Dt990 Bass Rattle
May 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Delphiq

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have dt990s (250) hooked up to e7/e9 double and at certain bass frequencies they rattle or distort in one driver (left one). I have them plugged via USB to my computer but the Line-out does the same. It also did it with this http://www.djstore.com/item/novnio24.htm.

I used to have Audio Technicas (32 ohm), and they did the exact same thing, in the same channel. If therefore seems unlikely to be a hair or something because I opened them up and found no problem there. I would have though my amp was enough power.

It is not hugely distorted, just at certain frequencies and tends to happen at all but the lowest volumes. Driving me crazy as I other wise love them!

Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 37
might be the amp then.

May 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 37
Yes, the rattle or distortion is consistent with certain moments of certain songs.

I will try and open the heaphones and see but I have tried 2 other pairs and the result was similar. Back then I was only using the e7 and it happened, now it happens with only the e9 in use too (using line in). It is not a huge problem but is less than desirable from exxy 'phones. Thanks for all repsonses though!

May 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 37
I had this problem as well, it was so bad I couldn't listen at anything over moderate volume, as soon as I turned up the volume it was unbearable. I checked for a hair on the driver and had no luck in the end I found the white plastic housing surrounding the driver in the left cup fitted much looser than the right one I tightened it, but a bit too much at first and lost all sound in from that side then I loosen it a little bit more and the rattle was gone.

May 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
I had this problem as well, it was so bad I couldn't listen at anything over moderate volume, as soon as I turned up the volume it was unbearable. I checked for a hair on the driver and had no luck in the end I found the white plastic housing surrounding the driver in the left cup fitted much looser than the right one I tightened it, but a bit too much at first and lost all sound in from that side then I loosen it a little bit more and the rattle was gone.

i have the same problem when i boost the bass with fiio e6, i tried to fix it by disassembling the driver but it didn't work, notice that it sound very good and the bass is clean and powerful but without the bass boost, any idea how to fix it ?! ( dt990 32ohms version )

May 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:
When I turn it down, it does stop.

i still dont know whats wrong but here you go, thats the solution, dont blast your music 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 37
I have the same problem with my dt770/80s.  It's not a prevalent as it once was, you can try waiting and seeing if it'll go away, or send them in if under warranty.  Sometimes it's gone completely, definitely not as pronounced as it used to be when they were new.  Concerning not blasting the music, idk about 990s but I feel the dt770 is very bland / boring at lower levels.  I only use it for bassy songs, and to get the signature bass from these cans I need to crank it.  Probably going to sell them though, I just don't listen to enough bassy music to warrant keeping them around especially since I am planning on picking up some LCD2s... I'll need the cash.  I hope this rattle won't screw me when trying to sell them, I really don't want to screw anyone, but I have a feeling it's just a design defect.  It's been there since purchase, and tons of other posts detail the problem.  I suppose I could send them in for repair before sale or leave it up to the buyer if it bugs them & doesn't go away for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back