Dt990 Bass Rattle
May 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #17 of 37
I think I've been a bit unlucky but I've had these bassy rattles on both a brand new Manufaktur MMX 300 and a pair of T1s :frowning2:

Both times have resulted in warranty repair and I'm still waiting for my T1s due to a shortage of drivers for T1s or whole units. Guess they're too busy making T90s/T70s etc

May 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #18 of 37
Have the same problem on the right side...only occurs when the bass goes really low =/ I hope it doesn't get worse over time

May 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 37
Hey there! I have the exact same problem on my DT770 80Ohm. On my desktop, with an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard they rattle at some bass frequencies, and on my laptop with some onboard audio they rattle at the same frequencies. Lower the volume to really low volumes, it goes away. I once tested them on my brother's desktop on his Asus Xonar DX and there was no rattle! Same song, same volume, same headphones. Only thing changed was a different PC with a different soundcard.

So I don't know exactly how you play your music, but if you have a PC or two to connect it to, try and see if the rattle persists.

Also I do think mine has gotten a bit better over time, now I don't notice it that often. At first I could barely watch certain movies cause it would just rattle constantly, watching Breaking Bad was about to make me go insane.

May 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 37
I tried running my ipod output through my headphone amp and it ceased.

However, I have tried 3 different USB soundcards through my computer and it persists. Quite strange.

May 20, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
I tried running my ipod output through my headphone amp and it ceased.

However, I have tried 3 different USB soundcards through my computer and it persists. Quite strange.

lol maybe the cirrus soundcard (or wolfson if your ipod is older gen) on your ipod is what your dt990 really wants
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:
I once tested them on my brother's desktop on his Asus Xonar DX and there was no rattle!

The Xonar DX has very high output impedance, that probably changed the bass response, and the different resonance might have avoided the rattle by luck (or it was simply not the same volume, or just a random coincidence that the drivers happened not to rattle at that time). Rattle problems are most commonly caused by hair getting into the drivers, and they can be somewhat random.

May 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

The Xonar DX has very high output impedance, that probably changed the bass response, and the different resonance might have avoided the rattle by luck (or it was simply not the same volume, or just a random coincidence that the drivers happened not to rattle at that time). Rattle problems are most commonly caused by hair getting into the drivers, and they can be somewhat random.

Have checked for hair so many times, always found a few and it never really got better.

What I did forget to mention is that testing another pair, Sennheiser PC350, I got the exact same problem on my Essence STX. Only difference was it was harder to hear, probably because they are very weak when it comes to bass. On my laptop I don't think I ever noticed it on those but yeah, the bass is weak on those so might just not have had enough power.

Also I have experienced rattling from bass on some cheap open headphones, Koss PortaPro, playing from my Samsung Galaxy S. It's also happened with my AKG K420, also from my Galaxy S and iirc from my laptop as well. It seems I am plagued with rattling.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 37
I have this same issue with the DT990s, I have the 600ohm, and was at this point thinking it was the fault of my soundcard. Still could be, either way it just bugs me. 
Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread, but this is annoying, and nice to have finally found out it's not just me.

Left side for me, rattle happens more when not much is going on on that side, or when there's really low bass. Have also checked for hair. 

Gonna switch out to Titanium HD soon, will keep using the E9 with them though. If I still have problems, I may just look into grabbing something else, as
I've had these for a few years, and that's as good a reason as any to seek out something better/different XD

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:
I have this same issue with the DT990s, I have the 600ohm, and was at this point thinking it was the fault of my soundcard. Still could be, either way it just bugs me. 
Sorry for bumping a somewhat old thread, but this is annoying, and nice to have finally found out it's not just me.

Left side for me, rattle happens more when not much is going on on that side, or when there's really low bass. Have also checked for hair. 

Gonna switch out to Titanium HD soon, will keep using the E9 with them though. If I still have problems, I may just look into grabbing something else, as
I've had these for a few years, and that's as good a reason as any to seek out something better/different XD

My pair rattle too - it is either a design fault or clearly this was part of the Beyer DT990 brief

'Give the masses the rattle they deserve!'

smile.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #27 of 37
Can you tell if it's a rattle or blown driver? If it's all but the lowest volume, and it never happens on one side and nothing is loose, driver is probrably bad.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:
Can you tell if it's a rattle or blown driver? If it's all but the lowest volume, and it never happens on one side and nothing is loose, driver is probrably bad.

Based on this, yeah, the driver seems like it's blown out a bit. Problem doesn't happen with my HD555s, which honestly have just been sitting around since I got the 990s. And just when I was starting to upgrade my sources and build a flac collection X3

Oh well. I'll look into getting it replaced. In the meantime, 555s will be fine.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #29 of 37
Another thing I use to pinpoint bad drivers are test tones from here.

http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

Run a few of the 40-70hz tones and you can see when and where the rattling occurs.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #30 of 37
I would describe it as static that is mostly present at about 40hz, but is also present within the rest of the range the more I turn up the volume, and it is indeed only on the left side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back