DT880 600ohm driven through an iPod (Rather Successfully)
May 14, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #31 of 32

Quote:
The E7/E9 should be a no go for any headphone, regardless of power requirements. They have a cult following because it looks like a cool toy, which is all it is.

+1.
I just bought DT880/600 and the E9 amp, based on what I read on head-fi forums. I must say I'm very disappointed. The E9 clearly doesn't drive them to their best, and my Sony mdr-v6 headphones sound much better (btw, the E9 does improve the sound of the v6).

May 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 32
I have a similar thing to the op with my DT 990 Pro headphones when plugged into my laptop or my television headphone socket...the sound is loud enough, noticeably restrained and duller, but you do get the good stuff still. Without the harshness. The first thing that happens when I amp them is they sound much fuller and a bit more effortless and sure footed - but straight away along with it comes harshness all over. Sometimes it's great but most of the time it's a bit much for me, and I love up front sounding headphones but for me I prefer my DT 990 Pro's unamped if I'm being totally honest. It's just a much easier listen and you still get the wide soundstage and clarity of details plus the excellent imaging but without the harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back