DT880 Pro vs. HD650: Which will be better for me?
Dec 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
The first thing to consider will be my setup: Pro-Ject USB Box DAC > Matrix M-Stage.

I find my DAC to bring a very bright sound (random thought: It's still in return policy, could I find a better USB or Optical In DAC in the $175 range that would be better?), and despite the HD650s being laid back, I THINK(?) the 650s may be a good pairing?

Anyways, I'm happy wtih my ATH-AD700s, but would like more bass.  I'm happy with my MS-1s, but I would also like more bass, and would like more soundstage.

Will either of the headphones be powered properly by my M-Stage?

I'm wary of the DT880s because supposedly they are very bright, yet at the same time I typically like a brighter sound.  Problem is my current DAC/Amp pairing is bringing a pretty forward/bright sound.  Perhaps the DT880s would be too bright?

Also, keep in mind I can get the HD650s for aboutttt... well, cheap.  $275 before tax.........

Music selection: Pretty much very varied currently, but I've consistently been listening to LTE, DMB, Diana Krall, IM, Opeth, & Cave In.  Yeah, not exactly the most categorically equal selections.

Thanks for the input.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 8
If you enjoy the more forward highs of Grados, the DT880 might be a good match for you. I found them a little bright, fast and forward the way Grados are, but more neutral. Though the HD-650 is a fine headphone. I loved having both, so you might be happy with either.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:

Also, keep in mind I can get the HD650s for aboutttt... well, cheap.  $275 before tax.........

Hi I3eyond,

I have not heard the HD 650 or the BT 880 however I wanted to share that I have been looking for new headphones too and ...

It seems like there is a big following for the BT 880 600 ohms version.  I am not sure what the real difference in sound is but many people with much more experience than I seem to like them better than the 250 ohm version that you mentioned. 
I have a pair on order that I am hoping to get tomorrow that were only ~$225 from an authorized dealer so they can be had for not too much. I decided to go with the 600 ohms version rather than feel bad everytime I saw a thread about how the 600 ohm version was better hehe but again I have never heard them.

Anyway I hope that helps some.

DV

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 8
i have never heard the ATH-AD700 that you currently own, but from the graphs i have seen on HeadRoom (i like graphs), it looks like the HD650 will be close in terms of mid-range and treble but will be warmer and have more bass. it looks like a lot more bass and deeper extension as well.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 8

I enjoyed my MS-1s before I got my Pro-Ject USB DAC, but it's so bright now with this source that it's almost intolerable.

Sooo, this kind of scares me away from the DT880s.  Yet, at the same time, after owning the DT770 Pro-80s, I feel like Beyer makes a very good product.

The biggest question I still have, because I constantly see people saying that "your amp ______ is not good enough to power the HD650s" .. Still wondering if this is the case or not with my Matrix M-Stage.
Quote:
If you enjoy the more forward highs of Grados, the DT880 might be a good match for you. I found them a little bright, fast and forward the way Grados are, but more neutral. Though the HD-650 is a fine headphone. I loved having both, so you might be happy with either.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Anyone?  Particularly on the Matrix M-Stage + HD650 question?

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 8
 I would say that if you found your Grados bright on your source, the DT880 will be an intolerable mess. I find them brighter than the pair of SR225i that preceded them, sometimes almost too bright on really poor, trebly recordings. I like charts, too, so here's another one:

The DT880 has a bit more midrange/lower midrange presence and a lot more bass extension (NOT quantity!) than the AD700. The treble, from what I've read and seen in measurements, is similar between the DT770 and DT880. The former has a dip around about 4kHz, though, whereas the DT880 is pretty flat all the way until its treble spike. All that upper midrange/lower treble contributes to the airy and treble-forward signature of the DT880, but it can also cause fatigue in those who are sensitive. The overall signature is a bit tipped toward the treble end of the spectrum, with a little less fundamental and "grounding" than some are comfortable with. I've heard similar impressions of the AD700 (always wanted to hear one), so maybe this will work for you.

I disagree with the previous assessment. The HD650 has a LOT more midrange/lower midrange than the AD700, and it lacks a treble spike in the usual sense. It will thus sound completely different from (much warmer/darker than) the AD700, as it is pretty much the antithesis of the Beyer sound, which of the two is far more similar to the AD700. As a complimentary can, it might be a nice change of pace as the DT880 is yet another midrange/treble-focused model to add to the two such headphones you already have and are happy with.

You might find this link interesting (if you haven't already seen the thread that was floating around here about it):

http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, that link is what made me think between these two cans to begin with.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back