DT880 question
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BriBri

New Head-Fier
What is a semi open headphone? How much leakage of sound is there? I'm getting complaints about sound leakage from my AKG 701.
I'm looking for  a headphone that wont leak sound but sounds good. I've read good things about the dt770 600 ohms.I' got about $300 to spend. Are there any others I should look into?

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 8
880 might leak just a little less than you K701, but you really might as well go for closed.

I hope you're not assuming the 770 sounds like the 880...it doesn't. See Zombie_X's thread comparing the various Beyers for more details.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Beyer are best for rock to say so. 

But less leakage. Does it even matter?

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
There is no reason to get the dt880 unless you are after its unique sound signature.  It leaks just as much as any open back, you can hear everything.  In that respect, it failed hard...semi open really makes no sense what so ever to me but it sure did sound great...but why not just get the DT990 instead?  It sounds nicer and has an even bigger stage.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
What is a semi open headphone? How much leakage of sound is there? I'm getting complaints about sound leakage from my AKG 701.
I'm looking for  a headphone that wont leak sound but sounds good. I've read good things about the dt770 600 ohms.I' got about $300 to spend. Are there any others I should look into?

Heya,

Gotta go closed if you want to avoid leaking sound. That limits your selection quite a bit. And since you like the AKG 701, that means you likely want something neutral and clear.

I just had this same dilemma. I went with the closed Shure 940's. If you can wait until Friday evening, I can tell you how they compare.

Very best,

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 8
looking forward to hearing about them. I find the AKG thin in the bass but otherwise quite nice. Does the Shure 940 require a powerful amp or can a portable amp drive it?

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
looking forward to hearing about them. I find the AKG thin in the bass but otherwise quite nice. Does the Shure 940 require a powerful amp or can a portable amp drive it?

Heya,

44ohms, 100db sensitivity. Should drive out of any portable player. An amp may help tighten up treble and bass or increase richness. I'll do a full test unamped, amped, etc, tomorrow after I get them.

Very best,

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
There is no reason to get the dt880 unless you are after its unique sound signature.  It leaks just as much as any open back, you can hear everything.  In that respect, it failed hard...semi open really makes no sense what so ever to me but it sure did sound great...but why not just get the DT990 instead?  It sounds nicer and has an even bigger stage.

I choose to disagree sir.
unique sound signature?
Do you call neutral sounding headphones unique?
Because they sound pretty much neutral :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back