and sounds decent for being a gaming card. So I hope this helps but if you still have reservations I would go to Creative and  check out their product section and find your card and then check specs. You should be fine with my own experiences with using the same headphone currently.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #491 of 1,091
Yes these headphones especially for open back have decent bass response and impact, but as someone had said compared to 90% of the closed headphones out there you can most likely get more bass impact, whether or not they would all be more enjoyable in the lower end I highly doubt it. Because I know from comparing the handful of decent headphones I have heard that I actually prefer the bass and lows of the DT 990s, and if you get a decent amp to drive them it especially shines. Just a suggestion if anyone is on the fence with their pair.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #492 of 1,091
The best thing about this headphones is the built quality! It's amazing, they feel so solid and they look very easy to take apart to mod or change a broken component. It's German engineering at its best! Beyerdynamic seems to be like Mercedes, you can always pay more for a faster car but a Mercedes is a reliable car. Hope you understood my analogy, it was the easiest way I found to explain the built of these headphones.
BTW I don't like Mercedes-Benz but they're really good/reliable cars xD

A photo of my new baby!

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #493 of 1,091
I am thinking about updating the look of the 990's. I've always loved the ad700x black hexagonal grill. I might mod my already modded 990's to have a new grill.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #494 of 1,091
I'd like to see how something like that would be done actually, make sure you post pics if you do it :). What mods do you have already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back